New to breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lichanura

Reaction score
Hello: I am very new to breeding rabbbits. I just bought 1.2 New Zealand rabbits. My question, when breeding do you leave the male with the female the entire time? I breed mice and I leave the male with the females at all times and have no problems. Thanks for your help-Dave

Hi Dave. Unfortunately rabbits aren't quite as easy to breed as mice. (I used to breed them for pets - aren't they fun?). The doe will sometimes attack the buck, especially if you put the buck in her cage. They are territorial. Best to put the doe in the bucks cage. Watching them to be sure the doe is bred is the best way. Some people leave them together for a bit but more than 20 minutes isn't recommended. Remove the doe after the buck has gotten her a few times. You should see the buck fall sideways off of the doe - then you KNOW he got her. Good luck!

Spitfire: Thank you very much. Since you say that they are territorial, then that means I have to have a cage for each female also. Thank you very much for answering my question. Dave

lichanura wrote:
Spitfire: Thank you very much. Since you say that they are territorial, then that means I have to have a cage for each female also. Thank you very much for answering my question. Dave
Yes, each female will need her own cage - and she'll need a nestbox when the time comes to have babies.

I leave the doe with the buck long enough to have him fall off a minimum of 3 times. Oftentimes I will take the doe back to the buck 8 hours later. I do the 3-time minimum on the mating bceause I want a larger number of babies so they will be smaller and not get stuck when being born. (Another lionhead breeder taught me this).

Are you going to be breeding for pets or meat rabbits or what? Just curious....

Peg

Tinysmom: Thank you for the response. The last two responses have been most helpful. Definitely not like breeding mice and rats.

I am a biology teacher and thought that I would breed and raise some rabbits to teach students some responsibility and have some fun for myself. I am not sure what I am going to do with a bunch ofbunnies but maybe help supply our local feed store. I have been doing business with the store owner for over twenty years and he said that he would buy the bunnies from me. So, that could help pay for the feed. I wanted smaller rabbits but my ignorance went with the cute ones and I ended up with a large breed. I understand that this breed is used for human consumption. Dave

Ok Dave - btw - I wasn't trying to criticize at all - just curious since most NZ breeders tend to breed for the meat market (or for show).

Did you notice our thread at the top of the rabbitry forum area? Here is a link to it - well worth reading!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=8

Don't forget that rabbits are good for 4-H projects also and many many times - students raise NZ rabbits for competition...so you may have a market there.

I think it is great that you want to teach students some responsibility - hopefully they'll also learn a love for the rabbits themselves! I know my twins are away at college and coming home next week and both of them aremissing our rabbits (almost as much as they miss the home cooking!).

Peg

You're welcome:)
Personally, I liked breeding mice more! I loved being able to leave dad in there and while momma mouse was in labor, Dad would help her by pretending to nurse the babies. Man that was cute!!!
New Zealand's may be big but they make wonderful pets - good luck:)

Bumping this topic to see how its going and if any other questions have come up!

Peg

Latest posts

Back