New-Update on Jack (RIP sweet Jack)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SweetSassy wrote:
I'm so sorry. I know your frustrated. :hug: Maybe you can talk to your vet more or get a second opinion. It could be genetics (?), passed from his mom or dad.

:pray:

Yeah Jonathon did say that it could be a genetic thing also....I know that sometime's thing's just happen without any explaination....but it's hard for a person like me cause i'm a terrible worrier...i cannot help it...and i just hate not being able to do anything to help in these situations....Jack's situation is just going to get worse and i'm worrying bout that...i'm worried about what's gonna happen later down the track

At the moment he gets this burst of energy and he runs around....not for long like he used to but he still does...it makes me so happy when i see him do that,and sometimes he just 'rest's'...but i know it's all going to stop eventually:(

Cheryl, of course you know you are the best person in Jack's life, so don't worry too much. He's got a great human guardian and companion! :)

Gordon wrote:
Cheryl, of course you know you are the best person in Jack's life, so don't worry too much. He's got a great human guardian and companion! :)

Thank's Gordon,i appreciate that very much :)

I'm just worrying bout things....that's all....i know i shouldn't worry so much

I keep trying to do some research,but i have no idea what the links are talking about

I just wish i knew a bit more....Jonathon didn't really explain much....but i didn't ask enough questions either...i was just upset cause i wasn't expecting that kind of news...when he was showing me the xrays iasked so Jack doesn't have arthritis?...Jonathon said that some would class what Jack has as arthritis...but he also used another name for it but cannot remember.

I keep thinking about a second opinion,i don't know if i should take him to see Dr Lee or not

If Jack can run around the back yard for a bit,he cannot be that bad just yet...right?

He still does everything as he used to....he still follows me to the kitcken just waiting for something to eat....after lying down he still gets up and has a big stretch...he still goes up and down the back stairs.....it's ok i'm just looking on the bright side of what Jack can still do

I need to get a new camera so i can take a video of him,if my camera didn't break down on me i would have had a video by now and new pictures.

Oh, I'm so sorry. It sounds quite serious. I know some bunnies seem to get a spinal arthritis, where the discs deteriorate and the vertebrae fuse a bit. It can be very painful, so the metacam is a good idea. I wonder if something like hylauronic acid (sp?), glucosamine, or chondroitin would help? Vitamin B can help with nerve damage, but I'm pretty sure it has to be injected.

[[hugs]]

tonyshuman wrote:
I wonder if something like hylauronic acid (sp?), glucosamine, or chondroitin would help? Vitamin B can help with nerve damage, but I'm pretty sure it has to be injected.
Claire what is hylauronic acid and chondroitin?....i know what glucosamine is though

Oh my goodness...Hilde i read the first link and that sounds so much like Jack...in this part..

HRS Article: [size=+1]OLD RABBIT PARALYSIS PART I: Spondylosis of the Lumbar Spine and Trauma [/size]

Q. We have been told that our bunny has "old bunny paralysis" and nothing can be done. Is this true? What is this and why does it happen?

There are many diseases that can affect the neurological state of a rabbit. It is often necessary to perform one or more diagnostic tests to determine the cause. There are also occasions when the diagnosis in only suggested based on ruling out other causes of disease. Let us look at a list of some of the more common diseases that can result in paralysis or weakness of the pet rabbit. In Part 1 we will look at spondylosis of the lumbar spine and trauma.

Spondylosis of the lumbar spine
This is a fairly common disease of rabbits over 4 years of age, particularly females of medium to large breeds.
Cause: The vertebrae in the lumbar or back area gradually develop little bony protrusions that can eventually bridge to the adjacent vertebrae resulting in the fusion of the two. No one knows the exact reason this happens, but it is likely an aging process. It can be aggravated if a rabbit is carrying excess body weight (obese). This is not life threatening and can progress for years.

Signs: The fusing of the vertebrae decreases the flexibility of the spine and prevents the rabbit from being able to jump and run as easily. Before these bony "spurs" fuse completely, they can rub on each other and cause some pain. The pain may come and go dependent on things such as the weather and how much exercise the rabbit got the day before. Rabbits affected with this disease "shuffle" rather than hop and on some days can become very reluctant to move at all. As the disease progresses, it may be difficult for the rabbit to get in and out of the litter box and he may soil himself.

I just don't understand the part where it says about the little bony protusions that can eventually bridge to the adjacent vertebrae resulting in the fusion of the two.

When Jonathon was showing me the xrays he was explaining about the discs....one disc had no littlegap in the middle like the others did but another disc was starting to go like the bad one...is that what it means when the article says about resulting in fusion of the two?....i don't know and i now feel like i should have asked a lot more questions

Jack's spinal cord is fine there is also no trauma or anything in the xray just his discs are wearing out

Thanks heaps as that is the first link that actually has made sense to me

Jack can still clean himself just fine still...so that mean's he can't be that bad yet..is that right?....also he's not over weight or anything...he just weigh's 2kg...but for the five years that i have had him he has never really put on any weight...he has always been a kinda slim boy....no matter how much he eats

Hyaluronic acid and chondroitin (and glucosamine) are compounds that make up the connective tissue, like the discs of fluid and stuff that cushion the joints. They can be taken as supplements by people who have arthritis, but they're usually derived from animal products, so I don't know how you'd get a bunny to take them (as strict vegetarians). It might be worthwhile to ask the vet about them, though.

