newborn baby bleeding? stuck! help pls!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
one of my newborn babies (about 17 hours old) has a sticky dark colored thing (blood?) on his bottom causing him to become stuck! he got fur and hay attached to him and now he is stuck to the blanket that i put into the nestbox! he is also a bit cold and i need to warm him up. how can i detach him from the blanket and clean him up?!?! I am quite nervous about this little guy. please help!!!!!!! thank you!

Last edited:
another detail: his skin has become kinda scaly. Why is this?

Attachments

• IMG_5834.jpg
    IMG_5834.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 19
It looks like she didn't clean him maybe she is stressed. Not sure what kind of blanket you use I think it would be best to have a hay nest with fur as I described and gave you video and pics last time. You can carefully clean his bottom with a slightly warm damp cotton pad. Make sure she has everything she needs, plenty of water and hay and unlimited food and there's no bright light / noises around you can cover her cage or part of it over the nest with a blanket so she could feel safe, don't stress her let her rest just provide food/water and check carefully if babies fine twice a day.

If she is stressed she can forget to clean and stimulate her babies, you can wipe their bottoms with a warm damp cotton pad to stimulate them so they will start peeing, if you see their genitalia looks like clogged with poo you can gently remove that also with damp cotton pad. It is important to make her comfortable and give her time and safe darkened place to relax.

I saw you asked about rolled oats, you don't need to cook them just raw

Last edited:
Thank you for responding @zuppa! i made the hay nest with fur. the blanket was on the bottom of all that. the problem is that she dumped it all out (including the babies!) and most of the fur is now gone or unusable. do you think its safer to keep the babies out and just leave them in for feedings? i know thats not ideal but i dont want her to hurt the kits.
im going to try my my best to keep her stress free.
i cleaned his bottom and a brown liquid is coming out of his genitalia! is there something seriously wrong with him?
ok thanks. i will give the older babies a bit of oats. should i give some to the mom too?

Use warm water to soak it loose and clean him up. Kits can get dry skin but ours usually got it with their first coat of fur.

@majorv is there any way to prevent dry skin? or any way to help it get better?

Thank you for responding @zuppa! i made the hay nest with fur. the blanket was on the bottom of all that. the problem is that she dumped it all out (including the babies!) and most of the fur is now gone or unusable. do you think its safer to keep the babies out and just leave them in for feedings? i know thats not ideal but i dont want her to hurt the kits.
im going to try my my best to keep her stress free.
i cleaned his bottom and a brown liquid is coming out of his genitalia! is there something seriously wrong with him?
ok thanks. i will give the older babies a bit of oats. should i give some to the mom too?
Can you take a pic of your nest and where it is and her cage etc. There's no need in a blanket underneath maybe she was digging the box wanted to see what'sin there and so destroyed the whole nest. You put some absorbing material like wood pellets, shavings, straw, shredded paper (without ink) ir something, you expect babies will be moving all the time and moving stuff there so it must be all safe for them, I know some people use blankets or old sweater but I wouldn't, at least if I have nothing else I would shred that blanket into small stripes/squares so they could move it all around themselves and burrow underneath etc.

Yes you can remove nest box from her cage and put it back twice a day for feeding, or I would leave nest box in there and would just let her out for the day, but would let her in for feeding. Because it would be more natural to her, she knows place where the nest is and will search for the babies. If you remove the nest she can think that babies are gone and it will stress her more.

Last edited:
@majorv is there any way to prevent dry skin? or any way to help it get better?
It doesn't look bad you better don't touch it, it's not irritated or something. It should fix in a few days. If you could post a pic what is that blood/brown liquid on his bottom is it keep coming or was just something stuck

at first, i thought the brown stuff was just stuck but after i removed it, little droplets kept on coming... his legs also got stuck to it and now they look a bit strange...

i will post pics of everything as soon as i can.

A little trace amount of blood is okay, but from what you describe, I suspect the baby might have an injury. Please carefully inspect the newborn for cuts and scrapes. Mother rabbits sometimes accidentally injure babies, especially when two litters are present. You can gently dab at the blood with a warm, damp soft cloth, but don't get the baby cold. Warming up the cold baby is priority number one.
Mom is dumping the nest because she is hormonal or something has upset her. Just put it back. I would keep the babies away from her for an hour or two until she settles down and then put them back in the nest box.

@Julie&Bunnies it doesnt look like an injury to me. it is constantly coming from his genitals in little droplets. i have cleaned it off but it has returned. it also glues his legs together :eek:. its a big job to get off

The other bunnies also werent so clean. They had clumps stuck to their tails. I removed them with a warm wet q-tip and it came off as a greenish color with black spots. on the other hand, when i cleaned the third little guy, it was a dark brown.

Attachments

• IMG_5875.jpg
    IMG_5875.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
The other bunnies also werent so clean. They had clumps stuck to their tails. I removed them with a warm wet q-tip and it came off as a greenish color with black spots. on the other hand, when i cleaned the third little guy, it was a dark brown.
This doesn't sound good tbh but it is still hard to judge from you photo, this little kit looks fed and happy, it could be something wrong with his genitalia or something else. I would keep cleaning him I would make a warm compress once or twice a day with a cotton pad soaked with herbal tea, I would use chamomile or sage or just black/green tea (no sugar) for a couple minutes until it's nice and warm, then dry with a paper towel so his belly is not wet. It could be something more serious as well but I couldn't say hopefully it will get better soon as you keep it clean. And generally keep their area clean as well

Latest posts

Back