New to forum and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymebe73

Reaction score
I'm from Guelph, Ontario and am in the process of getting our very first Holland Lop! She was born in April and won't be ready to join our family till June 1st. We already have guinea pigs which will be kept separately from the bun. Just wondering on their diet? I know they are to have hay, pellets, some veg, what types of veggies are good to give, how much do I give? Also, need chew toys, already have a cage, it has a loft with a ramp, is that something bunnies like or do they prefer one level? Should the cage be closed or can I leave the top off?
sorry for all the questions, just making sure I am as prepared as I can be before she arrives!

:wave: Welcome to Rabbits Online! :)

There are two really good threads about diet in the Nutrition & Behaviour forum:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f40/all-about-rabbit-diets-51597/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f40/quick-list-rabbit-safe-foods-library-copy-74122/

As an example here is what my buns eat each day
(I feed this to them together, so this is for 2x buns together):
  • 1/2 scoop of pellets, either in 1 or 2 servings
  • Unlimited hay (fed them a mix of grass and alfalfa hay from 2-6 months, now just grass hay)
  • Approx 2 cups of packed greens per day

For greens you can get a good idea from the above threads, but my bunnies favourites are cilantro, basil, and spinach. :)

A loft with a ramp should be good! Bunnies are fine with multi-storey cages, and it's a good idea to have a pen (or a free roam area) to let them out during the day. I only close their cage when I'm away and no one can watch them.

Unlimited hay and pellets for baby bunnies is usually what is recommended, although if they aren't eating enough hay, you might have to limit the pellets. You can introduce fresh greens at about 3-4 months old. Start with very small amounts and watch for any signs of gas or soft poops. Slowly increase if they are tolerating it well. Basically, any dark green leafy things are good. Mine like dandelion leaves, parsley, red or green leaf lettuce, kale (not too much because it can cause bladder sludge), and romaine lettuce (watch for gas).

Your rabbit will probably like the ramp and loft. If it's similar to a cage I used for my bunnies when they were babies, they also like to hide under the loft. Rabbits can jump high so I think you ought to close the top.

Well, she's been with us for about a week now and we are totally in love!! she is the cutest thing and we know she's happy cause she's jumping so much...I think there's a term for that but not sure?
Here she is, Sparkles:

IMG_2549.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Sparkles!:balloons:

When the do those happy jumps, it's called a binky. Their joy is contagious!

Latest posts

Back