Newborn not gaining weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaKerr

Reaction score
Afternoon! Sooo, my husband found a kit lying in a dirt pile nearly frozen on Tuesday 3/29/22. We were able to revive it and dropper feed it. I’ve never dealt with wild rabbits before, but it looks so scrawny. Eyes and ears are still closed, and it’s finally growing a little hair. Able to get a couple bits of poop out by stimulation, but not seeing any pee. Currently feeding it 50/50 goat milk and KMR. I threw in a couple drops of heavy cream for the fat, but it doesn’t seem to be making a difference. He’ll take about 1 mL of food per day broken up into 3-4 feedings. Mostly just curls up in a ball and sleeps. I must be doing something wrong… Help please! F05ECFB3-1D6D-4015-91C0-CB4D143B073E.jpeg

How is he doing today? I think the best idea is sending him to a wildlife rescue near you. If there are none near you, keep feeding him. Also keep him as warm as possible. Build a little nest for him; put hay on the bottom, and tear apart cotton balls and put those on top so it is like rabbit fur. He will burrow underneath all the cotton to stay warm.

Unfortuntely, wild babies are nearly impossible to save at home. Even wildlife rehabs often have difficulty. The attached file has good info.

Attachments

• wildbabies.pdf
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
How is he doing today? I think the best idea is sending him to a wildlife rescue near you. If there are none near you, keep feeding him. Also keep him as warm as possible. Build a little nest for him; put hay on the bottom, and tear apart cotton balls and put those on top so it is like rabbit fur. He will burrow underneath all the cotton to stay warm.
He’s actually doing much better, really started chowing down during feedings and finally got a decent pee out. I will reach out to a wildlife rescue this week (if I can find one). He needs all the help he can get. Thank you for the best ideas. He’s loving digging through the cotton. Also, we’ve had him for 5 days and his eyes are still closed. Do runts tend to fall behind the curve? Thanks!

Unfortuntely, wild babies are nearly impossible to save at home. Even wildlife rehabs often have difficulty. The attached file has good info.
Thank you! Very good info. It makes sense that he was a bit dehydrated, he’s doing great now!

He’s actually doing much better, really started chowing down during feedings and finally got a decent pee out. I will reach out to a wildlife rescue this week (if I can find one). He needs all the help he can get. Thank you for the best ideas. He’s loving digging through the cotton. Also, we’ve had him for 5 days and his eyes are still closed. Do runts tend to fall behind the curve? Thanks!
I’m glad he’s doing better! He should be ok if he’s a bit behind, they should open soon.

Latest posts

Back