New to BunMomdom, Mildly Panicking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnaboris

Reaction score
I brought an 8 week old Holland Lop home yesterday and he ate and pooped fine, explored his surroundings, and even did a little sploot.
Today hasn't been as successful. He has picked at his pellets and eaten hay in small amounts and there's a small amount of poop in his litter box and some urine but nothing to write home about. He doesn't seem to be grinding his teeth in pain or hunched over in a way that would indicate stasis. Could it simply be the excitement of new digs wearing off and the realization of "Oh mylanta, I'm no longer in Kansas" settling in? I've tried to keep my interaction with him to a minimum but I have admittedly tried to direct him to the litter box and he did pick at some hay when I did then went back into his hidey house after two minutes, where he's mostly stayed.

Is this normal? Should I just give him space or should I work myself up and get home to a vet? I already love him so much, I don't want to mess this up. Any advice from people with experience is sorely appreciated.

(Aforementioned Sploot for cuteness, who wouldn't want to make sure this lil angel was living his best life?)

Attachments

• 11FCD941-F433-4442-A2B7-7E4A0BA2E7D9.jpeg
    11FCD941-F433-4442-A2B7-7E4A0BA2E7D9.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 17
Was his food changed at all, from what he was getting at his previous home? This includes different type and brand of pellets, different amounts, different type of hay, feeding any new foods like veggies, greens, or treats? Is his poop smaller now than when you first brought him home.

How does he react when your around? Does he come up to you and seem curious and want to interact with you, or does he seem skittish or nervous with you around, and more relaxed when by himself?

Was his food changed at all, from what he was getting at his previous home? This includes different type and brand of pellets, different amounts, different type of hay, feeding any new foods like veggies, greens, or treats? Is his poop smaller now than when you first brought him home.

How does he react when your around? Does he come up to you and seem curious and want to interact with you, or does he seem skittish or nervous with you around, and more relaxed when by himself?
He's definitely more relaxed when he's on his own. I have the same hay brand and the transition pellets that were given to him, I haven't introduced a new brand just yet. I think my being in the room with him stresses him out because as soon as i left, bam. Litter box, eating his hay!

Attachments

• 636B09DC-6A2D-4B4E-A980-A37C07309932.png
    636B09DC-6A2D-4B4E-A980-A37C07309932.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Perfect! Yeah, some buns need a little more time and space to settle in. I would just give him space for a couple days, so he can get used to his new environment, and only do the essentials and maybe peak in on him a few times to make sure he's ok. He's a newly weaned baby, so this is all new and a bit stressful for him, being separated from mom and maybe some siblings, and being in a completely new environment. You just want to minimize any additional stressors, as an overly stressed baby bun, is prone to developing serious digestive upset. So it's something to be very aware of and try to prevent.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html
2 days settling in period, is just a starter. Some buns can take much longer to adapt to a new environment. So if he still seems to be nervous after that, I would give him a few more days, then start spending a few hours each day just sitting next to his pen while you're on your phone, tablet, etc, so he can get used to your presence not meaning anything threatening. Then gradually as he feels more comfortable with you around, you can sit with him in his pen while you read, etc, to have bonding time with him and build that trust with him.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

I would agree and also think it's the stress. New place, new people, new time schedule, etc. Likely nothing to be to worried about and just monitor it and likely all should be well. For his litter box I would try adding a layer of hay as rabbits like to eat and pee/poop in the same area at the same time. They know not to eat soiled hay, a lot of people add a hay box or rack above their buns litter box as well. You are doing it right otherwise, i always say this and stand by it, "slow and steady wins the race." These are prey animals and can take time to warm up to people. Mine still doesn't like to be picked up haha. So don't feel to stressed or worried :)

Latest posts

Back