Newspapers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holland_Lop

Reaction score
My bunkeeps standing outside his litter box while he eats his hay, instead of jumping inside. So, to keep him from peeing and pooping on his cage, i've been placing newspaper down to catch the pee and poop. Im afraid that it's not safe to have him sitting on newspaper?

What do you think?

News paper is non toxic. Soy based inks are used, so it is safe if eaten in small amounts. The newspaper can stain the paws, but it should be fine and just cosmetic. Newspaper is not absorbent, so not really the best thing to use.

I would move the hay so he has to be in the litter box to eat the hay. This can mean putting it in a different spot or higher up in the cage.

I used to use newspaper as litter. Free, but stained paws and has puddling issues. I heard somewhere that many vets use newspaper. As far as I know it is safe, just be careful of staples (some papers come stapled).

I agree with the others - it's safe to use, but it's not particularly absorbent and it stains little feet (at least until the next shed). If you can position the hay rack above the litter box so he has to eat hay from inside the box, you might not need it.

Latest posts

Back