New to rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki8jean

Reaction score
Hello :) I came here before when I tried to rescue a 2 day old rabbit from a crazy family who left it to die...that didn't work out. The poor thing only lived a week. But, I would like to get a rabbit as a pet and wondered if I could have some advice. I live in a small home so I would like a small rabbit. i have been doing some research and found that I love the look and what I have read about the mini lop. Can anyone offer any advice on this breed?

Hi, can you put your location in your profile? Thanks!

Mini-lops are small, but not THAT small, I think the usual weight is 6 lbs or so. (Holland lops are smaller).

Here's a little info about breed standards, colours, etc.

Mini-Lops

I have a small girl named Darry (she looks a bit like a dairy cow) and she's outgoing, curious and a nice little rabbit, although she's not keen on 'hands', so she doesn't like pets as much as the others, but that was probably because she was treated badly before she arrived here.

I'm sure you'll be getting lots of feedback on this one!

So glad you're chosing to adopt another bunny!

sas :bunnydance:

Ok so Holland Lops?! Why do they name a rabbit "mini" if it really isn't? I had a mini rex as a kid and it was huge!
Thanks for the advice...We are having a county fair next week and I'm wondering if there will be any Holland Lops in the rabbit barn for sale

I have a mini lop and everyone thinks he is huge/fat. lol I just tell them that he is furry, which he is. I might try Petfinder.com as well, as that is where you can find local shelters in your area that have rabbits. Usually the ones adopted from shelters are already neutered, which is nice.

I have four rabbits, one hates hands, another will only be petted when he is in the mood, my other girl hates people, and my baby boy fred will let me pet him as I am his mommy! So just be aware when getting your rabbit, don't expect it to be cuddly and enjoy being petted. I have a foster here who LOVES people and I have seen others who love people as well, just keep that in mind, and be sure to ask about how their temperment is and how they feel about people. Good Luck!:)

holland lops normally weigh between 3 and 4 pounds as an adult, were a mini lop will be between 5 and 7 pounds.

i have owned both and i have found that the mini lops tend to be a little bit more lazy. although it isn't always the case.

i would suggest spending time in the bunny barn at your fair, and just look at the different breeds. don't commit yourself to a breed untill your are holding the bun you want (i was always indifferent to mini lops as a breed, i breed hollands and loved them, now i found myself owning a mini lop and not a holland. funny how the world works)

nikki8jean wrote:
Ok so Holland Lops?! Why do they name a rabbit "mini" if it really isn't? I had a mini rex as a kid and it was huge!
Thanks for the advice...We are having a county fair next week and I'm wondering if there will be any Holland Lops in the rabbit barn for sale

Lop rabbits, English Lops, are very huge rabbits. A mini lop is a smaller version of a bigger lop rabbit such as an English Lop. I hade a mini lop rabbit last year. They really are mini, if you have ever seen a regular size lop, rex, etc. I thought that dwarf rabbits were huge until I saw the bigger rabbit breeds.

English Lop = biggest lop breed

Mini Lop = medium sized breed

Holland Lop = smallest lop breed

Hopefully you can get a good idea with that. The Netherland Dwarf rabbit is the smallest rabbit out of all the rabbit breeds. The Flemish Giant is the biggest rabbit out of all the rabbit breeds.

Sweetie wrote:
nikki8jean wrote:

Lop rabbits, English Lops, are very huge rabbits. A mini lop is a smaller version of a bigger lop rabbit such as an English Lop. I hade a mini lop rabbit last year. They really are mini, if you have ever seen a regular size lop, rex, etc. I thought that dwarf rabbits were huge until I saw the bigger rabbit breeds.

English Lop = biggest lop breed

Mini Lop = medium sized breed

Holland Lop = smallest lop breed

Hopefully you can get a good idea with that. The Netherland Dwarf rabbit is the smallest rabbit out of all the rabbit breeds. The Flemish Giant is the biggest rabbit out of all the rabbit breeds.

You're forgetting the French Lop. ;) Mini Lops are basically the smaller version of a French Lop. But yes, Hollands are the smallest of the lop breed.

French Lops are actually a little biggerthan the EL's, weight wise anyway. Not by much though, only a pound more. ;)

The Polish and the Netherland are the two smallest breeds of rabbits. ;)

Emily

I have a mini lop. His name is Chewie. He's the most confident, funniest rabbit I've ever had. He flops a LOT. He's also a little beggar when I have treats or greens.

Yes, he is fluffier, but he's not fat. I think he weighs five pounds, so a bit more than my other two, who are each about three pounds.

Chewie's also got the sweetest face I've ever seen! There was no way around falling in love with him.

Mini Lops are well known among rabbit judges as the breed that most commonly bites. A number of judges have some pretty nasty scars as a result of Mini Lop bites. We recently cared for a friends Mini Lops (she has nearly 20) - most of the cages sported signs declaring, "I bite".

That said, I would go for a non-show type Holland lop with a low head mount. Some people refer to the Hollands with high head mounts as having "attack postures", and these particular rabbits are more prone to be high strung and bite.

I would highly advise adopting an adult rabbit.

Pam

I am afraid to adopt an adult rabbit because it will be around children and I am afraid of temperament...what is your experience with this? Thank you for the advice about the mini lops and the head mount thing..I would have never known. I will be sure to ask about this...are their pictures somewhere online that would help me judge for myself so I know what to look for when searching for a bunny?

If you go through a rescue, you should be able to meet the rabbits and spend time with them. You can pick a rabbit that is friendly and you have a connection with. It is a bit easier to see if they are aggressive or timid when you spend time with them. If you can, interact with the rabbit in it's territory (cage) and neutral territory. Some rabbits behave differently depending on where they are.

Rabbits from breeders tend to be young. It may be friendly when you get it at 8-10 weeks old, but as it get older and the hormones kick in the personality can change.

Basically, with a rescue, you know more of what you are getting as far as personality and temperament goes. The people at the rescue will have spent time with the rabbits and can give you info on what it is like. Not all breeder spend that kind of time to learn about each rabbit before the rabbit is sold.

You may be able to find one that has been around children too in a rescue. That would be wonderful. I think, if I don't get another Flemmie from Tony's breeder, that I will adopt from a rescue as they know much more than others about the buns in their care and have all vet work done already. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Hi!
I have two Mini Hollands...I LOVE them! They are known for having good demeanors.
There are about 4-5 pounds.

PS If you were thinking of litter training so your bun can be free range, they were both super easy to train!

Thank you for all the info...I'm going to look at the fair Tuesday, I couldn't find any rescues anywhere near me. But if I don't find one at the fair, I will look into driving the 4 hours lol :)

nikki8jean wrote:
Does anyone know of any rescues in NE ohio?
I'm not familiar enough with Ohio to know what qualifies as "northeast", but I'd check with Buckeye House Rabbit Society http://www.ohare.org/

I know a number of people who have adopted from them. If they're not close enough to you, I'd bet they'll know who is.

Latest posts

Back