New rabbit owner, need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solstice

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently got a pair of bunnies for the first time, and I have some questions. I tried searching them up on the internet but the answers were varied. My rabbits live in a spacious cage situated near a large glass sliding door. When the weather is warm and sunny, we usually leave the door open to let the breeze and fresh air in. Is that good for my rabbits, or is it too drafty?
Another issue I found was that our piano is in the same room as the cage, and either I'm a horrible piano player or they just dislike the loud sounds, because they crawl into their hidey hole and refuse to come out when somebody is playing the piano. Should I move the cage to another room, or will they get used to the noise?
Another question I have is about bedding for their cage. I read online that I can use hay or straw for bedding, but it seems rather expensive to change and replace, so I put down a fleece blanket. Was this a bad choice? They're still getting used to using a litter box, and occasionally soil the blanket. They also nibble on it sometimes, and I'm worried that it will be bad for their health. Not putting anything down on the bottom of the cage seems wrong too. Should I look into getting them a pad or mat?

Hi, I think you need to practice more to improve your playing so they will come out if their hidey hole to clap their ears to you 🙃

It would be easier to advise if you could post some pics of their setup and where their cage is etc, generally drafts are no good but maybe you can cover their cage with a blanket so they can feel more comfortable, they don't like open spaces in my experience. I cover cage top, back and sides, only front is open, and even you can place some blanket where their toilet is so only 2/3 of the front panel will be open and from all around they will feel safe.

When you train for litter box you need to keep litter and some hay only in their toilet and all other floor must be clear and hard, so if they pee/poo outside of their toilet you put it into it and wipe pee with a paper towel and put into their toilet, you spray that spot with white vinegar 5 % to remove smell of urine so only their toilet should smell like toilet. Rabbits are very tidy and intelligent creature and they like using only one spot for pee so they will get this idea quickly.

What you use for toilet? Most of people here using wood pellets they absorb urine very well and help to keep smells under control. Some people also use recycled paper pellets. I find wood pellets very good and they also pretty cheap and with two rabbits you will probably need to replace them twice a week so cleaning is easy.

Can you tell us more about your rabbits?

What age they are, are they boys or girls and if you know are they neutered or not? Are they coming from a rescue or a breeder or else? We love pictures as well so if you can post some here we will give you some likes (if we like them)

Also what kind of piano? Rabbits love chewing on wooden stuff so if your furniture is shiny new and expensive you'd need to protect it, also protect all cables rabbits loves chew on cables for some reason, so any phone chargers, pc cables etc keep somewhere they couldn't reach.

You can use fleece blanket on their floor later when they are toilet trained.

P,S, Welcome to the forum 🙃:)🙃:):)

PPS What kind of music you play maybe you need to make changes in your repertoire?

Last edited:
Hi, I think you need to practice more to improve your playing so they will come out if their hidey hole to clap their ears to you 🙃

It would be easier to advise if you could post some pics of their setup and where their cage is etc, generally drafts are no good but maybe you can cover their cage with a blanket so they can feel more comfortable, they don't like open spaces in my experience. I cover cage top, back and sides, only front is open, and even you can place some blanket where their toilet is so only 2/3 of the front panel will be open and from all around they will feel safe.

When you train for litter box you need to keep litter and some hay only in their toilet and all other floor must be clear and hard, so if they pee/poo outside of their toilet you put it into it and wipe pee with a paper towel and put into their toilet, you spray that spot with white vinegar 5 % to remove smell of urine so only their toilet should smell like toilet. Rabbits are very tidy and intelligent creature and they like using only one spot for pee so they will get this idea quickly.

What you use for toilet? Most of people here using wood pellets they absorb urine very well and help to keep smells under control. Some people also use recycled paper pellets. I find wood pellets very good and they also pretty cheap and with two rabbits you will probably need to replace them twice a week so cleaning is easy.

Can you tell us more about your rabbits?

What age they are, are they boys or girls and if you know are they neutered or not? Are they coming from a rescue or a breeder or else? We love pictures as well so if you can post some here we will give you some likes (if we like them)

Also what kind of piano? Rabbits love chewing on wooden stuff so if your furniture is shiny new and expensive you'd need to protect it, also protect all cables rabbits loves chew on cables for some reason, so any phone chargers, pc cables etc keep somewhere they couldn't reach.

You can use fleece blanket on their floor later when they are toilet trained.

P,S, Welcome to the forum 🙃:)🙃:):)

PPS What kind of music you play maybe you need to make changes in your repertoire?

Hi!! Thanks for the advice. My bunnies are male and female, three months old, and siblings. We got them from my mom's friend, who's an experienced rabbit owner. We're planning to get them neutered soon, still doing some research on that.
I use cat litter for their toilet, because that's what my mom's friend recommended. They're doing pretty well with toilet training and most of the time they pee where they're supposed to. Poop is another story, but they're getting better and their messes are pretty easy to clean up.
Our piano isn't a grand piano, it's just the regular small kind and it's pretty old. Hopefully they'll get used to the sound, I play classical music most of the time. :)
Thanks for the advice about the blanket, I was kind of stressing over that. I'll also start covering up their cage to see if they like that better.

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 1.47.03 PM.png
Here's a pic of them together, sorry for the bad image quality. I'm also worried about them getting bored during the day, if you have any advice on treats or toys I can use to entertain them, that would be great too.

Thanks again!

They are very pretty!

So they are 3 months old and brother and sister. This is time to separate them because otherwise there's a risk that they will breed before you will get them neutered. Usually boys are separated from girls at 10-12 weeks. At 14 weeks girls can get pregnant, well it depends on their personal development and breed, smaller breeds mature sooner and dwarf boys can start humping from even 9 weeks. Also what are their temperaments, some rabbits stay calmer others can become very hormonal.
So unfortunately I have to suggest separating them. They look very happy together so I say unfortunately.

Unless if you are going to fix them both very soon. Very very soon.

They are very pretty!

So they are 3 months old and brother and sister. This is time to separate them because otherwise there's a risk that they will breed before you will get them neutered. Usually boys are separated from girls at 10-12 weeks. At 14 weeks girls can get pregnant, well it depends on their personal development and breed, smaller breeds mature sooner and dwarf boys can start humping from even 9 weeks. Also what are their temperaments, some rabbits stay calmer others can become very hormonal.
So unfortunately I have to suggest separating them. They look very happy together so I say unfortunately.

Unless if you are going to fix them both very soon. Very very soon.

So far they seem very calm and amicable together, not aggressive at all. The most I've seen them do is snuggle side by side.
It's a little hectic outside right now, but we'll get them neutered asap. Thanks!

Be aware that there are certain cat litters that are quite dangerous and harmful to rabbits. What kind of cat litter?

Why? How can they harm the bunny’s? I have loads of cat litters 😓

Cat litter is dangerous because rabbits only breath through their noses and are prone to digging, kicking up dust they then inhale, which then clumps in the respiratory passage. It can easily block breathing and cause a severe medical emergency or death, especially over time if they have continual build up in in the respiratory passage and the lungs.

Latest posts

Back