newbies with a question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnytopia

Reaction score
Hi, we are new to this forum, we have 21 rabbitsof various breeds we have 4 french lops, 2 mini lops, 8 mixed mediumbreed, 5 lion heads and 2 silver foxes! we have bred most of thebunnies with much success until we put or mini lops together, Gizmo hada ?successfull? pregnancy and nested well, she had one baby that wasmuch larger than any other baby bun we have seen, sadly baby didnt makeit, she had baby out of nest. we are stumped as to why this happened weunderstand that some babies die at birth but they areusuallyaccompanied by brothers and sisters and are usuallythe 'runt' of the litter as baby was an only child this was not thecase. we was wandering if anybody could shed light as to why this hashappened, if we have missed any information that you would like to knowjust ask us please.

Rest In Peace baby bun

Sam, Leon and Nikki

our familycat once gave birth to astill born kitty, just one. it was quite large. i don't know why but mymum though maybe she carried it for to long.

sorry you lost the baby bun,

Nicole

Sounds like the over sizedbaby was a Fetal Giant , that sometimes happenswith Mini's and Dwarf rabbits ,or you can also getPeanuts or Max Factors , Itscause by the lethel Dwarfinggene . If this was a new Pairing I wouldnt rebreedthis particular pair, as thiscan and will happen again . Both Parents haveto carry the Lethel gene inorder for the problems to show up. Its very sad when you loseeven one baby , more is anunnecessary heartbreak .

Is it possible to get a Different Buck and try her again ?

Its hard to say why it died, if its a minlop itshouldnt have the dwarf gene.it may have been large because it was theonly bunny.it also may not have survived because with only one bunny itmight not have been warm enough.letting the buck breed several times issupposed to increase litter size.bluebird

I agree with Bluebird...Also, age plays apart. How old is the doe? I had a dutch do thishowever the one "large" baby did survive...it was the only oneborn. The mother was 7 years old.

Sharon

There are many factors that influence the sizeof the kit including genetic mutations, hormone influxes, viralinfections, litter sizeand nutrition.

We notice more incidence of dystocia (birthing difficulties) and fetal giants during the late fall/winter months.

Pam

I have a small mini-rex doe that was prone to fetal giants. It didn't matter

which buck she was bred too. I solved the problem by carefully monitoring

herpellet intake, actually cutting her pellets back some and giving her

free choice hay for her entire pregnancy. She has never lost weight

doing this and has not had another fetal giant. She is due today to

have another litter.

It think alot of people believe that a doe needs more food during her

pregnancy but it is not true. I actually don't increase feed until a couple

of days after she kindles.

Roger L

Roger L~ Isn't the reason for increasing thepellet amount too ensure the kits get the proper nourishment while theygrow? What is your reason for increasing the pellets after kindling andnot before?

Sam, Leon, and Nikki~ I'm am terribly sorry you lost the baby. Itsalways sad when that happens. Do you plan on breeding her again,butto a different buck?

Lissa

Thank you all for all the information you havegiven us, i think we are going to be taking all of your fantasicinformation on board and doing a bit of everything, getting a new buckfor gizmo andkeeping more of a watch on her although we wontbe breeding her again for a while. our silver foxes are due to havebabies soon so heres hoping our little cinders has more luck!

we joined the forum as sam leon and nikki, i am Sam, Leon is my hubbyand Nikki is my sister who has now joined as bunnyfarm! thank you allfor a warm welcome, we had tried to get info off another website beforewe found ths one and quite frankly the people on that site were awfulto us for breeding our buns. we dont and never will over breed our bunsand they only ever go to loving homes!

Latest posts

Back