New to this whole thing and her poop is so soft.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have carrots maybe you can get carrot tops you can give her instead, they are good for rabbits and she should eat them. I agree with what Preitler said above, about crushing some pellets, making a paste and putting some on her front legs so she will have to lick it and she can start eating pellets after that.

She eats like what you give her now for about 5-6 days now and her stomach is upset that is why her poop is so bad.

Here if you can ask at your local food market if they would give you some carrot tops they are safe for rabbits.
bunch-carrots-greens-1421066.jpg

They may also have mint fresh or dried you can give her a little as a medicine it is good for upset stomach, but she might also refuse it if she never had mint before. Parsley greens would suit too.
1/3 of celery stick, romaine lettuce or other lettuce (except of Iceberg)

You got rabbit pellets with hay as I understood so making paste with water should help.
Good luck and please keep us posted :)

Last edited:
I got some dry hay. She's not eating it.
Do you think chopping it to small pieces would help?

She only eats carrots and parsley. Nothing else.
I don't know what to do

The first pic is for last night. When her diarrhea was at its worst.
The other pics are from today. I got her hay and made a little toy. She doesn't use none.

Attachments

• 20190323_055758-600x800.jpg
    20190323_055758-600x800.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190323_183013-600x800.jpg
    20190323_183013-600x800.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20190323_182928-800x600.jpg
    20190323_182928-800x600.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 32
I got some dry hay. She's not eating it.
Do you think chopping it to small pieces would help?
Good news, well done! :)
She's upset right now and maybe scared everything she had over past few days caused troubles so she maybe don't trust food anymore. Here are many people with years of experience with rabbits and can probably suggest how to make her eat hay again (if she was on hay previously as was said by other people on this thread she maybe had fresh grass or what you have locally there). I only have a few months of real experience with rabbits, but I have four from 8 weeks of age so a bit of experience with juniors.

I also made some mistakes I gave my first rabbit 8 weeks old some Iceberg lettuce I didn't know it is not good for him and he was unhappy next day and his stomach was bloating but I watched him and learned that Iceberg is bad and also that he's generally too young to have much greens or vegetables, I gave him a full carrot too, and a half of an apple. I was generous :) He is a very strong rabbit and after I noticed his belly is big and he's not eating and not very active I just stopped giving him vegetables for a couple days then learned which ones are good for him and was very careful after that. He never had any problems after that as he's getting proper food, you can always see if rabbit poops well he's healthy.

With my other rabbit girl she had false pregnancy when she was about 11-12 weeks she started pulling her fur and built nest with hay and fur in the corner, but it was just a few days and after that she was back to normal but maybe that was too stressful and she got sick after that she couldn't control where she urinates and she was all cold and shaking and her fur looked like oiled as she didn't clean herself, was horrible time I didn't know how to help her, she had no diarrhea but some softer poops and I was very scared I thought she might be dying. I gave her some dried herbs every night a little - less than a handful of mint, thyme, chamomile flowers - I dry my own herbs for herbal teas for myself so I use them as medicine for myself so I had some. I made her some chamomile tea and gave her in her bottle half tea half water and she drunk (but I was lucky as not every rabbit would drink) it was good for her stomach I wrapped her into a blanket and held her on me for hours she was very weak. When I put her back to the cage with the blanket she peed on it I changed it often, I think that her plastic floor was cold and I covered with cardboard she peed everywhere I changed it to keep it dry, she also bit me every time I tried to touch her or give her food, I was all covered with bleeding scars. She was very scared so was I, I honestly thought she is dying.
It started on Friday and vets were closed so it was a horror weekend I made an appointment with vet for Tuesday but she was much better and I canceled it, and after a few days she was fine and happy, ate well and pooped a lot, she's all good now but I don't let her lay on her plastic floor put cardboard box and hay and made a wooden shelf for her so I was so scared :)

So your girl will be fine hopefully, I know vets are very expensive and now is weekend but you are doing good for getting her hay and rabbit pellets, hopefully she will start eating hay, as far as I know hay must be 80% of rabbit's diet (or grass as other people said above, just they are getting hay mostly it's probably easier for their owners when they live at home not in nature) and only 10% dry pellets and 10% of vegetables/leafy greens but you have to introduce to vegetables slowly after they are about 6 months. But sometimes you can try earlier but very carefully, one type of vegetable at once and a very small amount.

By the way, there are two types of poop maybe you don't know yet, usual dry berries and they also produce some soft smelly poops and larger than berries you normally don't see them because rabbits eat them they need them for their health but when they are sick or upset they maybe forget eating them and you can see them so don't be scared. But normally she should make lots of dry berries when she gets suitable food. If she will start eating hay she will get better soon. Well maybe there are some tricks to encourage her to eat it, hopefully she'll be alright :)

Where did you get hay and hay pellets for her?

