New to the Forum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemishwhite

Reaction score
Bunny, our 11 1/2 year old house rabbit died unexpectedly a month ago. My wife and I were very sad. She had lived with us for over 10 years completely uncaged in our house. Excellent litter box behavior. She slept in our bedroom with us and it was very comforting. If anything unusual was going on in the night she would start thumping...a regular little watch dog that didn't bark..just thumped. She was such a good little girl and she was very obedient. She loved to go outside. My wife or me always accompanied her outside. What she really loved to do was lay in a bush that was near the sidewalk. People would walk their dogs. I think she got a big thrill laying hidden while dogs walked by only a few feet away and the dogs didn't know she was there. When it was time to go inside, she would obediently hop into the house.

I really enjoyed sharing my house with a rabbit. Every morning, I would set in the dining room reading the Wall Street Journal drinking my coffee, and Bunny would typically be running her morning exercise laps around the house. Every few minutes, there'd be a thump, thump, thump as she ran by. Sort of a surrealistic thing.

It was only a few weeks after she died that we decided to buy another rabbit. Since Bunny liked to be outdoors so much, I decided to buy a rabbit that would be big enough to be in our back yard unaccompanied for a hour or so without being worried about a feral cat attack. We will leave the back door open for it to run back into the house if need be. A Flemish rabbit was what I wanted to buy. They range from 15 to over 22 pounds...enough to thwart a feral cat. When we went to buy our Flemish, there was a large pen with 8 weeks old babies. One white baby, with a dark grey nose and dark grey ears, hopped towards us as we entered the pen. Didn't really want a white, but was really impressed with the friendliness. After spending several minutes in the bunny pen, it was obvious that my friendly white rabbit was very bonded with another almost exactly similar appearance rabbit. So I bought them both. For the buns, this was an excellent decision. They just love being together. They sleep and eat side by side, and groom each other.

But now having TWO bouncing BABY bunnies in the house is an unexpected workload after having lived for so many years with an older calm rabbit. We cannot leave the two Flemish babies in the house alone..we have to be with them when they are out of their pen. During the day they tend to sleep, at morning and early evening, they become very active and we have to keep an eye on them to check out if they are chewing on something they shouldn't be. both of them can be very rambunctious...running and bouncing off the furniture. After so many years with our older calm house bunny, we sort of forgot that this is expected on young rabbits. It's amusing to watch them running and jumping. They are surprisingly very acrobatic.

They immediately were acceptably litter box trained, even at 8 weeks old. We have a litter box in their pen, which is in our living room, and during the day, the pen door is open for them to access the litter box. But have to initially put rabbit litter boxes where they want. We have two more litter boxes in places where they wanted to pee. We had to do this with our previous rabbit. Eventually, our previous rabbit only needed one litter box.

Our two baby Flemish..we don't know the sex yet. We have vet appointment next Friday. I think I could do it myself, but you have to roll them on their back, which they don't like. I'll just wait for the vet. One bun is very outgoing, curious, and very friendly. The other bun is reserved and shy and a little smaller.

Are you sure they are Flemish? They don't normally come in a pointed variety. The only white Flemish I know of are pure white with red eyes which is albino.

I hope someone didn't sell you Californians instead. If they did the personalities aren't much different and cals still get a decent size ~10-12lbs

Congrats on tge babies though

Are you sure they are Flemish? They don't normally come in a pointed variety. The only white Flemish I know of are pure white with red eyes which is albino.

I hope someone didn't sell you Californians instead. If they did the personalities aren't much different and cals still get a decent size ~10-12lbs

Congrats on tge babies though

Thanks, actually we're really happy with them. The outgoing one is very friendly...hopping up to me for a pet from day one. Tonight, after two weeks the shy one hopped up for a petting. Actually, I think it was jealous of me petting the more outgoing one.

Our buns are not registered. They were born after two males were bonded together by a pet lover, and then one of the "males" had 7 babies! Mama and Papa are supposedly Flemish and weight over 20 pounds. I saw Mama...big rabbit. Mama rabbit is brownish. She had 7 babies. Three were white, two were black, and two brownish. Our two white rabbits have red eyes. One has black ears and a black nose (the shy one), and the other has dark grey ears and a dark grey nose (the outgoing rabbit). A few days short of being 12 weeks old and they are already the size of most pet rabbits. I'm not that fussy about what size they'll finish out at, I just want them to be feral cat proof and want them to be good bonded pets. They are eating a tremendous amount of food..they have all the pellets to eat that they want. Their litter boxes are full of oat and timothy hay. (Multiple litter boxes in the house.) They eat a lot of hay. We feed them green carrot tops and romaine lettuce greens. There have been times when we go to a grocery store and buy out all their romaine lettuce...and lettuce is just a small portion of what they eat! They also get apple, guava, banana slices for treats.

Having two baby rabbits is like having two young puppies...they are so active during the morning and evening. Thankfully they sleep most of the day and night. We can't have them loose in the house unless someone is there to watch over them...chewing is an issue at this age. This is such a contrast to our nearly 12 year old house bunny. We could leave her free to roam the house by herself, and there was no problem whatsoever. Absolute litter box discipline and no chewing. Ok, Ok, she'd sometimes chew newspaper, a cardboard box on the floor. Miss her.

Looking forward to our Flemish rabbit pair (if they are Flemish). They are certainly going to be big rabbits. They love each other so much, and now even the shy one is getting friendly with me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back