newborn bunnies, need help asap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudmyna

Reaction score
I received 2 bunnies in December and the female bunny had babies a few days ago. I’m not sure exactly when, but it was more than 4 days ago. She had 7 babies, and so far, 3 of them died. I’ve never had to take care of newborn bunnies until now, and I’ve done a lot of research, but I don’t know what to do about one baby bunny I have. This baby bunny is significantly smaller than the other 3 bunnies. I don’t think it’s getting fed, and I tried to feed it KMR a few hours ago and it ate some. It keeps getting separated from its siblings, and maybe that’s why it isn’t getting fed? I tried to feed it some more KMR 30 minutes ago, but it wouldn’t eat it. I really don’t want this one to die and I’ve tried everything I know. I put a heat lamp in the corner of their cage since my room is a bit cold. It’s not too close to them, and they also don’t have a great nest/bed. I put them on a training pad for dogs with bedding and a towel. What can I do?

I also tried to lay the mother on her back and let the baby eat, but it still wouldn’t eat. Maybe I wasn’t doing it right. Should I leave it alone and let the mother take over, or should I do something else?

this is what they look like. the little one is still moving! please help

Attachments

• 302B2D98-9F3D-49C0-B52E-85D95E352344.jpeg
    302B2D98-9F3D-49C0-B52E-85D95E352344.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 6D3396F2-9BBA-4300-AB6C-C29F3A092A10.jpeg
    6D3396F2-9BBA-4300-AB6C-C29F3A092A10.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
It seems it likely has a genetic defect that is causing a failure to thrive. Which means it's not likely to survive. I can't tell from the photos, but if there are any dwarf genetics from the mom and dad, it could possibly be a peanut, and they are unable to survive, usually not any longer than a week.

Make sure it's carefully warmed up and try again to see if it will nurse off mom. A hypothermic rabbit won't be inclined to eat . If it won't nurse off mom, you can attempt hand feeding to see if it will eat that way, but just know that hand feeding has a high risk of causing aspiration pneumonia. But if there's a slim chance of the baby even surviving, it seems like it would be worth the risk.

https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Latest posts

Back