Newbie with some general questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengal77

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to rabbits as pets and I'm doing some research before I decide whether or not to get one (if I do it will be a rescue from the local shelter and will be spayed/neutered)t. I've read up on general rabbit care on a bunch of websites and have looked over some of the threads on this forum. So here goes.

I am 23 but I live with my family while I attend school. My mother has agreed to getting a rabbit but we're having a bit of a fight over cage placement. She's a complete OCD neat freak and is very sensitive to smells. Which is rather odd because we have two dogs and two cats and our house is never completely tidy or smell-free. Our house has a very open floor plan and only one spare bedroom has enough room for a large cage, and that's only if we stick it in the empty closet. I would like to tuck the cage at the back of the living room (the kitchen overlooks the living room) but she's horrified about having "bunny smells" near the kitchen. I have no problem cleaning the cage daily, especially since rabbits can be litter box trained. She's still adamant that it will smell. So, my questions are:

How easy is it to clean a cube and coroplast cage?

People say that rabbits are fairly easily litter box trained, is this generally true?

I know that rabbits have scent glands, do they give off a strong odor like ferrets do despite being groomed regularly? (IMO ferrets smell like corn chips no matter how clean and tidy you keep them or their cage)

I haven't suggested it to her yet but one other option is to keep the rabbit on our pool patio. It's partially roofed and the whole area is covered with a black screen that keeps the worst of the sun out and the area relatively cool even in the dead of summer. (We live in FL)

What temperature range can rabbits be comfortably kept in?

I also had some questions about personality and temperament. I've read some articles that state that pet rabbits are social creatures who need human interaction/companionship. I am looking for a pet that will be able to show some level of affection once the initial warm-up/bonding phase has passed.

In your opinion, do you think that bunnies show love/affection?

In general, do you think that they enjoy human companionship and desire to be played with, cuddled with, or at least sat next to?

I know that bunnies aren't like cats or dogs, and that within the group personalities and likes/dislikes vary, but are rabbits different from other small mammal pets in that they really do have a capacity to love, or at least like, their owner?

There are more experience people on this site than me, but I LOVE rabbit talk. So here I go!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I especially recommend you go through the libraries on this site. there is a wonderful cache of knowledge there.

Rabbits are EXTREMELY easy to litter train as it is natural for them to want to use the bathroom in the same place. Spaying and neutering will also help as it will decrease their want to mark their territory.

My bun is free range in my bedroom. However I sweep and vacuum daily, it only takes me about 5 minutes to clean his area. I would not recommend the closet at all since you need to have fresh air exchange and a closet will not only make the smell worse but could potently lead to sickness due to lack of ventilation.

I don't know much about scent glands so I can't comment on that.

Will your rabbit love you? Dear lord yes, it will love you. Some rabbits can bond with you in days. Others literally take months. Different buns show love in different ways: nudging, cuddling, grooming, tooth grinding and tooth purrs, binkies, head tosses, head shakes, and running circles. You will have to get to know your bun before you know how he tells you he loves you.

Rabbits are social creatures and they both need and want you're attention. Shino will stand on my feet if I get up to leave and he's not done with me yet. He will run towards my bed and wait anxiously for head rubs in the morning when I first wake up. He runs in circles at play time. He will even turn his back to me if he is angry with me. Its almost like having a little dog... but quirkier.

I hope this helps!

The cube cages (mostly refered to as NIC cages here) are fairly easy to clean, but it can depend on your design for it. You can't wash it out like if you had a solid plastic bottom. I find that wiping it down with a vinegar/water mix works. I also have a dust pan and brush to sweep up hay and stray poops. It is easier to clean if the edges for the base and not cut all the way though. If you only cut on the outside (like scoring it), it can be solid on the inside except for the corners. You can also get stick on tiles that might make it easier to clean.

Most rabbits can be litter trained. If you do get one from the shelter, you can ask if it is trained. Some do take longer to get it, but most can get it eventually. You will probably have a few days to figure out where the rabbit wants to go in the cage, even if it is litter trained at the shelter.

