New to list: Question about kits falling out of nest box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanster

Reaction score
Hello! I am so glad to have found this group. I am new to rabbits and breeding, but my daughter and I are very excited. This started as a 4-h project, but now has turned into more showing. We have our second ARBA show this Sat. We are very excited.

We are breeding and showing Himalayans. Our first litter has 5 kits, however, two fell out of the nesting box at two days old and died before we found them. Since then, I have moved the doe's cage indoors so that I can monitor it more closely than I can in the barn. However, since then, I have had problems with the remaining three leaving the nesting box. THey are only one week old today. I have been able to save the other three because I found them in time and was able to warm them up, however what can I do to prevent this from continuing? Any ideas? I found another one on the cage floor this morning.

Thanks for your help.

joanster wrote:
Hello! I am so glad to have found this group. I am new to rabbits and breeding, but my daughter and I are very excited. This started as a 4-h project, but now has turned into more showing. We have our second ARBA show this Sat. We are very excited.

We are breeding and showing Himalayans. Our first litter has 5 kits, however, two fell out of the nesting box at two days old and died before we found them. Since then, I have moved the doe's cage indoors so that I can monitor it more closely than I can in the barn. However, since then, I have had problems with the remaining three leaving the nesting box. THey are only one week old today. I have been able to save the other three because I found them in time and was able to warm them up, however what can I do to prevent this from continuing? Any ideas? I found another one on the cage floor this morning.

Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure I have any suggestions but I'm guessing that they're falling out when mama jumps out of the box after nursing them and they're still attached to the nipple. The only thing I can suggest is checking the cage every hour or so in the mornings and evenings...maybe someone else has better ideas!

Peg

Have you ever had problems with this or am I maybe doing something wrong?

I have only had this problem when there is to much nesting material in the nest box.I try to keep the front of the box where they go in and out kind of cleaned out.Then if one does hold on to mom it gets knocked off when she exits and then it crawls back in with the other kits.

I am using a wooden nesting box with high sides and a low front, but the front still is high. I took out some of the bedding thinking that was the problem and then today I found another one outside the box.

One thing that was suggested is that some breeders will actually take the nesting box inside and only bring it to the doe twice a day to feed the babies. Has anyone tried this?

joanster wrote:
I am using a wooden nesting box with high sides and a low front, but the front still is high. I took out some of the bedding thinking that was the problem and then today I found another one outside the box.

One thing that was suggested is that some breeders will actually take the nesting box inside and only bring it to the doe twice a day to feed the babies. Has anyone tried this?
Yep. I used to do it all the time because I had some nervous does. It was wonderful - but now I try to leave my babies with the does if the does will allow it (some will try to tip the nestbox over if they're a first time mama).

Peg

I am now down to two kits.. THe peanut died yesterday. He was so cute. I was really hoping he would make it. :sad:

You said the nestbox has a front but does it have a slat that goes across the front...then another slat that slants back? It's hard to describe, but usually that slat will prevent them from crawling out...or holding onto Mom and falling out.

This was the only pic of one of mine I could find.

zoeysnestbox.jpg

Sorry...maybe I did something wrong?

The other picture wasnt very good anyway. I went and took another one for you. Notice how the front slants back...I've *very seldom* had a baby escape from these nest boxes. Excuse the mess...this happens to be the nestbox from my latest litter and although I've cleaned the hay and pine pellets out....I havent washed it yet.

100_0579_2.jpg

100_0580_2.jpg

Edit:photo size.

Hubby and I made them. I dont know where you would purchase any like the ones we make here...I tried bunnyrabbit.com and they dont have them. Theirs are just like mine without the piece across the front. If you'd rather not make them...you could buy the wood ones...and add the extra piece yourself.

Latest posts

Back