Newborn rabbit not gaining weight?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeslaTheBunny

Reaction score
Hello, can someone let me know how much weight newborn rabbits should be gaining each day? My holland lop kit is almost 3 days old and weighed 1.25 ounces after his first feeding(1 day old), 1.25 ounces on day 2, and 1.3 ounces today? Is this ok? He is definitely being well fed, his stomach is round and huge. Thanks!

If his belly is round and full, then i would believe there's no problem, just keep checking on them daily, they'll grow but not like bamboo.

It's a singleton? He does have a cosy and well insulated nest, right?
I too would think he's ok when he's fed. Can't tell about the weight, never felt the need to check that, I try to not disturb them more than necessary during the first week.

Holland Lops are not a breed with the dwarf gene, right?

It's a singleton? He does have a cosy and well insulated nest, right?
I too would think he's ok when he's fed. Can't tell about the weight, never felt the need to check that, I try to not disturb them more than necessary during the first week.

Holland Lops are not a breed with the dwarf gene, right?
He had a peanut sibling but unfortunately that one passed away yesterday morning. I am heating the room he is in to 80 degrees and he has lots of hair, fur, and a hand warmer wrapped in a towel.

I just don't want the baby to freeze in case the handwarmer runs out before I can get to him.
I understand, if he growing fur, with mama’s fur and the hay he should be fine if the warmer does run out for just a little while (still keep it in). Mama will also pull more fur if she things he’s cold.

Sorry for so many questions. Mama seems to have stopped feeding him. I woke up this morning and he is still his squirmy self but his belly doesn't look round(although not wrinkly either). I tried placing him under mom and he did latch but I don't think any milk came out. I purchased kitten milk replacer, colostrum, and heavy cream but the problem is this was an unexpected litter and I'm going out of town from wednesday evening to sunday evening. Originally I had a friend who was going to watch him and his parents but now that it looks like he will need to be handfed I am having second thoughts. My options are either bringing him with me out of town(but I can't bring mom), having the friend care for him still, or there is another person I know who has 11 day old rabbit kits who would be willing to foster him(he is only 4 days old though). Any advice would be so much appreciated. Mom had 4 kits, 2 were stillborn and 1 was a peanut so I am devastated at the thought that this guy could die.

@TeslaTheBunny what a horrible situation you’ve been thrust into! Hand feeding can work for now. Try giving mama Calf-Mana to help her produce milk, also give her extra pellets, make sure she always has hay and give her fresh veggies. If she still isn’t producing milk can you teach the original pet sitter how to feed the kit? You could also look into breeders in your area see if they’ll foster your kit.

@TeslaTheBunny what a horrible situation you’ve been thrust into! Hand feeding can work for now. Try giving mama Calf-Mana to help her produce milk, also give her extra pellets, make sure she always has hay and give her fresh veggies. If she still isn’t producing milk can you teach the original pet sitter how to feed the kit? You could also look into breeders in your area see if they’ll foster your kit.
You have been so helpful! I will get calf-mana, would you reccommend bringing the kit with me as opposed to the pet sitter?

It’s up to you, but when I had my kits, I decided not to move them in a car until they were 2 weeks. The kits mama might also not take the baby back if you take it away for a few days. Is the pet sitter staying at your house? Do you think they can properly feed/care for the kit? Honestly it’s up to you.
I get my Calf-Manna from Tractor Supply the brand is Manna Pro depending on how big your rabbit is only give her a teaspoon a day (my 2 pound rabbit got 1 teaspoon for reference).
Another thing is mama might start producing milk soon after she has the manna, so that’s another factor to add in.

Make sure you try him on all the nipples. There could still be milk in there. If she had been feeding him fine, it's unlikely she's suddenly dried up. If she's still producing milk and he can continue to nurse, it's best to sort him out feeding that way if at all possible. Hand feeding is risky and only a last resort.

If getting him to nurse off mom again doesn't work and if your friend doesn't have experience successfully hand feeding baby rabbits, I would bring the kit with me and do it myself. But once you start hand feeding and the kit is no longer nursing, there's no putting the kit back with the mom. He'll have to be permanently removed from the mom rabbit. Bringing a kit in the car in it's nestbox, isn't a problem as long as his temperature is regulated(not too cold, not too hot).

Calf manna isn't going to work bringing milk back in for a mother rabbit that's already dried up. it only helps with current milk production.

Thanks everyone for helping, unfortunately he didn't make it. I don't know what happened, he was eating from hand feeding fine just wasn't gaining weight. I arranged for my friends to hand-feed him 2 times a day, I came back today and he seemed a little cold and wasn't interested in eating. I warmed him up but he still didn't want to eat. He died shortly after. I am heartbroken and feel like a total failure.

Latest posts

Back