The first pic is for last night. When her diarrhea was at its worst.
The other pics are from today. I got her hay and made a little toy. She doesn't use none.
I like the lining you put there so you can change it often, what are the black dots on it don't look like poop? What dry food did you buy can you tell what is written on package?

I give my rabbits drinking water I don't drink water from tap myself as it has too much chemicals in where I live so I give them same still drinking water I buy for myself or boiled water, especially if there's problem with stomach.

Where did you get hay is it from pet store or from people keeping horses?

I like the lining you put there so you can change it often, what are the black dots on it don't look like poop? What dry food did you buy can you tell what is written on package?

I give my rabbits drinking water I don't drink water from tap myself as it has too much chemicals in where I live so I give them same still drinking water I buy for myself or boiled water, especially if there's problem with stomach.

Where did you get hay is it from pet store or from people keeping horses?
I got the hay from a cow farm. It smells terrible, my mum suggested to throw it away and i did.
I think that's why she wouldn't eat it. It was dirty.
As soon as i get back from vacation I'll get a healthy one from the pet store if available or order online.
I still don't know when does she wants to poop or pee. Are there any signs? I couldn't find any signs on Google.
(She's asleep again behind the fire place )

Attachments

• 20190323_201703-800x600.jpg
    20190323_201703-800x600.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 17
She suppose to poop all the time and pee too, but if she doesn't eat she maybe can't poop.
She's very pretty.
If you are not scared of difficulties of keeping her you have to get a bigger cage and give her a litter box so she can use it for poop&pee. Fill it with shredded paper or wood shavings or something that will absorb urine so she could stay dry herself. With my first rabbit I used a simple washing tub filled with small animal bedding (wood shavings, saw dust) I got from supermarket in home pets section and covered with hay so he could eat hay and poop same time. After a while I found better absorbing litter wood pellets (or there you probably can find recycled paper pellets in pet stores, they are good too) they are great and I need to clean litter box every 4-7 days it doesn't stink because wood pellets absorb urine very well.

Here was red box when he was about 9 weeks old, simple kitchen plastic tub.

SAM_0111.JPG

I've got a corner toilet for him too, it was great for toilet training when he was smaller but he overgrew it and now my other rabbit is using it happily.

SAM_0054.JPG

Here was his cage at the time, I gave him a little hide from fruit box in supermarket off recycled paper like underlay for transporting fruits, he loved it, and there's a simple kitchen towel he used as his mat and also played with it and chewed.

SAM_0050.JPG
My other rabbit spent one day in a temporary cage you see there's her litter box red there are wood pellets underneath and hay over them and there's her blanket as she's very fluffy it is hard for her to walk on plastic, and her toys. She spent one day there while I got her cage ready, now she has 100 x 50 cm cage. She's 9 months old.

Rabbits also need a little hide some cardboard box they like their privacy.

I can't upload more photo here I will try in another post

So more pictures from Leo when he was smaller 8-12 weeks old, I had no experience and tried different things improving his cage and toilet you see.

leo-1.jpg
Now, here's what I said in previous post, here's Bernie it was first day I brought her home and her cage wasn't ready so I made a temporary one of a plastic container and fireguard safety panels. You see there's her litter box red there are wood pellets underneath and hay over them and there's her blanket as she's very fluffy it is hard for her to walk on plastic, and her toys. She spent one day there while I got her cage ready, now she has 100 x 50 cm cage. She's 9 months old.

bernie-1.jpg

Now she has a bigger cage but I keep improving it

bernie-2.jpg bernie-3.jpg bernie-4.jpg

I put puppy training tray instead of her blanket as she's very fluffy can't walk on plastic floor but it is also temporary still not perfect! I keep working on it :)

bernie-5.jpg

When you are back home from your vacations and can visit your pet store you can look for litter like I said best are wood pellets and recycled paper pellets they absorb urine very good and there's no smell at all for 4-7 days depending on how much she will pee, poo-berries have no smell when your rabbit is healthy, urine stinks.

SAM_2711%20copy-600x600.jpg

2355551-center-1

Those are best, I prefer wood pellets myself, but if they're not available where you live there are more options
2355622-center-1

Or just you can do it yourself shredded paper

bbb61f582fe06bddfaa904b967ad56d1.jpg

Can you list the ingredients in the hay pellets? And how do they smell? You want to make sure they don't smell sour or musty, or have any black or whitish spots in them, which would be an indication of mold. If the pellets you are talking about are in that bowl in the rabbits cage/basket, then those don't look right to me and may not be good for her.

