NEW YEAR DANGER!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czarina

Reaction score
pleaseeee help me, new year's in a few days and I can't let my rabbits suffer stress from the sound of loud fireworks!Please answer immediately so that I can act early and prevent them from stressing over loud sounds!

You can start to try and desensitize them by starting to leave on music now, but not really loud, just normal levels. Get them used to the noise of the music, then when the fireworks are going on, have the music on to help drowned out the sound of the sudden bang of the fireworks. It would have been better if you had several weeks to get them used to the sound of having music on though, but maybe a week will be long enough.

Havn't seen any animal that cares less about fireworks (chopping wood, using the chainsaw, dropping a pan right next to them...) than my rabbits, on new years eve they are just happy that someone is up at midnight to give them a treat.

Relax, they do pick up emotions - if you act nervous and hover over them that doesn't help. Desensitizing them is a good idea, you'll see how they actually react to noise.

My bunny startles at the slightest normal sound - like the tiniest rustling of fabric - but is completely indifferent to sound effects like explosions on TV and didn't even flinch at our local fireworks. Go figure!

I agree that having a whole bunch of ambient noise going could really help. And your bunny's reaction may surprise you.

They seem to have evolved to react to different kinds of threats in their environment than we have. Let us know how it goes!

Play fireworks sounds from YouTube at a lower volume so the bunny get used to the pops, sizzling, and sparking sounds. Then gradually increase the volume up to a normal range of sound as he gets used to it. Doing that worked perfectly for my rabbit. He didn’t even flinch during the 4th of July when the fireworks the firefighters lit off were way louder, bursting in a park near my house.

For him, he got used to it within ten minutes the first day I tried. He was startled at first but adapted once he realized they were just sounds, nothing chasing him or anything. And I tried it a few more times over the next few days till he didn’t even react at hearing it. I did the same thing with thunder sounds in case there was a thunder storm.

We get pretty bad thunderstorms here, where I am, especially that quad state tornado near the beginning of December. My husband always plays video games and YouTube videos throughout the day, and I work from home so there is constant noise where my bunnies are. I, actually, have to raise my voice for my callers to hear me (they're old adults on government insurance), so the loud noise doesn't bother my rabbits as much. So, getting them used to loud noises is definitely the best way to go.

Latest posts

Back