New Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What breed of rabbit should I get?

• Mini Lop

• Mini Rex

• Netherland Dwarf

• Dwarf Hotot

• Dutch

Results are only viewable after voting.

bearbop

Reaction score
Okay, so I wantto start a new rabbitry and I can't choose a breed and I want to start out with one. then two. I would like to either do

Mini Rex, Mini Lop, Netherland Dwarfs, Dwarf Hotot,Hollands.

I would like to ask some questions

*What supplies do I need?

*how many rabbits is good to start with?

*What breed?

*What to call my rabbitry:)

and everything else/

not a breeder but in my experiance....

what are your purposes to breeding? show or just breeding?

well...netherlands have a very intense genetics with so many colors. try something easy to start off with like dutch? or mini lop? both highly popular breeds and easily attainable.

supplies...holes, barn, crocks, water bottles, nesting boxes, platforms to get their feet off the wire, rabbitry program/book???

herd number-not sure, but you want to find out what colors you want to work with, or color. then find stock you want to work with. cant just get two, breed them. want healthy, showable animals-if you want to show you will need to learn type of the rabbit your working with to know what you want to look for.

if there is someone in your area who deals in a breed you are interested in maybe you can learn under them? go to a show or five and see what you think

What supplies do I need?
cages, feeders, food bowls, water bottles, toys, hay, grooming equipment, a barn, heaters and fans, a record book, tattoo kit.
anything else I missed out.

how many rabbits is good to start with?
Start with one breed, a trio, or 4 does and 1 buck.
Don't keep more rabbits then you can.

What breed?
Holland Lops and Mini Rex are easier to start with, dwarfs drive you to drink because they are so **** hard to breed and are probably not a good breed to start with, trust me Ive been there.

i think everyones covered everything.

Just decide what your purpose is with breeding your rabbits. I chose my breed becasue they had a rap for being so sweet natured. I wanted something that if I couldn't sell as a pet it could go in the freezer...... yet I didn't want something that is 12 pounds as an adult. I also wanted something unique.

We can't decide what you should get breed wise, people here are good telling you if a particular rabbit it worth while.. but you need to def study up on all the breeds and find what YOU like the best. If everyone here told you to start with english angoras, you'd hate yourself in the end lol...... Find what you like and are interested in, and what fits your needs the most.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
i think everyones covered everything.

Just decide what your purpose is with breeding your rabbits. I chose my breed becasue they had a rap for being so sweet natured. I wanted something that if I couldn't sell as a pet it could go in the freezer...... yet I didn't want something that is 12 pounds as an adult. I also wanted something unique.

We can't decide what you should get breed wise, people here are good telling you if a particular rabbit it worth while.. but you need to def study up on all the breeds and find what YOU like the best. If everyone here told you to start with english angoras, you'd hate yourself in the end lol...... Find what you like and are interested in, and what fits your needs the most.
I agree 100% on this right here............Toby

Go with what you enjoy the most :)

I personally don't find the appeal in Mini Lops or Netherland Dwarfs (they are extremely cute...but extremely difficult to breed!), while many other breeders absolutely adore them and really enjoy the breed.
On the other hand, I'm very fond of Dwarf Hotots and Mini Rex but would never breed them myself. I do keep Dutches and hope to find a good buck soon, as my last one failed miserably.

I have to admit, I'm more of a 'standard sized' rabbit person. While lops and rexes are adorable, I much prefer the English Lop and Standard Rex over their smaller counterparts.
Dutch is really the only 'smaller' breed I'm likely ever to keep. I could say "Go with standard rex instead of mini rex!" and you could in fact go with them. Only to find them too large or improper for your rabbitry setup, or you may find that you really prefer the mini's after all.

* The supplies you will need include a shed/barn to keep your bunnies. Depending on your climate try to make sure there is a heater/airconditioner in there. If you live someone where it gets very hot and you cant have an airconditioner a good fan will help a lot. Then you need cages. I started my rabbitry with a 6 stacker KW cage, I only started with three rabbits but trust me, the more time you have the rabbitry the more you will need the extra cages :) Then, you will need food bowls and water bottles. I got them from my petstore. Then get some neccesary supplies, depending on if you want to show or not. I got nail clippers, a good pair of scissors, a rabbit brush, a show table/stand. That is just some basic neccesities. You will pick up more stuff along the rabbitry road ;)

* I started my rabbitry with three, one boy and two girls.

* For a new rabbitry I would have to say Mini rex or mini lop. This is because they are fairly easy and genetically stable, at least Mini Rex are Ive never bred Mini Lop.

*Whatever you want to call it :) I called mine Ace Rabbitry after my first Mini Rex.

Latest posts

Back