I don't find that the actual rabbit has a strong odor. You don't have to clean the scent glands on a regular basis, but you should check them and clean as needed. Cleaning the litter boxes, cage and walls (some do spray) will keep the odor down.

I don't really know much about keeping rabbit outside, even in an enclosed patio. If the temperature is good, is protected from the weather (like rain), and predators can't get in, then it should be OK.

Rabbits do better in the cold than the heat. I don't know that range though.

Rabbits do show affection, but not all do it in the same way. Some will run up to you and demand to be pet, they might just sit there and want pets for hours. Others will tolerate some petting, and don't really like too much contact, but they can be affectionate in their own way. The more you work with a rabbit, the more they should tolerate it. Most rabbits don't like to be cuddled or held for too long, they would prefer to interact on the floor or in a way that they are not restrained.

Not all rabbits will want to sit and be pet or cuddled. Many would like to run around more that sit on the couch. It doesn't mean that they aren't affectionate, just that they don't want to sit around. It does vary from rabbit to rabbit. I would not expect a rabbit to be content to sit on the couch. They do like to be played with and enjoy interaction, but mostly on their terms.

Rabbits are social animals and do bond with people, other rabbits and sometime cats or dogs. For the most part, they do like people (and what we can do for them) and show affection. The do know who they like and will respond to that person more than just anyone. My rabbits will take treats from me and respond to me, but they don't necessarily do it for other people.

How easy is it to clean a cube and coroplast cage?

One they are litter train, it's very easy to clean their cage, probably 5-10 minutes.

People say that rabbits are fairly easily litter box trained, is this generally true?

Yes, all my 4 buns were litter training within 1 week. You just have to keep after them. When Baci first came home, we would monitor where he would poop. Then we'd place the litterbox in that spot so he knew. Also everytime he'd drop one in the cage, immediately we'll place him and the poop in his litterbox.

I know that rabbits have scent glands, do they give off a strong odor like ferrets do despite being groomed regularly? (IMO ferrets smell like corn chips no matter how clean and tidy you keep them or their cage)

If you clean the litterbox often, their shouldn't be any smell/odor. We cleanall the litterbox every 2 days.Wehave 5litterbox in the house, yet they never get so bad that it would smell. I'm allergic to dogs and cats but never had a problem with any of my buns.

What temperature range can rabbits be comfortably kept in?

We keep our buns indoor at all times. Their are quite a few who has outdoor rabbits here on the forum. I would think as long as you keep them in the enclosed sun room, you should be fine.

I also had some questions about personality and temperament. I've read some articles that state that pet rabbits are social creatures who need human interaction/companionship. I am looking for a pet that will be able to show some level of affection once the initial warm-up/bonding phase has passed.

I think every buns have different personality. Baci loves attention and is so loving. Cappucino and Shades are independent. They only come to us for food and treats.We've had them for a year now and they are still skittish with us. However Shades is the only one who gives bunny kisses.
In your opinion, do you think that bunnies show love/affection?

Definitely and that's when we become bunny slaves b/c we'll do anything for them.

In general, do you think that they enjoy human companionship and desire to be played with, cuddled with, or at least sat next to?

Like I said, all rabbits have different personality. It will be hard to tell until you bring them home. Baci will not sit still with me only with hubby. However when he was sick and I slept out on the couch, he jumped up and slept next to me all night.

I know that bunnies aren't like cats or dogs, and that within the group personalities and likes/dislikes vary, but are rabbits different from other small mammal pets in that they really do have a capacity to love, or at least like, their owner?

I really b/l they do have the capacity to love, they are actually very smart animals. If you have the time, patience, and finance then go for it. I only mention the $ part b/c they can become costly if visits to the vets are necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you decide to go ahead and be a bunny slave, you've come to the perfect forum for Q & A.

"My bun is free range in my bedroom. However I sweep and vacuum daily, it only takes me about 5 minutes to clean his area. I would not recommend the closet at all since you need to have fresh air exchange and a closet will not only make the smell worse but could potently lead to sickness due to lack of ventilation."

