New situation resulting in fighting! Please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubell90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have three pet rabbits, Henry and Ellie - litter brother and sister, Netherland Dwarves, both fixed and Charles, a native baby wild rabbit to New Zealand i needed to rescue very short notice.
Weve recently all moved to a very rural part of town (farm out the back) and just a general upheaval.
Both H&E are cage trained and sleep indoors at night with full run of the bedroom and outdoors during the day, after the move they did the usual poop every where, investigate everything then settled.
Until today.
I came home as usual and then noticed a wild rabbit hopping around their hutch, at first i thought “oh cute! Friend!”
No no no
After a couple back and forths, it was H&E at each other, fur flying - everything! I even spotted some blood on Henrys paw (unsure whos)
They both got taken straight inside and checked over, stern words then into their indoor cage. They acting normal, cleaning each others ears, full lying down beside each other etc.
But is this going to happen every time i put them outside and a wild rabbit comes over? Theres a whole colony over the back fence and i work at least 30 mins away, 10 hours a day so im not always on hand to break this sort of thing up!

It might happen every time.
This is why its so difficult to bond 3 rabbits together. A new bun can set everything off.
You may need to create a massive rabbit proof perimiter so the wild buns cant come anywhere near them.

Have you vaccinated your buns?

Yup H&E are vaccinated, Charles isnt since hes still a baby and way too young but he doesnt go outside yet for that reason
Yikes - so every wild bun is possible?! This one had its tail right up and was almost ‘show off’ hopping and then doing a melodramatic dig? Is this some sort of aggresive thing?

Latest posts

Back