nibbling on dead leaves

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thbunns

Reaction score
Hey!
My bunn Hidey loves autumn leaves! Hopping on them, throwing them, andeven munching on them. Is this okay? I stop him everytime but he grabsanother before I know it! I honestly don't think it's bad BUT I wantedto make sure..

How cute is he!?

2005_1119hideynov190015.jpg

Thanks & have a nice day
Geri

At the rabbit show I attended - there wererabbit breeders who brought along small bags of dead maple leaves forthe rabbits to chew on. They said that the rabbits liked themand they never saw any ill effects from feeding them the leaves.

My bunnies eat stuff in my garden like grass and dead leaves and they are fine with it.

It all depends on the type of leaf.There are some leaves that are not good for rabbits (some are evenposionous). On the other side, there are some leaves that arehealthy for rabbits. It doesn't matter if they are deadleaves or alive, all that matters is the species of the leaf.I would say educate yourself on the trees in your yard and whether theyare safe for your bunny or not.

To get you started, The leaf in the buns mouth and some of the pilebehind him are oak leaves and oak leaves are not good for a rabbit ifeaten. There are also maple leaves in the pile and mapleleaves are OK for rabbits. I might be wrong, but I think Ialso see a beech or cherry leaf, both of those are bad forbunnies. But if I am wrong and it is a yellow birch leaf thenit is OK. See how crazy leaf IDing can get and their effecton your pets.

Latest posts

Back