That's exactly why I was hesitant about putting the cage in the closet. Our closets are very large and they have the two doors that fold open. I could easily fit a 3 cube wide cage inside the doors. The cage itself would have only gone halfway into the closet so I don't think that ventilation would have been greatly decreased. I agree though that it is probably best not to have the cage back in the spare bedroom.

"We keep our buns indoor at all times. Their are quite a few who has outdoor rabbits here on the forum. I would think as long as you keep them in the enclosed sun room, you should be fine."

While the pool deck is completely enclosed with a black mesh pool cage(and shaded) it is not climate controlled. Florida summers can get quite humid as well as hot which is why I'm hesitant to even consider this as an option. I googled rabbit temperature ranges and read that rabbits do not do well in humid heat. So I'm just going to cross that off my list, at least for summer. It is possible though to have the cage inside during the hottest/most humid parts of summer and put it outside in the shaded part of the porch for the rest of the year since our winters are fairly mild.

I'm very glad to hear that bunnies are generally loving pets. I know that there will be variations between bunnies just as there are variations within cats and dogs. For example, we have two cats, Hobbes and Gigi. Gigi is a lovebug. She would sit on my lap 24/7 a day if I let her. Hobbes, on the other hand, only needs a 30 minute cuddle session about once a week. But he has other ways of showing affection. It really is amazing how varied animals are in personality and temperament.

On the topic of smell we got a boy and girl bun both neutered asap and i think that helps with both the litter training and smell,boys can spray and if neutered late may already be in the habit of spraying,my buns don`t smell and i`ve got them used to the hoover ,that helps alot so i can get the hose lean over the xpen and hoover up odd poops and hay!

As long as your bun gets lots of attention they`ll be fine and friendly but having said that with Belle you can pick up and cradle like a baby ,George will not allow you to pick him up without a huge struggle and only very experienced bun people have managed to hold him longer than the 2/3 seconds i`ve managed LOL This i`m gona work on as i`m concerned re health checking him,e`s still adorable but all petting done with his 4 feet on the floor he`ll run over to us and stand up at the cage side for you to pet him!!

Well done for doing all the research good to be well prepared!!

Good for you going to a rescue,i did and they`ll help you find your perfect bun they get to know them better than only one,and can tell you that buns personality.:biggrin2:

I have one rabbit who is indoors and he is completely litter trained. I only clean his litter box twice a week, but I can't smell a thing until I'm actually cleaning it. My bun litter trained himself from the first day we got him (at 8 weeks old). He just realized exactly what the litter box was for and has been perfect ever since (even when we relocate him and the box, he always figures it out). Not everybody has as easy a time, but I know it can be done!

The bunny himself doesn't smell like anything - I often stick my nose in his fur and breathe in because he just smells so nice and clean! Haha.

The hay does smell - it's not a bad smell, but it does have a grassy scent that your mom may or may not mind.

I would agree that he should not be kept outside in the Florida summer. In general, buns should be kept below 80 degrees or they start to be stressed. They can easily be comfortable down to 50 degrees though - much more cold tolerant than heat tolerant.

I think most bunnies do show affection - it just takes them a much longer time than it would a cat or a dog. I had my bunny for at least 6 months (he went through a neuter in this period) before he liked to be petted. Now, he'll let me lay on the floor with him and snuggle, kiss, and pet him forever. You need to be very patient and try not to push them too much, but the majority will end up being somewhat affectionate. He also loves to be with his people. Sometimes he ignores us and acts like he doesn't, but the nights when I don't get home until late, he comes out in the living room and binkies like a crazy man (even though he's free range) so I think he loves us on some level ;-) He was also left with friends for a week who couldn't give him much attention and he was far more destructive than usual - another sign that he really does need that human interaction to be happy. I have had gerbils for almost 15 years and I find bunnies to be totally different in that they do have a capacity to love and be affectionate (I only ever had two gerbils out of 12 who were affectionate in any way).

You've received a ton of good advice already, so I don't need to repeat anything. One thing I will stress, is to not keep your rabbit on the pool deck. In Florida, a temperature controlled environment is essential in the summer. Also, I have 4 rabbits in my house and there is absolutely no smell.

