New rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashax

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to this forum and just asking for some advice please.
So I have had my female rabbit for 4 months, she is 10 months old, litter trained and good natured, doesn't like to sit on my lap but loves strokes and gives me plenty of bunny kisses.
However I work from home and thought I'd get her a new friend for company and hopefully have a bond with another rabbit as I thought she was lonely. However I brought home a 12 weeks old female mini lop who is chilled, sweet and relaxed ( both in separate cages ). However was cuddling the new bun last night and my rabbit tried to attack her by jumping on her back and tried to bite gather she is now going all over my lounge pooping everywhere. I know she is obviously marking her territory but I don't know what to do and whether this wS a bad advice, any advice is welcome, thanks x

When I bonded my bunnies I kept them in separate cages right next to each other for two weeks and gradually let them have time together, this way they got used to each others smell👌maybe continue with seperate cages and make sure your bunnies are fully bonded? Some bunnies take longer than others too. (Especially females) Attacking isn't good though.
Hope it gets better❤️bunnies love company.

When I bonded my bunnies I kept them in separate cages right next to each other for two weeks and gradually let them have time together, this way they got used to each others smell👌maybe continue with seperate cages and make sure your bunnies are fully bonded? Some bunnies take longer than others too. (Especially females) Attacking isn't good though.
Hope it gets better❤bunnies love company.
Thank you for the advice. I'm getting v my 10 month rabbit neutered on Monday so hopefully she will be fine. Was shocked how her behaviour was though as she isn't an aggressive rabbit with me I'm gonna try as long as I can.

Hope it gets better❤bunnies love company.

Hi, that is a normal behavior for some rabbits . They
Sometimes fight and hump
To work out their dominance.
if you are going to bond them I would put them in a neutral inviorment a place neither have been . A bath tube is a good option. If they fight separate them . Let them hump each other as you want them to figure out their dominance. Depending on the bunny’s it can take a few days or weeks for them to bond . Make sure you separate any fighting . I wouldn’t attempt bonding them until they are desexed. Put a toilet hay and pellets in for them . And just let them Work it out . Hopefully one will submit to the other . But make sure you keep A good eye on them. It can be rough but once they bond it will last a life time . I’ll send you some links on how to properly bond 2 bunny’s . Let me know if you have any questions. It’s hard to explain the whole process by writing .

Hi, that is a normal behavior for some rabbits . They
Sometimes fight and hump
To work out their dominance.
if you are going to bond them I would put them in a neutral inviorment a place neither have been . A bath tube is a good option. If they fight separate them . Let them hump each other as you want them to figure out their dominance. Depending on the bunny’s it can take a few days or weeks for them to bond . Make sure you separate any fighting . I wouldn’t attempt bonding them until they are desexed. Put a toilet hay and pellets in for them . And just let them Work it out . Hopefully one will submit to the other . But make sure you keep A good eye on them. It can be rough but once they bond it will last a life time . I’ll send you some links on how to properly bond 2 bunny’s . Let me know if you have any questions. It’s hard to explain the whole process by writing .
Thank you so much for the info, the new bunny is only 12 weeks old so I don't want my older one dominating her as she is much bigger. I have put their cages next to each other I just feel sorry for little one shes so tiny and I'm getting my 10 month old neutered Monday and thats a start hopefully.

Yes , definitely keep them next to each other to get used to each other for a while . It might be easier to bond them while she’s younger and she isn’t as hormonal. So maybe once she is desexed put them in a neutral inviorment . I stayed with them all day and separated them at night them put them back together in morning. I did this until they stopped fighting . You can also stress bond by putting them in a carrier and going for a drive then coming back and putting them back in a new environment.

They both need to have been spayed for 8 weeks before attempting to bond. I would keep the new bunny in a different room for a few months.

Keep separate, spay both, wait 4-8 weeks for hormones to fade, then I would attempt strictly supervised bonding. Though it's no guarantee they will bond even after being spayed. Rabbits are very particular, and they bond based on the compatibility of their personalities. If you have two very dominant females, chances are they will not bond. For now, you absolutely do not want them to have contact that involves aggression, as you not only risk injury, but also diminish chances of successful bonding later.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Latest posts

Back