Newly adopted bun, just spayed, not pooping!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been seeing more poops in her cage today, still the hard, tiny kind, but I can tell they are getting healthier as the day has gone on. It's still not perfect but she is starting to nibble more hay (haven't really got her to eat any pellets or any tiny pieces of veggie so far, but I don't know that she ever had any before, so I am not really fretting on that)

Still I would like to see some poo from her neighbor (he has always been a pretty awesome pooper, I have to say) showing up on her side.

The thing I am worried about right now is when should I stop using the syringe? I don't want to stress her and I already feel like I am hurting the bond we could build right now, even though it is necessary. She's not eating enough on her own, but while I am supplementing her with critical care, I imagine that she isn't going to be as hungry. And while I don't want to take a step backwards or let her gut slow down again, I don't really know what the protocol is on that.

I noticed today on her daily tummy check her fur is already starting to grow back in in some places, but where it isn't is raw and hard and red like she has been over grooming it. I don't want her to open herself up to infections, and there is no cuts or pus or anything. Probably just worrying over nothing, but I can't think of anything to soothe her skin that won't irritate her or cause her to lick more. Probably should just leave it alone.

I would keep syringing her - you'll be able to tell when she's got her appetite back for real. they're grazers, used to eating throughout the day, and if she's recovering from a spay in a small cage she won't have much to do but munch on stuff - whether you're syringe feeding or not, you'll see a noticeable increase in hay munching.

as for the tummy, any chance you can get ahold of some vet wrap (no chew bandage stuff that sticks to itself)? you can put a gauze pad over her tummy (so the vet wrap doesn't irritate it) and wrap some vet wrap around her a couple times (it's tricky with all the wiggling around, but doable). my little Nala was licking constantly at first and the area was getting red, so I bandaged her up for about a day. (I called the vet to confirm that it was ok and was told yes, as long as I was still checking on the wound once a day)

The fur is growing in well and she doesn't have her full appetite back yet, but she is eating unassisted and pooping enough for me to live with, but isn't quite back to herself yet. Her stomach is now got more fur around where the stitches were and under that towards her bum, but about it to about her rib cage is covered in the crusty yellow skin that is hard to the touch (and quite gross, though I would never tell her that o.0). It isn't pus, it is like a thick sheet of crusty skin. She is trying to peel it off, and the skin underneath is pink and healthy looking with no holes or scabs, though it looks like it needs the air. My questions;
1. Should I (gently) help her peel it off with warm water on the pieces that are ready to come off? Should I just let her do it?
2. I haven't ever seen yellow crusty skin before, and I don't know what else it could be?
3. I haven't had a rabbit that has kept me posting in infirmary this long since the pretty little lionhead I had with head tilt, am I freaking out over nothing and should I just let the fur grow in under the crust?

Imbrium, I haven't seen this vet wrap, but it sounds like a good idea. I will contact my vet as soon as I hear back from her about the tummy crust (I already called and left a message, but I guess since she is a shelter vet she keeps weird hours).

I don't know about the crusty skin. With the decreased appetite and pooping, sometimes when a rabbit has had GI problems, they benefit from reducing or eliminating the pellets in their diet, and giving unlimited hay and some green leafy veggies. Hay is really the best thing to get their digestion back to normal. If the poops aren't the normal round ones, irregular or too small or too big, probiotic gel might help. You could ask your vet about it.

I got my vet wrap from http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=GR541 along with critical care, probiotics, etc. for my first aid kit... getting it from the vet's probably cheaper, though, as shipping is pretty brutal from that site if you only place a very small order. I'm not sure whether or not it should be wrapped with the way the skin is right now, so it's probably a good idea to get your vet's opinion on it.

Latest posts

Back