Newborn Bunny Coat Color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
What color is this baby bunny? It appears to be a chestnut with harlequin markings on the belly. Is there a such thing as a harlequinized chestnut, or what could it be? I have never seen anything like this!

PXL_20201215_055752709.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Background Info:
- Mom is a BEW (presumably harlequin) and Dad is a Orange / Black Harlequin Holland Lop
- Siblings are all harlequin variations (cream & orange)
- Neither parent carries chestnut, pretty much all harlequins in genetics (and a few tri's & torts)

I'm stumped! Help me out!

Thank you!! Neither parents carry otter variations. I can already see some brown ticking coming in...

Is this a well-known color? I must admit, I've never heard of it.

Yes. It happens sometimes when the chestnut carries the harlequin gene (so they are Eej). The fullextension (E) gene is only incomplete dominant over the harlequin, so sometimes (but not always), harlequin markings will show through. It is a DQ from shows.

Interesting...

I've ruled out the possibility of black otter, based on genetics and ticking :)

My question is - where did the chestnut gene come from in the first place?? I thought I understood genetics, then this baby came along...

What do you think her coloring could be then? I know there are a lot of possibilities considering there are quite a few blue-eyed whites in her pedigree, but I would like to narrow it down a bit.

Her Parents: BEW x BEW
Grandparents: Orange Black Tri VM x BEW (Dad's side) / BEW x Orange Black Harlequin VC (Mom's side)
Great Grandparents: Black Cream Harlequin x Broken Chocolate Chinchilla / BEW x Opal VM / BEW x Black VC / Golden Harlequin VC x Red

Most likely, I'd say she's probably a chestnut under the BEW as well (but likely carries harlequin). If she's thrown torts or oranges, she'd have to carry non-extension, instead of harlequin

Most likely, I'd say she's probably a chestnut under the BEW as well (but likely carries harlequin). If she's thrown torts or oranges, she'd have to carry non-extension, instead of harlequin
Interesting! This is actually her first litter, so I am very thankful it went smoothly for her. What other possibilities could her coloring be? I will be honest, I never thought she would be a chestnut based on her genetics...

Latest posts

Back