New to the Rabbit World - Need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskar72

Reaction score
Good morning all,
I'm a newbie here and a newbie to the rabbit world. I need advice and help please.
My daughter was given a lionhead rabbit from a guy she works with (I don't have a good pic right now).
She won't let you pick her up but will let you pet her which makes it hard to clean her current enclosure. Is this normal?
The previous owner (from the looks of Lola (the rabbit) didn't care for her well.

Can I please get advice on how to have a rabbit as a pet? I've only had dogs.
What kind of treats do you give them? We have food already.
Can you send pics of your enclosures for indoors so I know how to set something up?
Do they use a liter box (Lola poops A LOT)?
I have no clue how old she is either.

I feel stupid and clueless :)

The links provided above will be a good head start!

In the meantime, skip any thoughts of treats if you just got her. One thing unique about rabbits is that their digestive systems are rather finicky and an upset tummy often leads to potentially deadly GI stasis. Sudden diet changes upset the delicate balance of gut flora that can lead to problems. So don't offer treats (at least for the first several weeks) because that can lead to gut issues.

Do you have hay for her? Pellet food should only make up about 3% of her diet. The bulk should be hay. Hay can (and should) be added to her diet immediately if she isn't already getting it. Hay is the one exception to the "no sudden diet changes" rule. Hay is the best for the gut and helps maintain good gut health.

Rabbits can produce 250 poos per day -- so yes! they poop alot!! Fortunately they also litter train rather easily. The link provided above will show you how. (The rest of that site is also filled with rabbit care tips.)

The links provided above will be a good head start!

In the meantime, skip any thoughts of treats if you just got her. One thing unique about rabbits is that their digestive systems are rather finicky and an upset tummy often leads to potentially deadly GI stasis. Sudden diet changes upset the delicate balance of gut flora that can lead to problems. So don't offer treats (at least for the first several weeks) because that can lead to gut issues.

Do you have hay for her? Pellet food should only make up about 3% of her diet. The bulk should be hay. Hay can (and should) be added to her diet immediately if she isn't already getting it. Hay is the one exception to the "no sudden diet changes" rule. Hay is the best for the gut and helps maintain good gut health.

Rabbits can produce 250 poos per day -- so yes! they poop alot!! Fortunately they also litter train rather easily. The link provided above will show you how. (The rest of that site is also filled with rabbit care tips.)
We were given Timothy Hay with her but I haven't opened it yet. I will this weekend for sure and give her some. We have pellet food as well. Thanks for the info. I will continue to dig around the site as well as view the links above.

We were given Timothy Hay with her but I haven't opened it yet. I will this weekend for sure and give her some. We have pellet food as well. Thanks for the info. I will continue to dig around the site as well as view the links above.

For a general guide, a rabbit should eat their body size in hay every day. It is the single most important part of any rabbit's diet. The pellets should only be about three percent of her diet.

Latest posts

Back