New-Update on Jack (RIP sweet Jack)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheryl

Reaction score
I thought i would start a new post for this,

I'll back track to the start quickly,so things will make sense

Ok i had been noticing Jack was hopping kinda sluggish and i could hear him dragging his nails on the ground....I had taken him to see Jonathon to see what was wrong...well as Jonathon was feeling down his spine he got to the lower part near the tail and Jack flinched....not good!....he also checked his reflexes in his back leg's.and instead of Jack's leg making a quick movement it kinda went funny instead:(

Jonathon said that it seem's he may have a spinal problem but he didn't want to do an xray cause Jack was being a bugga and he didn't want to stress Jack out even more...so he just gave me some metacam for Jack to take for a week.

Well i had dropped Jack to the vet this morning before i went to work....i just hate leaving my bunnies at the vet...i worry bout them.

Well we are home now...i had picked him up at 3:20 this afternoon....Jack didn't have to be sedated for the xray,Jonathon said he was a very good boy and kept still long enough.

But the news is not good at all.....Ohh my poorboy :tears2:

It's the disk's in his back...i'll get the report Jonathon had written out in a minute and i'll post what he wrote.

I was so glad as well Gordon that he didn't have to be sedated....i seriously thought he would have to be sedated cause he's such a monster when he's being held lol

Anyway Jonathon was showing me the xray,and he was pointing to the good disks and the bad...i picked out the bad one cause it was the most different one..it was all white and it didn't have a tiny gap inbetween the disk where as the others did...i cannot remember now but i think he also said that another disk has like a little lump or something under it.

This is what he wrote out for me....it may be easier to understand

Jack M......has a spinal degeration causing cord compression between lumbers 2&3 and less severe between 3&4 and 4&5.

There is nothing that can be done...and it's only going to get worse.

Jack is on metacam two times a day now

cheryl wrote:

Jack M......has a spinal degeration causing cord compression between lumbers 2&3 and less severe between 3&4 and 4&5.

What caused this condition?

I thought i would just post this....just because i had nothing better to dolol

img005.jpg

If your wondering why there is crumpled paper up top it's just to hide my stupid last name lol

I'll post the letter that Jonathon wrote out as well

Gordon wrote:
cheryl wrote:

What caused this condition?
I don't know..Jonathon said it's just one of those thing's that happen's....I don't like those kind's of answer's.....so i'm hoping someone just may read this and might know something

Gordon wrote:
Looking at the price on there...

This is exactly why I have a savings account for Peter and Bugs.
Exactly me too!...I just have to say though that the metacam wasn't put on the billand that was a 10ml bottle which cost me $40 :shock:....but that will come in handy anyway..and also the consultation fee is usually $56...but cause he was seen before for the same problem it was much cheaper

Gordon wrote:
Is Metacam like an anti-inflammatory drug? Is Jack going to fuss with you about taking it?
Yeah it is...that's why he has to have it two time's a day now...before he only had it once a day for seven day's.....As long as i don't pick Jack up to give him his med's he is fine...he took his metacam perfectly before...i just go up to him and he just lick's the syringe....thank goodness lol

cheryl wrote:
Gordon wrote:
Is Metacam like an anti-inflammatory drug? Is Jack going to fuss with you about taking it?
Yeah it is...that's why he has to have it two time's a day now...before he only had it once a day for seven day's.....As long as i don't pick Jack up to give him his med's he is fine...he took his metacam perfectly before...i just go up to him and he just lick's the syringe....thank goodness lol

Jack sounds like a little control freak, like my Peter Rabbit. Bugs I can pickup, but Peter must have all four feet on the floor!

Tell little Jack to be good! :brownbunny

Gordon wrote:
cheryl wrote:
Gordon wrote:

Jack sounds like a little control freak, like my Peter Rabbit. Bugs I can pickup, but Peter must have all four feet on the floor!

Tell little Jack to be good! :brownbunny
Yes for sure that is exactly what he is lol... with Jack i have to do things on his term's lol....no wonder people think i'm weird :p....i'm ruled by bunnies lol

I'm so sorry for you and for Jack... what a painful thing to have. I hope the Metacam is able to give him some relief. (((HUGS))) to both of you!

Thanks guys,

Jack is five years old,he's still a young boy...he still loves going outside and hops around.. sometimes he'll get this burst of energy and run for a bit,not as long as he used to...he's just slowing down a bit more...he still hangs around me when i'm in the kitchen,he wait's for something special ;)...and he won't leave until i give him something.

I'm still very curious as to why this is happening....I hate not having answers

Sorry to hear about this. I read somewhere rabbits around this age will sometimes start having spinal issues. It most occurs in females. I guess it is just the nature of the beast so to speak.

Try putting his metacam in a piece of bananna.

pla725 wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. I read somewhere rabbits around this age will sometimes start having spinal issues. It most occurs in females. I guess it is just the nature of the beast so to speak.

Try putting his metacam in a piece of bananna.

Thanks Paula,

I guess it is just the nature of the beast!....but you know when thing's happen like this and you just want answer's?....it drives me crazy not having any answer's....but i know that sometimes we just cannot have the answer's,i just have to try andaccept it

Jonathon said it's just like us human's when we get a bad back (which i can relate too)or something happen's to the disc's in our back....sometimes thing's just happen.....but still....

Ok i have been trying to find more info on this problem that Jack has....i know i'm not going to but i'm just trying to find some answers as to why this is happening.

I found an article but it was on rats,and it seems to affect male rats more...it mentioned the vitamin B12,i'm wondering if that would be ok for Jack?...i don't know though

Some of the articles that i looked at..i didn't even understand

I wish i had more answers,with his xrays is just shows his discs are starting to deteriorate for no apparant reason :?.

Why is this happening?!

I'm so sorry. I know your frustrated. :hug: Maybe you can talk to your vet more or get a second opinion. It could be genetics (?), passed from his mom or dad.

:pray:

Latest posts

Back