Newborn Kits.. Need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopMad

Reaction score
My rabbit had 4 kits this morning and all were warm and wiggly. She made a nest and all is ok but I need some help. At least 2 of the kits have little cuts on them (tiny tiny cuts that are already dry). Do I need to clean the cuts? Are they bad?
Another thing is that one of the kits faces looks.. Bruised or something.. It's purple around its nose.
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1417919820.951242.jpg
Is that something to be concerned about? It's acting fine like the others but I want to make sure.

And finally, what do I do on really hot days? How do I keep them cool but warm?

Thanks

with small cuts and scratches- its pretty normal for newborns to have a few scratches I wouldn't put anything on them because their skin is like tissue and the ingredients in antiseptics creams can burn the delicate tissue and make it heal slower.
With the bruising, I haven't seen that before in any of mine but I don't think there is much you can do about that. hopefully it will get better on its own.
With the heat, How hot is it? I've noticed when its hot my baby kits spread out, so they aren't touching and air can circulate around them. You could possible put a fan in the room with them to keep air circulating around them (don't have the fan blowing right on them though). If they are outdoors I would definitely make sure the hutch is fully out of the sun, and make sure no sun is shining on the nest box area.

Other advice I have if its hot, is make sure your doe has lots and lots of water, if she has a bottle maybe give her a bowl of water too. And you could give the doe, not the babies, a frozen water bottle. I think lactating does feel pretty miserable in the heat because they get engorged with so much milk it makes them get overheated easily, so take good care of your doe. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Ok thanks :) I checked the kits this morning and the purple has faded a bit already.
The heat is ranging from about 30-40 degrees Celsius lately. It's also humid and has stormed everyday for the past 8 days or so. It's hard to give shade because my backyard has no trees, shelters or bushes :(
I've been giving mum a frozen water bottle and I think I'll use your idea and give her a bowl and a water bottle.

Latest posts

Back