New REW Holland Lop Buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very neat Peg. I call it a winning situation when I learn something new and this thread has done that. BTW- did you have a looksee at my new Lionhead baby? He sure is a cutie! But my God- I haven't owned a male that has 'everything' still in place before! If he were of the human species- I'd say he'd be mighty proud! :p

I'll need to go look at your new baby....I haven't been reading as much lately.

The funny thing is - I bred lionheads (which are one of my favorite breeds) but I have to admit - my heart breed is flemmies....which I may actually breed someday...years from now...when my numbers go down.

Lionheads to me though are like little kids sometimes...so mischievious.

Lol- thats why I have 2 lionheads now and my big calm Flemmie boy. Have you seen him yet? He is a doll. I can't say enough good things about him. My lionheads entertain me and he is my cuddly sweet big boy.. The best of both worlds with these 2 breeds.

Don't mean to jump in the boat so late, but I agree with Peg and Janet on everything they've said.

I could tell right away from the 3rd picture of your boy that he probably isn't very good quality...just by the way he's sitting in that picture - and I don't even breed/never owned a Holland Lop ;)

Breeding shouldn't be about "seeing what happens". You say you're serious about breeding English/French Angoras, so why can't you be serious about breeding Hollands and get stock meant for Brood/Show that will give you better quality babies then what you'd get with the buck you currently have?

I agree with Erin on the colour thing. You shouldn't breed just because you "like his colour". There are tons more rabbits out there with the same colour and better type.

I breed purebred show/brood quality Mini Rex. The last litter we had has 4babies - 2 does, 2 bucks. 1 buck is pet quality. You would think that's really great that only one out of a litter like that is pet quality, but it does make you upset that you have a pet quality rabbit in a litter you want for show/brood.

When you're breeding for show/brood quality, chances are you'll get more show/brood quality, but even the pet quality one makes you realize you need to up your game and add that little something that's missing to make it better. There should be no reason for breeding pet quality; of course there's the pet quality rabbitsyou're going to get out of your litter, but as long as your breeding to better the breed, you'll have better luck getting those great show/brood quality rabbits.

Just my $.2 worth.

And btw, Jackie, I really think you should stay. People may make you angry, but they're just trying to look out for your rabbits and help you make the right decisions. You will learn so much here and really be able to do well with your rabbits. I can't make this decision for you, but I hope you do think it over.

You may have been breeding for 4 years, but amount of time doesn't matter when it comes to things like this. I've been breeding for 4 years too, and I'm still learning new things all the time, especially like choosing better stock, and producing better stock. Even breeders who've been breeding for longer sometimes don't pick the best stock, or the best choices, or produce the best stock. You have to learn how to do these things, and you can only do that with others' help.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
And btw, Jackie, I really think you should stay. People may make you angry, but they're just trying to look out for your rabbits and help you make the right decisions. You will learn so much here and really be able to do well with your rabbits. I can't make this decision for you, but I hope you do think it over.
You may have been breeding for 4 years, but amount of time doesn't matter when it comes to things like this. I've been breeding for 4 years too, and I'm still learning new things all the time, especially like choosing better stock, and producing better stock. Even breeders who've been breeding for longer sometimes don't pick the best stock, or the best choices, or produce the best stock. You have to learn how to do these things, and you can only do that with others' help.

Emily
Great final post, Emily... let's all take some time now to breathe and contemplate the discussion:)

Latest posts

Back