You NEVER should feed cow quality hay. Cows can eat moldy hay and it won't make them sick, but rabbits cannot or it can make them extremely sick and even die from it. Hay has to be horse quality that has never gotten wet or become moldy(sour or musty smell, white or black pieces/spots, white dust in it, or moisture in the hay). You want hay that is a good green color and smells sweet like grass, or it may have a bit of a tobacco smell, and it shouldn't be wet or damp, or have ever gotten wet.

If all you have available is vegetables, try and feed mostly green leafy veggies like has been suggested(carrot tops, dark green leaf lettuces, parsley, cilantro, spinach, kale, etc). You will need to feed a lot of them as the baby will need lots of nutrients to make up for no hay/grass. Or if you have fresh grass, that can be fed too, preferably the longer stems as new soft growth can sometimes be too rich and cause digestive problems.

Last edited:
So more pictures from Leo when he was smaller 8-12 weeks old, I had no experience and tried different things improving his cage and toilet you see.

View attachment 40036
Now, here's what I said in previous post, here's Bernie it was first day I brought her home and her cage wasn't ready so I made a temporary one of a plastic container and fireguard safety panels. You see there's her litter box red there are wood pellets underneath and hay over them and there's her blanket as she's very fluffy it is hard for her to walk on plastic, and her toys. She spent one day there while I got her cage ready, now she has 100 x 50 cm cage. She's 9 months old.

View attachment 40037

Now she has a bigger cage but I keep improving it

View attachment 40038 View attachment 40039 View attachment 40040

I put puppy training tray instead of her blanket as she's very fluffy can't walk on plastic floor but it is also temporary still not perfect! I keep working on it :)

View attachment 40041
Oh my god, they're so cute
I'll get the cage as soon as i get back.
Now i put newspaper on his floor.
He doesn't eat the hay pelletes as i expected i did the thing with the pellets , made it into a paste and put it on her hands, feet and mouth.
She still doesn't eat it I don't know how but she spills the water on her floor, although i have tied it.
She poops and sits in the pellets bowl.
But she still poops everywhere around her cage.
I don't know what else to do. I keep feeding her basil and carrots. Those are the only things she eats.
I Feed her, water and then put her to sleep.
She chewed up the toy i made for her.

Attachments

• 20190324_102139-600x800.jpg
    20190324_102139-600x800.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 18
I think that bottle you are using for water is a problem. It's too tall for her to be able to drink out of. You would be better using a dish similar to the one you have the pellets in, that is lower to the ground and easier for her to drink from.

I also have some concerns about those pellets. They don't look right, they are too brown. And honestly, you want pellets to come from a reliable source, because if anything bad is mixed in with the pellets it could either make your rabbit very sick or even die.

You're in a difficult situation and you will just have to do the best you can. I wouldn't feed those pellets at all. I would take them out. You're much better off feeding fresh vegetables and leafy greens than risking feeding those pellets. I would also put in a new water dish that is lower and easier to drink from. And I would keep offering her lots of green leafy herbs and other leafy greens to eat. And if you have to, just keep feeding the carrots, but try to give her more green leafy herbs and other leafy greens if you can. The carrots might cause some mushy poop for now, but that's just something you will have to deal with for the time being. Just do the best you can do for now, and then improve things when you are able to. You just want to make sure she is getting enough to eat for now, as she is a growing bunny and needs lots of nutrients and food.

I once had a very young rabbit that was weaned from it's mother with green leafy lettuce, and that is all the baby rabbit would eat at first. So that's what I had to feed her for the first week. But then gradually I was able to get her eating pellets and hay. But it was very stressful that first week, and she ate a lot of leafy lettuce each day, considering how tiny she was.

Can you list the ingredients in the hay pellets? And how do they smell? You want to make sure they don't smell sour or musty, or have any black or whitish spots in them, which would be an indication of mold. If the pellets you are talking about are in that bowl in the rabbits cage/basket, then those don't look right to me and may not be good for her.

You NEVER should feed cow quality hay. Cows can eat moldy hay and it won't make them sick, but rabbits cannot or it can make them extremely sick and even die from it. Hay has to be horse quality that has never gotten wet or become moldy(sour or musty smell, white or black pieces/spots, white dust in it, or moisture in the hay). You want hay that is a good green color and smells sweet like grass, or it may have a bit of a tobacco smell, and it shouldn't be wet or damp, or have ever gotten wet.

If all you have available is vegetables, try and feed mostly green leafy veggies like has been suggested(carrot tops, dark green leaf lettuces, parsley, cilantro, spinach, kale, etc). You will need to feed a lot of them as the baby will need lots of nutrients to make up for no hay/grass. Or if you have fresh grass, that can be fed too, preferably the longer stems as new soft growth can sometimes be too rich and cause digestive problems.
The pellets contain alfa alfa hay corn flour wheat flour, soy bean meal , cheese powder, DPC, lysine, methionine vitamins and micro elements .
Yes, i realized the smell of the cow hay was bad and i threw it out.

