New Zealand or Checkered Giant? (Or mutt?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingmilo

Reaction score
zTbsDfa42Ev4tnBUA
I got my rabbit, Sapphire, from the shelter about a month ago and they didn't list her breed or weight, and I don't own a working scale. She seems to have a lot of the traits for a checkered giant like the markings around the nose and eyes, but her back is mostly a patch of gray so I can't say she has a racing stripe,. She is pretty large, especially when she stretches out, which makes me think she's a larger breed like a Checkered or New Zealand. Can anyone tell?
HfCRkgNnDg8kaCeg7
4ADvSsmNWqAvgLmj8

Also here's how large she is compared to me

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_181555280.jpg
    IMG_20181006_181555280.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20181006_181042264.jpg
    IMG_20181006_181042264.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20181006_181050444.jpg
    IMG_20181006_181050444.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello,

She is definitely not a full NZ giant, because they only come in white, black and red as far as I know. Plus her face doe not look like much like one, and she looks a bit smaller as well. She is such a cutie with big eyes and long lashes, though. Probably half, or maybe another breed.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on breeds, but she doesn't look that large to me. Unless the photos are deceiving, she appears to be of average size. Markings aren't particular to any breed.

This was a part rex rabbit I had. Similar markings as yours.

upload_2018-10-25_15-23-25.png

And here was another rabbit I had (whose name also happened to be Sapphire!) - similar markings again but with lop ears.

upload_2018-10-25_15-24-31.png

Ok thanks, it would not be super surprising if she was a cross or mutt so to speak seeing as I don't know anything about her past :)

Mine are a mix of giant checkered, new zealands, and whatever thrives on farms around here - typical meat mutts. They make great pets - mine are more relaxed and less destructive than my smaller doe Fury (about 7 lbs). Herr Hase (ca. 11 lbs) is my free range house bunny, and recently got Dotty, young neutered girl, one of his daughters , as companion. Works great, no chewing, both using the litter box...

How much colour/white rabbits with the broken gene have is more or less random when not bred for a specific pattern, I get everything from white to fully coloured in one litter.
This gene can cause trouble if a rabbit has two sets of it, making it a charlie (less than 10% markings), but I haven't seen any effect of that in my mutts.

Attachments

• Dotty und Herr Hase2.jpg
    Dotty und Herr Hase2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 13
Mine are a mix of giant checkered, new zealands, and whatever thrives on farms around here - typical meat mutts. They make great pets - mine are more relaxed and less destructive than my smaller doe Fury (about 7 lbs). Herr Hase (ca. 11 lbs) is my free range house bunny, and recently got Dotty, young neutered girl, one of his daughters , as companion. Works great, no chewing, both using the litter box...

How much colour/white rabbits with the broken gene have is more or less random when not bred for a specific pattern, I get everything from white to fully coloured in one litter.
This gene can cause trouble if a rabbit has two sets of it, making it a charlie (less than 10% markings), but I haven't seen any effect of that in my mutts.
Aaw they look very pretty and friendly! The one on the left does look a lot like Sapphire

Why do the photos in the OP have red X's on them?! I can't see them! I want to see the bunny! lol

Latest posts

Back