New to breeding. Please help me colour Gene's...soo confused

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my mini lop doe gave birth yesterday to 7 healthy kits. All doing amazing so far including my doe.

We rehomed our rabbits from someone who apparently bonded the doe with her netherland dwarf which has resulted in a litter of 7.

Cookie our doe is a mini lop which I will attach a photo of and the sire is the netherland dwarf who I will also attach a photo of including the kits.

However I'm trying to learn about colour Gene's and to know what colour they're going to turn out to be but I am so confused by it all.
Could anyone be able to help indicate what colour you would say my doe is as well as the sire to the kits and any opinions on what colours you think the kits will turn out to be would be great too!!

Thanks in advance xxreceived_2312462535739662.jpeg

Your lop is a white eared black(probably has the vienna gene too, with that clear and distinct of a stripe on the head). The dwarf is a black otter (maybe black fox but that doesn't likely make too much difference in babies unless mother also carries gene for fox/chinchilla). The most possible colors for the kits (assuming the otter carries self, which he does looking at the babies from your other post) are white eared black otter, black otter, white eared black and black with possibly about half of them having a chance at being vienna marked.

White ear is dominant to normal, and your doe only has one copy of the gene (white ears with two copies have much lighter color than her). Otter is dominant to black as well. Because both of these are dominant but heterozygous, each kit has a 50% chance of getting each trait. (so 25% chance for each of those 4 colors, before we consider any of them have less common recessive colors).

Looking at the picture: the 3 circled in red are definitely white ears. They'll likely end up with about the same markings as the mother. However, I can't tell from this picture if theyre white eared black or white eared black otter; normally we tell from the ears but their ears don't show color so you have to look at the belly: A pink belly = white eared black otter. A solid colored belly, same color as back = white eared black. The one circled in blue is maybe vienna marked, maybe white ear. Can't tell too well when its half buried. Same thing on the black vs otter. The two that aren't circled are solid black. The last is one is a different color, it's hard to tell - individual pictures of that kit would help me get a better idea. It has some form of dilution
5tqGnk9.png

Last edited:
Your lop is a white eared black(probably has the vienna gene too, with that clear and distinct of a stripe on the head). The dwarf is a black otter (maybe black fox but that doesn't likely make too much difference in babies unless mother also carries gene for fox/chinchilla). The most possible colors for the kits (assuming the otter carries self, which he does looking at the babies from your other post) are white eared black otter, black otter, white eared black and black with possibly about half of them having a chance at being vienna marked.

White ear is dominant to normal, and your doe only has one copy of the gene (white ears with two copies have much lighter color than her). Otter is dominant to black as well. Because both of these are dominant but heterozygous, each kit has a 50% chance of getting each trait. (so 25% chance for each of those 4 colors, before we consider any of them have less common recessive colors).

Looking at the picture: the 3 circled in red are definitely white ears. They'll likely end up with about the same markings as the mother. However, I can't tell from this picture if theyre white eared black or white eared black otter; normally we tell from the ears but their ears don't show color so you have to look at the belly: A pink belly = white eared black otter. A solid colored belly, same color as back = white eared black. The one circled in blue is maybe vienna marked, maybe white ear. Can't tell too well when its half buried. Same thing on the black vs otter. The two that aren't circled are solid black. The last is one is a different color, it's hard to tell - individual pictures of that kit would help me get a better idea. It has some form of dilution
5tqGnk9.png

Wow thankyou so much for all your fantastic info. It fascinates me how in depth it all is and I'm really enjoying learning more every day. I'd be happy post a picture of the lighter one for you hopefully it will be clearer for you. Thankyou again for all your help xx

5tqGnk9.png

20190514_155813.jpg

5tqGnk9.png

Attachments

• 20190514_191115.jpg
    20190514_191115.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 9
Great explanation Sable Steel! Following along to learn more too, as I know nothing about rabbit genes. I do breed other types of animals though and find Mendelian genetics so fascinating. On that note, I'm ecstatic to know that rabbit fanciers use the same genetic terminology as the species I'm most familiar with do. I've found that each animal group and the breeders within that group often have their own terminology for the same things which makes learning so much harder!

5tqGnk9.png
Wow that's impressive! I've got a related question for you here.

My Smokey is fully bluish-gray but both her parents were white all covered with black spots so broken black.
They had four kits, two black and Smokey, not sure about the first one maybe was like parents.

About a month ago Smokey lost lots of fur with those pregnancies and I've discovered that her skin is all spotted under her fur, I've checked everywhere looks like when she was born she looked like white with lots of black spots like her parents. That's interesting how newborn kits can change, or this is very unusual?

That's very common when they're growing in new coats and have had patches missing (such as after nesting). The skin turns dark when it starts growing new fur but should be lighter with a mature coat.

So my mini lop doe gave birth yesterday to 7 healthy kits. All doing amazing so far including my doe.

We rehomed our rabbits from someone who apparently bonded the doe with her netherland dwarf which has resulted in a litter of 7.

Cookie our doe is a mini lop which I will attach a photo of and the sire is the netherland dwarf who I will also attach a photo of including the kits.

However I'm trying to learn about colour Gene's and to know what colour they're going to turn out to be but I am so confused by it all.
Could anyone be able to help indicate what colour you would say my doe is as well as the sire to the kits and any opinions on what colours you think the kits will turn out to be would be great too!!

Thanks in advance xxView attachment 40827

The netherland is a black otter and the lop looks like a black with the vienna gene. It’s hard to tell the lops colour though without seeing her whole body.
Some of the kits have the vienna gene as well (the white triangle on the head)
It’s hard to know their colours just yet as they are young and the mom has an odd colouring. I’m sure it will be easier to tell once they grow some more fur.
Good Luck :)

Latest posts

Back