The thing about the bony protrusions: it's like these little spurs grow off of each vertebrae and grow toward the next bone in the spine. Eventually the spurs will be long enough to bridge the gaps between the bones.

We've had bunnies that had spondolysis on here before, but the search is wonky right now.

tonyshuman wrote:
The thing about the bony protrusions: it's like these little spurs grow off of each vertebrae and grow toward the next bone in the spine. Eventually the spurs will be long enough to bridge the gaps between the bones.

Thank's Claire,i'll ask Jonathon when i take Jack back in a week's time

So is this what's happening to Jack's vertebrae or whateversince the gaps are closing up?

I'm sorry to ask question's like this, but any advice is appreciated so very much

SweetSassy wrote:
I'm curious. They do back surgery on alot of animals, are rabbits ruled out? And why?

Hey April,

I myself have no idea bout that,but seeing Jack's xrays,and what has been going on with his spine,i just really don't think anything like thatcan help him now :(

SweetSassy wrote:
I'm sorry :hug:

I was just thinking if they fuse the disc's. But the way a rabbits back is shaped, it prob wouldn't work. IDK.
Thank's April...i do appreciate the thought very much

You know i have never heard of this problem that Jack has,and i never thought in a million years that the result's would be as devestating as they are....I thought he was just getting arthritis.

You know...I was reading that story about Bijou and i struggled to get through it....I know sometime eventually down the track...that's going to happen to Jack

Ok since i actually have a name for what Jack has,it has now made it easier for me to look it up....i'm sure Jonathon might have mentioned it but i might not have been listening properly as when i get over worried i miss things that i'm being told.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts about Jack developing a lump under one of his vertebrae...well i just found an article that had mentioned this can happen with a bunny that has spondylosis...it's a non cancerous tumour....now i don't know if that's going to affect him in any way.....i guess i have to start writing down all my question's for Jonathon as i know i alway's forget to ask the questions that i want to ask...i know it must sound weird...i'm also wondering if this is why he has lost weight.

I will do everything i can for my boy...I really really hate this though

It's not going to be easy, to say the least. We're here for you, though, and there are things you can do to help him. There are stronger pain meds, and other things you can do.

http://www.hrschicago.org/rabbit3fr.html
This bunny lived to age 8 with spondylosis
http://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/bijou_the_bunny

In this link, I have also heard about Adequan and Cosequin for bunnies with arthritis issues, and how they help. They're like the glucosamine/chondroitin/hyaloruonic I mentioned before:
http://books.google.com/books?id=3G...&hl=en#v=onepage&q=rabbit spondylosis&f=false

I also have heard good things about this book:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/159580031X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And the member TreasuredFriend may have a bunny with this condition. Her bunny Karla has limited mobility and arthritis. I'm pretty sure she has some type of wheelchair device for her, plus lots of experience keeping a bunny with limited mobility comfortable. Karla gets acupuncture as well.

I know Jack is in a good place--he has lots of bunny friends and a mom with his best interests at heart. He'll let you know when things become too much for him to handle.

[hugs]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks heaps Claire for the info...i really do appreciate it so much...I was thinking that eventually Jack will need something stronger than metacam.

Jonathon never really said much about it...all he really said is that Jack's getting old and it's just one of those thing's that happen.

I keep thinking back to Pippi and how much stress i went through with him,i know Pippi had EC,so it's completely differen't...but what a bad time i went through.....now i gotta do it all over again with Jack....how will i know when Jack need's stronger pain relief? i'm worried i won't know...i keep watching him all the time,if i cannot see him,i go looking for him to make sure he's ok

I need to hurry and get a new camera so i can take a video toshow you how he hops,it's like a very lazy hop

Do you know what i'm really scared of now...is that one day any time,that i'm going to wake up in the morning or come home from work and Jack won't be hopping anymore :(

What's happening with my bunnies?!...I also have Cassidy who is blind

:cry4: Just reading your posts, It's emotional. I feel so bad that this is happening to Jack, and you. I wish we had a magic wand to make our sick bunnies better. I get anxiety when my rabbits don't feel good. But this... I can't imagine.

I know you will do everything you can for him. Your a great mom to your bunnies. You and Jack are in my prayers :pray: I will follow your thread to see how Jack is getting along. You can PM me anytime if you need to talk or vent.

:hug1 Hugs to you and Jack.

Thanks April :),

Yeah i also get over anxious when one of my bunnies aren't well....I just worry...i'm already a worrier and something like this makes it even worse..and this is more or less the only place i can come to..to express my feelings cause no body really understands what i go through..it's just hard sometimes...and i can be a very emontional person as well which doesn't help...I can only take it one day at a time

I had the vet nurse call me at work today asking how Jack was getting along....the people at this vet are really very nice.

Thanks again for the thought April

Latest posts

Back