New REW Holland Lop Buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBirchRabbitry

Reaction score
This is Cadbury, he is a 7 week old Holland Lop. I don't really know how to judge Holland's. So I thought I would post a few pics :] I cannot pose Hollands lol So work with me here. My 4H leader bought him at an auction in hopes that him in and the rest of his litter was does. But only one actually was. So she told me since I love REW Hollands so she gave him to me :)

Justlet me know if you think he would be a good "show" bunny or a nice breeding buck.

Here are the pics which took forever to upload lol :p

2eyvn2b.jpg

2iiip21.jpg

15cj5ox.jpg

I don't know what it is but I've always loved white rabbits. I think they are soo pretty (if clean). I've seen some that are almost yellow everywhere which looks horrible. Poor bunnies.
Your little guy is just adorable and I'm sure when older will be gorgeous! Plus I just love little lop faces! I think they remind me of cute puppy dogs (hound dogs) with their long ears and somewhat sad faces. Awwww... who can say that isn't cute?

Based on a show evaluation, he is not very well typed. He has a narrower head, very slipped crown, and longer, folded ears. He also looks narrow in the shoulder, a bit hippy, and pinched in the hindquarter. Because Holland Lops are so well developed and competitive already, I don't consider this buck to be breeding or show quality.

He is an adorable bunny though and I bet he'd make a fantastic pet- he looks so sweet! If you want to show him, maybe you can work with him on showmanship too. :)

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
Thanks OakRidgeRabbits :) He is only 7 weeks though, you don't think he needs more time to "grow"?

Well, 7 weeks can be an awkward stage. So it is very possible that he will balance himself a little more as he matures. For example, his ears will still be on the long side, but they may not look as long when he's grown into himself.

However, growing up doesn't fix things like a slipped crown, narrowness, or pinched hindquarters. These are faults in body structure.

When breeding Hollands, you generally want the nicest buck you can find. You can give a bit on does, because sometimes even the most broody does make the best show babies. But generally if you use so-so bucks, you'll get so-so babies.:(

Also I will post pics of Tessa & Firefly my other 2 Hollands :) Just too see what everyone thinks :)

Alright thanks OakRidge! Atleast you know what you are talking about lol Do you think he could still be shown? Even if he doesn't do that great lol

P.S. Just want to point out that my evaluation is ONLY based on body type, based on the ARBA standard. I don't mean to talk down your new baby! He looks like a nice, loveable bunny! My comments are only on type. ;)

ETA: Yes, as long as he has no DQ's, he can still be shown.:)

That is fine lol I asked for opinions on him and his type :] And that is what you gave me! It is good to know what experienced Holland breeders think :)

As far as I can tell he has no DQ's, his toenails are all white, what else should I look for?

You might want to show him once to get an opinion...but I wouldn't waste my money on showing him with those faults. I was waiting and hoping an HL breeder would post. I have had show quality ones but not taken them to shows as they were pets. However I did see what I thought were flaws but wasn't sure.

If you breed him (which I wouldn't do with those flaws) - I'm guessing you will probably only get pet quality rabbits...something to consider when it comes to rehoming them.

How old are your does? Have they had babies before?

Make sure all the toenails are there and that they are all the same color. Check the teeth to make sure that they are all there and aligned properly. Holland Lops have a minimum show weight of 2 lbs. and a max of 4 lbs., so being outside of those weight limits is a DQ. Also, Holland Lops with too much ear control can be a DQ, at the discretion of the judge (this rabbit doesn't have that problem, but just an FYI). Also, the ears may not be more than 1 inch below the chin or they are too long.

So those are some things you want to look for. There are also DQ's based on color, but with a REW, there's not much to worry about!

Is this guy pedigreed? If not, you won't want to breed him to any color other than selfs unless you know what he's out of (which is how a pedigree would help).

Aww what a cutie! And how funny about his name because we have a REW Mini Rex named Cadbury!

I agree that he's especially cute, although not good show type. Because his crown is slipped so far back, it makes his head appear even narrower. His ears are also too long. He's also very weak in the hindquarters. Due to all his faults, I wouldn't use him for breeding.

Pam

You really shouldn't breed a buck with those faults.
If you look hard enough, you can find NICE REWs. They are, admittedly, pretty and cool, but you shouldn't breed based on color, unless the type is there. And it's not. Also, do you have a ped on him? You won't want to bother unless he is. The pet market is small and it is rightfully looked down upon to soley 'see what he throws'.

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
I decided I will not show him, although I do want to breed him to one of my good show does. I love the color REW, they are kind of hard to find around here
I am assuming that you know that genetically ... you can only get REWs if both parents are REW or carry the REW gene (since it is recessive).

Also - I was thinking you said he was from an auction.....they give pedigrees at those? I've never heard of a breeder doing that as they usually don't want their rabbitry name going with the rabbit since it is basically a "culled" rabbit that they don't want in their herd because it isn't show quality or breeding quality.

Latest posts

Back