New rabbit and worried about Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Last Friday I got a little lionhead from my cousin. The first night I kept her in the room with my other rabbit, a little netherland dwarf but on the other side of the room. I think it was just the colour of the fur, but it looked like it was wet and had dried (you know that streaky lighter coloured?). I felt her nose and it was just slightly warm and when she nudged me I had a tiny spot of wetness. Her paws are clear.

The next morning I moved her up in me bedroom so I could keep an eye on her and isolate her just in case. I've been up half the night since I got her trying to listen for a sneeze or a cough and I haven't heard anything.

I've been breaking my day into two, one half with one bunny the other half with the other and taking a shower in between the two rabbits and washing my hands before and after I'm done at night with their feeds.

I can't help but worry that I may have got an infected rabbit with snuffles, and my mom has been saying I need to go on medication! What are the signs of snuffles? The early, middle and later? Anybody have any experiance with this?

Have I gone crazy?:shock:

**Also since that time she nudged me I haven't felt any wetness so I'm sort of thinking it amy have been a lick?

:)I think that its good to take precautionary measures for the present but it doesn't sound to me like you new bunny has any definite symptoms right now...scroll down the page and read what naturestee has posted about runnny nose in health references..that might help.

Have you checked out the threads in the Reference section yet?

Runny Nose:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12016&forum_id=10

Pasteurella
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12007&forum_id=10

Most rabbits have visible mucous and will sneeze. The eyes can be infected at the same time. They will have a lot of mucous which can get crusty and irritating to the eyes. The front legs and paws will often have dried mucous from washing the face.

It doesn't really sound like anything is wrong yet, but quarantining a new animal is always a good idea.:)

Thanks for the links!

With Pepsi I've noticed her nose is acting a bit odd, but I don't know if I'm just seeing this now but sometimes her nose moves slow and then speeds up and sometimes just doesn't move for about 5 seconds. Her nose is and nothing has changed in her behaviour I'm just worried about her nose, does anyone mind checking their rabbits nose, because I don't know if this is normal? The inside of her nose is a light pink colour and the little piece of skin in the middle looks a bit shiny but isn't wet. How do you tell if your rabbits nose is inflamed? I opened the window for her for about 10 minutes and her nose actions didn't change?

Her eyes are clear and bright and the fur around her eye isn't wet or crusted. Her front paws look exactly like her back paws (the fur coloring and way it is) and there's no crusted stuff anywhere I could find.

With Pebbles (New rabbit) Her eyes are clear just sometimes she has tiny amounts of crust stuff (like human sleep crust) that I can just brush away from the corner of her eye with my pinky but it's not a large amount. Is this normal? The crust isn't big, just a speck in the corner of her eye.

She breathes sort of rapidly but I'm not sure if this is normal as her breathing changes if I get her out or if she's in her cage (I think it's because she's stressed when she's out so she breathes more rapidly?) Her front paws are clean and her cheeks around her eyes are clean and her nose is dry and warm. Her appetite is excellent as she eats a lot of alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets with a bit of timothy and a normal amount of water and is very active.

Does anyone know any other signs that I might need to know to look out for? I was scared to death the first few days when I thought she had it, and I'm just starting to relax now.

Also, I phoned my cousin where I got her from, and she said the mom and the other babies have clear eyes and noses just the other gray one she said too looks like it's dried wetness so were' thinking it might be the colouring of her lower nose.

When a bunny is very alert and checking out his environment his nose will move really rapidly ..if a bunny is very relaxed and comfortable with his environment his nose may barely move at all. Their respirations also will change depending on what is happening ..when you pick them up they may breathe really rapidly. Respirations change all the time,increasing when the bunny is frightened. From what you just described it doesn't sound like your rabbit is behaving abnormally. Why are you so worried about snuffles?

Because about three years agomy friendbought a baby holland lop thatshe got, then it started having a runny nose a few days aftershe got her and then started sneezing around the time she had the runny nose and about a week and a half later after my friend gother she had massive diarrhea that my friend said smelt like skunk and died the next day, two weeks after she had bought her her.

We'renot sure what killed her,andI didn't think she was too healthy has shewas underweight whenmy friendbought her fromthe live stock auction.

