New To Breeding, Babies In 7 Days!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new, I have two bunnies, said both to be boys, got them from different places and differnt times only to find out we had a girl when we found a litter of dead babies. We couldn't find a place to nueter him and she had one more litter that died, they were sperated at that time and she is preg again and we found a place o get the male nuetered. She is moved into the house from the garage this time and has a nest box that the babies can not get out of. She is getting a carrot every night and is on a high protien feed. What else to I need to do to get ready?

Thanks

Hi and welcome,

Your doe will need hay in the box if you haven't already.:)Other than that, sounds good. Limit the fresh foods (small bits) so she doesn't get diarrhea, etc. Just keep an eye on things if she's lost (killed??) two litters already. I had a doe like that--she finally kept two litters, but miscarried or killed the rest--so if you know it's a problem, just watch and make sure she's doing what she should. She'll feed once or twice a day for about 5 min., and will stay out of the nest after that. She should pull fur and make a nest, sometimes not untilright before kindling. The babies should be fully covered in mum's fur and bellies should be round and full. You'll see the nest moving and hear little squeaks.

Good luck! :)

Rose

Thanks!

The first litter we had no idea about and she was still in with the male and the second one the babies crawled out of the nest and she did not bring them back in. She is inside while the male is still in the barn and the nest has an edge on it.

DustyBegginings wrote:
Thanks!

The first litter we had no idea about and she was still in with the male and the second one the babies crawled out of the nest and she did not bring them back in. She is inside while the male is still in the barn and the nest has an edge on it.
Unlike Dogs & Cats, Rabbits are unable to carry their young. In order for the babies to survive, YOU must pick them up and put them back in the nest together.

... Just an FYI for this time around. ;)

Thanks guys, we have to box built, my dad added a A frame roof :?lol

The edge is a little to low so I will have to add somthing to it to keep her in.

I put some ceder shavings in the box, it that alright?

She is due in 5 days, I am scared that none will make it :(

DustyBegginings wrote:
Thanks guys, we have to box built, my dad added a A frame roof :?lol

The edge is a little to low so I will have to add somthing to it to keep her in.

I put some ceder shavings in the box, it that alright?

She is due in 5 days, I am scared that none will make it :(
I would not use cedar at all due to the aroma that they can generate when there is urine. I use hay in mine....although there is bedding you can buy also at some places - but I find that my does prefer hay.

But I wouldn't use anything with cedar or pine or anything like that.

Peg

Basically, as long as they stay in the nest and mom feeds them (which I'm sure will not be a problem as long as they're all together in the nest this time)... then all will be okay.

Just be sure once they're born to check on them daily (yes, actually uncover them and touch them) to make sure none have died in the nest... this can make the other healthy ones very sick and they too can die.

As long as you don't disturb the mother too much... she will not mind you checking on the babies. She might even come up to you and watch you checking them - just talk calmly to her and pet her to asure her that everything is okay. She will not kill the babies if you touch them... 99.99% of the time all will be well.

I usually give mama a treat when I'm checking on the babies....maybe a baby carrot or some fresh hay or something like that - one of my mamas now practically begs me to come check on her babies (and has tried to push the nest box to the door for me) because she looks forward to the treat she'll get.

Peg

Thanks, I have ceder in there right now but I will dump it today. I have plenty of hay from my horses that I can put in there. I am worried about space right now, the cage is only 2ft by 4ft we might add somthing on to it when they are a week or so old.

I am glad we got the mom inside, we are having a snow storm right now!

DustyBegginings wrote:
I am worried about space right now, the cage is only 2ft by 4ft we might add somthing on to it when they are a week or so old.

I'm sorry to ask but I forget....what breed is your rabbit and how big is the nestbox?

I ask this because I raise lionheads and my does successfully raise their litters in cages smaller than what you listed. Also- and this is just my opinion - I wouldn't mess with the cage (changing it) until the babies are at least out of the nestbox....mainly because I wouldn't want to bother the mom and make her nervous or concerned.

I'm sitting here looking into my rabbitry right now. One of my mamas is laying beside her nestbox....doing just fine. Every once in a while I've seen her peek in at them...(she is one of my mamas that is the most posessive).

Anyway - that's just my thoughts - but others may disagree...

Peg

My Mini Rex successfully raise litters of up to 6 or 7 kits in a 24" x 24" cage. They do just fine... besides, no matter how much room is provided, you'll find that the babies would much rather just sit/lay on momma's back instead. :)

I agree though... don't make sudden changes to the cage until the babies are fully out of the nestbox.

My rabbit is a pet store breed, I have not taken the time to find out what she is because it does not matter to me. She is pretty big size, not a mini but not a giant. THe nest box is about 1ft by 1ft

Latest posts

Back