New to the bunny world

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwantatwinkie

Reaction score
Hey guys. My name is Chris. I am going to go get me a bunny tommorrow. Not sure what kind, whichever one I bond to the quickest. Just a couple of questions though. What kind of food do you suggest for a young rabbit? Also if I get 2 baby litter mates what is the likely hood of them getting along when they are older? The person I am getting them from is a breeder and I have only heard good things about her. I have also seen some of her rabbits and they are very tame. Thanks for your time.

Welcome Chris,

I'd buy some food that the breeder is using at first. Most of your questions will be able to be answered by the breeder, but heads up:when the rabbits enter puberty (a couple of months old), they start having hormonal issues and some do tend to fight, so you do have to be careful of that when the time comes.

I'd suggest you get one to start out with and learn with and see how it goes. (Believe me, one rabbit will keep you 'hoppin!)

If you want another in the future, you can always save another rabbit's life at a shelter. There will be tons of rabbits at the shelters in a couple of weeks since Easter is 'long over'. The novelty of a rabbit wears off and the poor things get dropped off. You'd be able to get cages, etc., for a Very Good Price because there are many rabbits in need.

-Carolyn

Hey Carolyn, I am planning on just getting one rabbit but knowing me I'll fall in love with everyone of them. But I'll try to limit myself to one bunny. I have been studying up on rabbits for a couple of weeks now and have heard of the terrible teens for rabbits. I plan on getting it fixed or spayed. Don't want my house sprayed. It's terrible and hard to understand how someone can just drop their pet off like they do. What breeds do ya'll suggest?

Hi Iwantatwinkle,

I think the question what's everyone's favorite breed is much like asking what's everyone's favorite color. You'll get all different answers. :)

I think you were Right On with your first thought. Go with the rabbit that bonds with you the quickest. That's how I did it with my animals. I'd always judge which one I'd get by who was the best hugger. BOY, did Tucker fool me! Big Phoney barely wanted anything to do with me until after he was neutered.

You'll know it when you pick the rabbit up that you want. Have fun, and you're wise to stick with one. You'd have to be able to accommodate for separate cages if they're of different genders to prevent from breeding before they're fixed, or in the case they do fight.

-Carolyn

lol, Carolyn, I solved the issue of them hating me after I got them fixed easily. I went on vacation for a week and let my sister and brother in law take them to the vet. ;)They've never been so glad to see me in their life! lol, I took them from those mean people, ha ha, okay so they aren't THAT mean. lol, and they bonded with my sisters dog, which I have pictures of Mocha and Maggie together that I will get posted ASAP.

In the case of having two rabbits that fight and being prepared to buy two cages, well......I had to buy two cages now that my girls hit their four month mark, not due to actual fur flying,biting,or fighting but due to mounting of each other and tempers flying~they get annoyed really easily with each other and then race like hell around the one cage trying to "catch" the other. ENOUGH was ENOUGH (plus poor little Jezebel's tail was being used as a chew toy and she was allowing this) so I separated them. I would like to say though, this is only temporary until the "special Tainan to Taipei bus trip"they are to betaking in the near future! Since all rabbits have different personalities one can not assume that there is always going to be fighting or for that matter that you can not bond with your bunnies if they have each other.....since both mine have bonded with me in their own ways over the months. Last though, two rabbits....HOLY BAJEZUS whata handful hehehehehe :p get a dustbuster...

Cher

Latest posts

Back