New to pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyclare

Reaction score
My rabbit may be pregnant im new to this if she is what can I use as a nesting box please and any advise regarding best foods she should be eating etc

The best nesting box is one made for rabbits, either metal or wood. In cool weather we prefer the wood ones that have a partial top. In a pinch, you can use a cardboard box or litter box.
As to food, you don’t need to feed her anything different right now. Does she get pellets?

This is a good nesting box, it works well in most weathers. You want to get one that is small enough where the babies will not wander away from each other, but big enough for mama to turn around in (as she will do this when nursing). Although you can make a nesting box yourself, I recommend buying as it is simpler for getting started. If you do decide to create one from scratch, make sure no nails or sharp objects are poking through the wood, and that you sand it down thoroughly before assembling. Always sterilize these boxes between uses, too!

Your doe should have natural instincts of what to do, just keep track on the calendar of when she may be due and give her some privacy while checking on her often (ideally via a baby monitor). I normally provide the box 2 - 3 days prior to kindling date. Here is a great source to help you get started, also check out my past posts for more information on this topic! LMK if you have any further questions, I am happy to help.

Thank you very much I've found this very useful 😀 I got her out for a run around today and she got very aggressive when I went to pick her up I've read this is normal ? What do you suggest I do I don't want to upset her by taking her out of her cage but at the same time don't want her to stay in her cadge.

Yes it's fine to give her time out of her cage, just be sensitive around her stomach area when moving her. I recommend using a carrier to transport her in the last bit of the pregnancy. Moodiness is very normal, as you can imagine what her body is going through! Expect her to lunge / grunt at you and not act herself throughout the pregnancy - it's normal! Around 3 days before she is due, I would recommend giving her some privacy and not transporting her to reduce stress. You can leave her in her cage, as she'll be very busy making a nest and need extra rest. Up until then, it is great to give her as much exercise as she wants (it will make the labor easier). Glad I can be of some help!

Shes not the shape of a Dutch she bigger than my Dutch lol plus babies are mixed patterns not full Dutch a mystery

OK! She must definitely have some Dutch in her though. So glad you have healthy babies this time around!

Latest posts

Back