When you are ready to adopt, please check out gainesvillerabbitrescue.org . I run the Daytona Beach chapter and we have many wonderful rabbits to love. All of our rabbits are spayed/neutered and litterbox trained. Our rabbits are all in one-on-one foster homes and we know their personalities and can recommend the right rabbit for you. We have a litter of 4 month old babies coming up for adoption. They will be altered this month and then will be ready to find a home. This is one of the babies in this thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53674&forum_id=1

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Also, concerning odor....I use horse bedding pellets for litter. I've found these to be best with odor absorption. They are available at any farm supply store and are the most cost effective bedding you can find. They have a pleasant "outdoorsy" smell.

Slavetoabunny - Does the Daytona branch have any pictures of their bunnies besides the one you posted above? I remember looking at gainesvillerabbitrescue but they are a bit too much of a drive for me. I live in the space coast area a little ways SW of Orlando. Daytona is a little over an hours drive and is manageable. Does the Daytona branch have bunnies on petfinder.com, or are they all mixed in together and listed under Gainesville?

We have several bunnies here in the Daytona area that I think would be good for you. Besides Java, none of the babies are listed on our website yet. Java's foster mom also has one her brothers, Chester. I haven't met him, but I'm told he is every bit as sweet and cuddly as Java. Other local bunnies that come to mind are Flash and Triscuit. They can both be seen on our websie. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Oh my goodness, they are all adorable. I am particularly fond of Java, but the others are also very cute. I don't have a breed/color preference but I am looking for a small-medium sized rabbit (up to 6 or 7 pounds) with short-medium hair since this will be my first rabbit. Are all three being fostered by the same person? How would I go about setting up a meeting?

All of the buns are very small. Except for Java, they are all adults and full grown. Around 4 pounds. Java is 4 months old and very small. I don't think she will get much bigger.

Java and her brother, Chester, are being fostered by the same mom. I am fostering Flash and fostered Triscuit for a few weeks before he moved to a new foster home.

If you are interested in a date, just let me know so I can coordinate all the buns. Probably a Sunday afternoon would work best.

but are rabbits different from other small mammal pets in that they really do have a capacity to love, or at least like, their owner?

I highly disagree with that statement, all my small mammals love and cuddle and beg for my attention...
So yes, LIKE hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, ferrets, gerbils ect rabbits can love.

jessicalovesjesse wrote:
but are rabbits different from other small mammal pets in that they really do have a capacity to love, or at least like, their owner?

I highly disagree with that statement, all my small mammals love and cuddle and beg for my attention...
So yes, LIKE hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, ferrets, gerbils ect rabbits can love.
I disagree. I've owned gerbils for more than 15 years and only 2 were really affectionate. The others were friendly, certainly, and liked to see me every day, but they definitely weren't affectionate. It's not that they didn't love me, but they were certainly not as affectionate as a rabbit and not as tolerant of petting. None of my gerbils ever sat still to be petted like most rabbits will. Other small mammals may be different, but this has been my experience with gerbils.

I do disagree. I wasn't trying to say that small mammals can't be great pets. I had a bunch of hamsters and gerbils when I was a kid. They're great and while they might enjoy human companionship they don't really show love or affection like cats and dogs do. But of course there are always exceptions. I've never owned one (hamster, gerbil, etc...) that was loving, though. Happy and friendly, yes. Loving, not that I could tell.

elrohwen wrote:
jessicalovesjesse wrote:

I disagree. I've owned gerbils for more than 15 years and only 2 were really affectionate. The others were friendly, certainly, and liked to see me every day, but they definitely weren't affectionate. It's not that they didn't love me, but they were certainly not as affectionate as a rabbit and not as tolerant of petting. None of my gerbils ever sat still to be petted like most rabbits will. Other small mammals may be different, but this has been my experience with gerbils.

Must just be your luck my hamster sleeps in my hand.
And my other one licks my palm.
And I've had rats that cuddle and do tricks.
[=

i had a rat who i could call and shed climb up my leg to on my shoulder and kiss my cheek...rats are amazing creatures. Guinea pigs have a lot of personality too just harder to see it unless you spend some time with them.

i think triscut and Java would make a beautiful bonded pair!

Latest posts

Back