Thank you for all the information.

I'll send the pictures of the pellets box and the pelletes.
(She eats them but very very rarely.)

Attachments

• 20190324_105925-600x800.jpg
    20190324_105925-600x800.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190324_105959-800x600.jpg
    20190324_105959-800x600.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190324_105937-800x600.jpg
    20190324_105937-800x600.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190324_110006-600x800.jpg
    20190324_110006-600x800.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 14
I think that bottle you are using for water is a problem. It's too tall for her to be able to drink out of. You would be better using a dish similar to the one you have the pellets in, that is lower to the ground and easier for her to drink from.

I also have some concerns about those pellets. They don't look right, they are too brown. And honestly, you want pellets to come from a reliable source, because if anything bad is mixed in with the pellets it could either make your rabbit very sick or even die.

You're in a difficult situation and you will just have to do the best you can. I wouldn't feed those pellets at all. I would take them out. You're much better off feeding fresh vegetables and leafy greens than risking feeding those pellets. I would also put in a new water dish that is lower and easier to drink from. And I would keep offering her lots of green leafy herbs and other leafy greens to eat. And if you have to, just keep feeding the carrots, but try to give her more green leafy herbs and other leafy greens if you can. The carrots might cause some mushy poop for now, but that's just something you will have to deal with for the time being. Just do the best you can do for now, and then improve things when you are able to. You just want to make sure she is getting enough to eat for now, as she is a growing bunny and needs lots of nutrients and food.

I once had a very young rabbit that was weaned from it's mother with green leafy lettuce, and that is all the baby rabbit would eat at first. So that's what I had to feed her for the first week. But then gradually I was able to get her eating pellets and hay. But it was very stressful that first week, and she ate a lot of leafy lettuce each day, considering how tiny she was.
She likes the carrots and basil more than anything.
I put the pelletes away as you asked. But do you think the diarrhea will come back?
I made this kind of serum meanwhile and fed her that. The serum contained salt, sugar, baking soda and water mixed together.
She was more energetic when i fed her that. And her poop was more normal .
I stopped feeding her that two days ago.
I replaced everything as you said.

This is her cage now.

Attachments

• 20190324_112714-600x800.jpg
    20190324_112714-600x800.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
This is her cage now.
Hi, I think you are making a good progress I'd second JBun you better remove those food pellets. Apart from that they contain cheese and other unsuitable components their expiration date is January 2018 which was more that a year ago.

That's great that she likes basil try to give her more basil maybe she will feel full and will eat less carrot then. You mentioned that you fed her spinach as well, try give her again if she will eat it now. Now she is feeling better maybe she will eat parsley or coriander (cilantro) I am sure you have a lot of it in your country, not seeds just greens.

coriander.jpg

Just more green leaves but just do best you can in your situation.

I like that you lined her basket and changed the water bowl, I've never heard of the treatment you used for her diarrhea but glad that she doesn't have it anymore. It is very good that she poops and pees so her stomach is working it is very important. She won't probably drink much as she's on fresh food.

Great job, I see you are putting much effort to taking care of her hopefully you are home soon and will get everything done properly :)

Now, when you are going through the challenges you will understand and support each other better and will have a great time together :)

Last edited:
It's much better now. She pees on the littler i chose for her. We ran out of carrots anf basil. I'll have to replace something till i get back home and buy everything she needs.
Thanks for all the help. She's so energetic and loving.❤️
I'll post the updates.

Oh btw i don't think the date is expired on the pelletes.
It says 2020/1. I'm not sure.
She likes them now. Eats them a lot more than before. I think a little won't be bad as long as she poops safely.

She still doesn't drink water. I give the water with the vegetables that contain a lot of water. 20190324_200620-600x600.jpg 20190324_200620-600x600.jpg 20190324_200620-600x600.jpg 20190324_200620-600x600.jpg 20190324_201047-600x600.jpg

It's much better now. She pees on the littler i chose for her. We ran out of carrots anf basil. I'll have to replace something till i get back home and buy everything she needs.
Thanks for all the help. She's so energetic and loving.❤️
I'll post the updates.
That's great Sophie please keep us posted just see if you have some green leaves, just avoid onions and garlic.

My rabbits like green cabbage leaves, broccoli and cauliflower stems and leaves (I give some broccoli florets too sometimes), lettuces (except of Iceberg lettuce), fresh fennel, carrot and beetroot tops, dandelions, thyme fresh and dried, coriander (they it call cilantro in US), mustard greens, just see what you can source.

Latest posts

Back