New to rabbits..Ike suddenly died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajstroh23

Reaction score
My teenage daughter got 2 rabbits 3 weeks ago. We named them Moonlight & Coco. Coco was very sweet and loved to cuddle. We found her dead this morning snd we are just crushed. She did seem to be calmer the last few days, but she was eating and hopping around the night before she died. We are just crushed and feel like we did something wrong. The other rabbit Moonlight is fine. She is a very busy rabbit and loves to jump around and play. We had her out a llot today & she is acting the same as always.

So so sorry for your loss 😔. How old are your buns and where did you get them? Some shop bunnies are weaned from their mums too early, which means they don’t build up the same immunity, so she may have had underlying issues already which you could not have done anything about.

Best wishes to you all and Moonlight. Binky free little Coco 🌈

Awe I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope your daughter and your other bunny (and yourself) are okay.

There are so many things that can go wrong with bunnies, and they often happen quickly, seemingly without many symptoms.

Where did they live? How cold was it last night? Did they have full access to a ton of hay? As HalaBuns said, depending on where you got them from that could factor in as well.

binky free coco <3

Thank you. We made sure they had hay at all times. They live in my daughter’s room. We got a large cage, but made sure to take them out daily to roam around. We noticed the one started hiding more, but that was only for about a day. Then she was out all the time. I am wondering if she had a health issue we were not are of. We got them both for a pet store. I have been reading a lot and realize she could have been sick and hiding it. Maybe she was not eating enough hay and we did not realize. Will be sure to be on the lookout for a change in behavior in Moonlighf. We just thought Coco calmed down because she was more used to being at our house. The one rabbit has always been more hyper. When I put her in her cage Monday night She was eating hay. We were giving her some greens and veggies too. Being new to rebbit ownership I am worried we may have changed her diet to quickly, but we have fed the other rabbit the same things and she is okay. We only had her a few weeks, but we’re really attached and I feel so bad that she died.

I have a pet rabbit called pablo and yesterday he was acting unusual he wasn’t his self he had the sniffles and bogey all blocked in his nose.Today I woke up and was hugging him his eyes where half way shut.We went out for two hours and we came back and he was stretched out dead his eyes where closed I was deceased I was crying so much it was horrible I said my good byes and kissed him we rapped him up in a towel and put him in a box after we checked on him and he was rock hard . Rip little buddy❤️

Attachments

• 320D9E67-ACF9-4008-AE00-BB94D316C7A9.jpeg
    320D9E67-ACF9-4008-AE00-BB94D316C7A9.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 11
Condolences to you 💔
How heart breaking that must have been.
I send you healing vibes to help you through your sorrow 💙

I have a pet rabbit called pablo and yesterday he was acting unusual he wasn’t his self he had the sniffles and bogey all blocked in his nose.Today I woke up and was hugging him his eyes where half way shut.We went out for two hours and we came back and he was stretched out dead his eyes where closed I was deceased I was crying so much it was horrible I said my good byes and kissed him we rapped him up in a towel and put him in a box after we checked on him and he was rock hard . Rip little buddy❤

Ohhhh sweet sweet boy-so feel for you. Our girl Scarlett died last week- it was so sudden. So sad xxx

Ohhhh sweet sweet boy-so feel for you. Our girl Scarlett died last week- it was so sudden. So sad xxx
I’m sorry to hear this too! It’s so upsetting and such a shock we keep thinking what it could have been but could have litrally been anything xx

I’m sorry to hear this too! It’s so upsetting and such a shock we keep thinking what it could have been but could have litrally been anything xx
oh God yes- same here. i keep thinking was it the pear i gave them as i gave a big piece- something i don't normally do. Then i thought i had ignored that their water bowl hadn't been drunk from as much for a few days..i can't think about it now as i feel so sad. Precious wee things. I am super aware of what i am feeding our boy bunny now- less pellets and more hay. He had gut stasis a few years ago and made it through but it took him weeks to get back to normal- it was so stressful- He has always been our precious man and girl bunny was always the ravenous tough bunny. I never expected this, Take care xx

oh God yes- same here. i keep thinking was it the pear i gave them as i gave a big piece- something i don't normally do. Then i thought i had ignored that their water bowl hadn't been drunk from as much for a few days..i can't think about it now as i feel so sad. Precious wee things. I am super aware of what i am feeding our boy bunny now- less pellets and more hay. He had gut stasis a few years ago and made it through but it took him weeks to get back to normal- it was so stressful- He has always been our precious man and girl bunny was always the ravenous tough bunny. I never expected this, Take care xx
I’m so sorry to hear this, I’m sure wasn’t your pear or anything you have done,vets said it’s so common for unexpected deaths linked to rabbits which really took me back but at least they had a wonderful life and was so loved some rabbits are brought up in such horrid conditions so they left this world at least they were happy ,take care every day will get a bit better x

I have a grave in my back garden for Pablo it is decorated and it is so colour full I miss him so so so so much my sweet little boy I am only 9 years old and it is horrible

I'm a first time bunny mom.
Being in this group I have learned so much about Rabbit care.
But also, have learned that feeding and caring for a Rabbit, something still can go wrong and the bunny passes. To us we think it was something we must have done.
But, not knowing the bunnys health history, anything could have caused the unexpected passing of your bunny.
Put all your energy into Coco and do your best to help him/her grow to a good old age.

I have a grave in my back garden for Pablo it is decorated and it is so colour full I miss him so so so so much my sweet little boy I am only 9 years old and it is horrible
Hugs to you..i am missing our special little girl Scarlett too. It seems they can have very short lives sometimes and die very suddenly which is so sad for us. I know that our bunny had a great and happy life and Pablo did too. His resting place sounds beautiful. xoxo

Latest posts

Back