I'm also wondering if stress makes the little ones nose a bit damp? Or the bedding? (She's on pine, but I'm looking into changing it)I took her out last night and shewas nudging my face and all like she always does and her nose was bone dry then when Iwas almost done having her out and aboutto put her back, I flipped her over on her back to check her fur on her paws she started freaking out and tried to escape and started breathing heavy. Then, when I put her in the cage she started grooming her self and I felt a damp spot on her nose, it wasn't running or anything just when I put my finger out so the light could catch it my finger glittered like it was wet, there was only a tiny spot.

So I'm wondering if it's either from or triggered by stress, the bedding, or she was just washing her face when she was grooming? Her nose was abit damp when she finished grooming.

Also, just to be safe if she has something that just comes out instressful situation, should I wait longer then a month to introduce her to Pepsi just to make sure? Also, just curious around how much is a culture and sensitivity (not sure if that's right) test? Before I have her in contact with my other rabbit I just want to make sure she doesn't have anything!

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the cost of a culture, however since you are so very worried about her it may relieve your mind to take her to a good rabbit vet. Are you using pine shavings? If so that is not good for the bunnies respiratory tract, however short term use shouldn't affect her. I would advise taking her to the vet just so you can have some peace of mind.

There is a fairly good vet that I haven't gone to yet about 45 minutes away that deals with exotics and a few places I found that didn't deal with rabbits highly reccommended me to her so I'll maybe phone there to see. It's good to take a new rabbit to get checked out just in case right?

Its a good thing to take a new rabbit to the vet if you have any concerns but only to someone who know what to look for, so maybe you could call a few.

Just an update.

Pebbles is doing good, is active drinking water lots but (I can't be certain she could have been jsut rustling hay) but I heard something last night. What does a rabbit sneeze sound like?:?

Also, is it normal for rabbits to not have an absolute bone dry nose? Sometimes when I put my finger close against her nose it comes back feeling just a tiny bit moist, not drastic and if you saw her you'd think she was perfectly fine. It doesn't run it's only a bit moist when I hold my finger next to it. I was going to do the first introductions with her and my other rabbit next friday, but I'm going to wait another four weeks just to be sure. If she had sneezed, would it be enough to wake me when I'd been in a light sleep?

Other then the moist of her nose and that nose she acts like a regular baby bunny, curious, hyper, and overall happy!

I asked my mom, and she said that unless her symptoms get worse or shows anymore symptoms like whitedishcharge or excessive sneezing,then she doesn't want to spend extra money on something she says I'm just "being silly" about.:?

:DI think that Pebbles sounds like she isjust fine. I took one of the shelter rabbits to the vet about a month ago because sometimes his nose was a tiny bit damp and he made little sounds when I picked him upand the vet examined him and said that he was perfectly healthy.

Spring wrote:
Just an update.

Pebbles is doing good, is active drinking water lots but (I can't be certain she could have been jsut rustling hay) but I heard something last night. What does a rabbit sneeze sound like?:?

Also, is it normal for rabbits to not have an absolute bone dry nose? Sometimes when I put my finger close against her nose it comes back feeling just a tiny bit moist, not drastic and if you saw her you'd think she was perfectly fine. It doesn't run it's only a bit moist when I hold my finger next to it. I was going to do the first introductions with her and my other rabbit next friday, but I'm going to wait another four weeks just to be sure. If she had sneezed, would it be enough to wake me when I'd been in a light sleep?

Other then the moist of her nose and that nose she acts like a regular baby bunny, curious, hyper, and overall happy!

I asked my mom, and she said that unless her symptoms get worse or shows anymore symptoms like whitedishcharge or excessive sneezing,then she doesn't want to spend extra money on something she says I'm just "being silly" about.:?

Rabbit sneezes sound like "iii-csch! cssch! cssch!" A little moisture on or around the nose is perfectly normal. Sneezing once in awhile isn't a bad thing either, just like humans. I sneeze when I get in bright sunlight, or dust in the air, or whatever--similarly, rabbits occasionally sneeze and it doesn't mean they are sick.:)

My outdoor rabbits' noses get wet when it's cold and they've been sleeping with their noses tucked into the chest fur. Or sometimes for no reason at all. Eyes can run if they get poked by a bit of hay (very common), but this will go away in a day or so. The little "sleeper" at the corner of the eye is totally normal--again, just like humans.

