Newborns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Second Star

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Well after I rescued the mom rabbit and her 6 week old babies 3 weeks ago, I go back to the place where I got them and they tell me one of their rabbits just has babies last night. Apparently she wasn't taking care of them and only 2 survived. SO they gave me the two babies (or they would be fed to a snake), so even though they probably will not make it, I am going to try giving them a chance. So if anyone has info of raising babies let me know. I go from having 0 rabbits to 7 to now 9! Lord, what am I going to do with so many?

If your mother bunny is still producing some milk, you should see if you can get her to feed the two newborns.

You can hold her upside down in a bunny trance if she will let you, and gently hold the babies to a nipple to feed for a minute or two.

Or if she won't let you flip her, place her on a table and hold a baby to the nipple.

You have to be care full that the momma bunny doesn't get upset and accidently kick or step on one of the babies.

The other route you can go is feeding the babies KMR (kitten milk replacer). I did a lot of internet searches on the subject of bottle feeding babies, and had to sort through lots of info.But the best I think is to try to bottle feed, with the little kitten bottles.

You have to trim the nipple of the bottle a little bit to get a nice stream when the bottle is squeezed, not a spray and not a slow drip.

The babies should only be fed a few times a day, over feeding can killn them. And watch out for milk getting into their lungs, that will be fatal.

I'm sure some other members will have some good info for you too.

Try doing a google search on Hand feeding baby rabbits or bottle feeding baby rabbits.

Good luck.

--Dawn

I hand raised a netherland many years back, but she was 3 days old. I used evaporated milk mixed 50/50 with water, with a egg mixed in it and 1/2 tsp corn syrup. I used an eyedropper(had to place a drop in her mouth at a time atfirst, till she was about 10 days old) Also something that nobody thinks about,rubbing the bunnies tummy and genital area to stimulate urinationect, just like the mother does. Bunny won't try to eat if they need to go..........hope you get this in time...if not it might help someonein the future........

Latest posts

Back