New rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckers

Reaction score
I just rescued a little mini lop from our local SPCA. Before they let me take her home, they spayed her--so she would have been spayed on Wednesday. I've been checking her incision since I picked her up on Friday and just noticed a dime sized lump under her skin above the incision. Could this be an abcess and do we need to find an emergency vet tonight?

She's not acting in pain and has eaten everything I've given her. She's been restricted from jumping, but did jump off a her carrier yesterday before I could grab her. Thanks for any help you can give--we've only had her a couple of days but she's already found a place in our hearts.

--Rebecca

I'm really not sure.

I've only had one bunny spayed (more to come with my fosters...), and I know her scar feels lumpy.

Is it where lump at the incision or above it?

Maybe call the SPCA and ask to speak to the vet who spayed her, or see if you can take her in for the vet to check.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

--Dawn

Edited because I didn't proof read, and it made no sense!

Thanks for replying--I've calmed down a bit now. The lump is about an inch above her incision. Because she's acting fine, I think I'd rather go to our normal vet tomorrow, rather than an emergency center that didn't seem overally knowledgeable about rabbits when I talked to them on the phone. It just worries me how big it is when I didn't notice it at all yesterday when I checked her.

That is unless someone else on the board has had this happen and thinks it would be better to go tonight. We've only ever had male pets on our family--dogs, cats, and Floppy, so I've never dealt with a spay before. Also, I will be calling the SPCA, but they're closed until Tuesday and I definitely want to get it looked at before then.

Thanks for your help!
--Rebecca

Frankly, emergency vets can do more harm than good. Best to wait for a bunny-savvy one. As long as she's eating, drinking and pooping, she's not critical.

Hope it turns out to be something simple and easily fixed!

sas et al

I think it's best to go to your regular vet too.

Did they use dissolving stitches? Some animals get minor reactions from them. I hope it's something simple like that!

I just got back from the vet and he thinks its nothing to be worried about. Apparently after a spay, there can be horomone changes which can result in a lump in the breast tissue. So I'm going to keep an eye on it this week and see if it changes any. He didn't think it felt like an abcess, so that's a huge relief.

Everything else, ears, eyes, and teeth checked out fine and he didn't even charge very much, so I'm a happy bunny mom.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Latest posts

Back