New rabbit questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overwrought rabbits

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope I've chosen the right sub forum. I've recently rehomed a 5 month of mini lop. He is honestly amazing and I feel very lucky to have found him. I just have a few questions about behaviour and potential issues I was hoping you could give advice on.

He's a very friendly outgoing chap, and he currently runs around the house while I'm home. I've noticed he'll be running and then do like an erratic looking Juno and then go back to running. Is this because he's been startled?

Also his previous owner says she thinks he might have started to spray, but can only smell it not see it. Unfortunately I don't have any sense of smell, so I'm wondering if anyone can give some hints and tips to look for to clear up any spraying that might occur? I.dont want my house to smell like wee if I can help it!

He is booked in for a vet visit as soon as they could, which is end of march but after that he'll be booked in for vaccinations and neutering :)

Thanks for all your help!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Running and then doing a mid-air spin and jump can be one of two things. One would be simply a happy "binky." That is just a sign of happiness. The other would be that spraying of urine that males are wont to do when they are hormonal. Given his age, that is likely what it is. Often they will do that deliberately on either another rabbit or their human.

Until he's neutered, it will continue. You may want to consider keeping him a bit more confined to limit what he can potentially spray. Whatever he does spray, a solution of water and vinegar can be used to wipe it up. Not sure how one could get that off of fabric (drapes or cloth furniture). There are some pet enzyme cleaners available that may work.

Once neutered, it can take a few weeks for hormones to dissipate fully.

Welcome to the Forum!
Since your rabbit is 5 months old I think he’s spraying because of hormones. I think getting him neutered would be the best fix for this.

Hi thabks for all your replies and advice! :) I understand why he's spraying, and I'm planning to get him fixed as soon as the vets have availability. Unfortunately as this won't be till mid April now does anyone have any more advice on how to spot areas of spray without a sense of smell? I don't want to limit him only to his cage but j also don't want my house to stink lol

You could try a blacklight. You may also be able to see the little yellow spray spots on things once dried, or some may have a whitish residue.

I don't want to limit him only to his cage but j also don't want my house to stink lol
An exercise pen would be a handy thing to have in the meantime. That way you can at least limit his area without confining him to his cage. A single pen can be wrapped in such a way that you make use of an existing wall. This makes the pen area considerably larger (but may save some of your belongings from urine spray). [couple examples attached]

Attachments

• penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    penelope-cage_1_orig.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back