New to the Rabbit world

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellysharma

Reaction score
I have just bought a bunny and would like to keep it outside. It has wire mesh underneath inside the shelter area too.
1. Should I put a wooden board in there or just straw?
2. The water dispenser bottle, does it need to on the straight side - not sure if it affects the working if the bottle is not vertical.
3. What should be laid on floor if I want to bring the bunny indoors in a playpen?
4. What will be the best way to protect the bunny from high winds?
Thank youIMG_1901.jpg

I would recommend to build a hutch with a run attached to it. Those cages are too small and in my country often don’t have the legal size for bunnies as a cage.

Does the cage stand directly on the ground?

2. Water are best to give in a bowl, more natural and bunnies get more water from it.

3. Indoors in a pen, have fleece blankets or a carpet as a floor. [emoji5]

Will the bunny be alone, if it will be alone better to have the bunny indoors. Housing outdoors without a friend can cause the bunny to become depressed. Because they won’t get as much contact and social interaction.

Myself own two outdoor bunnies and I don’t spend as much time with them as my indoor bunny. So they often just have each other while my indoor bunny live with the family. He comes when he want to be petted, when he want attention, follow the family like a shadow. He have the routine to eat hay the same time someone eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

So bunnies are really social companion and will need friends.

In the picture I only see a lot of pellets. Bunnies should have 90% hay and then veggies, pellets it’s only a small part of their diet. So bunnies often get a controlled amount of pellets, it should only be pure pellets without other stuff in it.

Good luck being a bunny parent [emoji5]

Last edited:
You definitely need something bigger than that. I suggest setting it up attached to a playpen in a shed. The picture below is what I have for my rabbit.
2019-12-27.jpg
If you don't have a shed you could build something like this:
2000x1125.jpg
I agree with @Hermelin about two is better than one. I have only Theo and now I'm having to look for a rabbit to bond him with to keep him company. Housing indoors is better than outdoors, if you have that option.
The feeding option @Hermelin gave you is correct. The rabbit should be getting lots of hay, 2 cups of veggies, and maybe 1/4 cup of pellets a day.

Latest posts

Back