The white discharge and severe runny nose can also--but not always!!--indicate allergies instead of pasteurella. My Holland lop buck shares an open wall (wire) with his sister, and has for the past five years. He's always touching noses with her, and she hasn't ever started sniffling, but his nose is awful--yucky runny--and is triggered by hay and dust. I worried aboutpasteurella at first too. Marsh hay cut down on his symptoms because it's less dusty, and he's done remarkably well this winter.

My Palomino, Bub, will soak my arm when he's sniffing and chinning me. He drools when he smells female :shock:, and his nose gets wet. It's justexcitement, but disgusting. BOYS!!!

So the point is: small variations are most likely ok as long as she's acting normal. When you own her for longer you'll know what her little quirks are and what not to worry about.:)A period of quarantine is probably a good idea, just as a general safety practice.

Rose

Hi Spring!

When we took Binkie to the vet the other day she was pretty upset and was breathing rapidly. I knew she was fine, however her muzzle was very damp. From experience I know that it was most likely the result of her rapid breathing and possibly her natural reaction to cool herself down. One of the ways a bunnie cools down is through their respiration.
Brindle does the same thing if we should take her for a car ride. She very anxious for the first 15 minutes or so, and then she settles down and enjoys the ride.

Benji has been giving us trouble with runny eyes. It first started with one and after 3 days I took him to the vet. She though it could be conjunctivitis and prescribed a salve. 3 days later it migrated to the other eye and we started treating both eyes. About a week later everything seemed to be back to normal. I opened a new bag of hay that day and it was a bit dusty....the next day Benji had a runny eye.
I watched him while he was eating the hay and noticed that he turned his head to one side to eat the hay out of the rack. In addition, the rack was place above bunnie-eye level. I realized that he could be getting the hay dust in his eyes and started to wonder if he actually has allergies.
I removed the hay andthe rack. Then I substituted hay cubes. I threw out all of the pellets I had (just about the bottom of the bag), bought new pellets and sifted them before giving any to the buns. 2 days later his eyes are clear. I'm thinking it's allergies, but I'll keep a close watch on him.

~Jim

You don't know how relived I am with those last posts! Thanks! I started freaking when a website said rabbits nose are always dry, and if they aren't then there's something wrong! . The noise I heard sound sort of like when you blow out your nose quickly. It's sort of a raspy sound, but I only heard it once.

So if she is active and herself and no more discharge or unusual behaviour it's probably ok to do the first introduction with her and Pepsi? I'm so excited as I have had Pebbles up to Pepsi's cage (about a step away) and Pepsi came over and stood up on her hind legs and sniffed then came down and sat there until I took her out of the room then she stood up again.

Pepsi has been with another baby, and she hasn't had any problems being territorial so I'm sure everything is going to be fine! :)

I was thinking beginning of April to introduce them? I still need to build Pepsi's ramp so she can come out easier so that gives me some time to!

*Sorry I just have a few more things to say.. I plan to shred newspaper instead of the sawdust as it gets stuck to her little arear near her tail and her mane, so I'll also see if her nose goes a bit drier after.

Thanks a ton!:highfive::thumbup

Hi Spring!

No apologies necessary for being anxious about your babies ;).

My standard is a two week quarantine for new bunnies.

Same goes for a sick bunnie. From the time they have recovered, I will keep them out of physical contact with the others. Better safe than sorry.

Benji's cage is usually right up against Brindle's and Chippy's, but while I've been concerned about his eyes, I moved it about a foot away from both cages. My vet suggested moving him to another room if he was sneezing, but he hasn't sneezed once since this all started.

Washing hands before and after handling the bun in question is a peeve of mine (my hands are all pruney!!)....gone through lots of Purell, too. This goes for after handling food dishes, water bottles, litter pans, etc.

Binkie sneezed quite often when we first got her, but it never developed into anything. Rosie did the same thing when we first got her and she's been fine, too. I must have a dusty house :?.

~JimD

It's just confusing when you go to sites.. some say one thing.. others say something else.. and another one disagrees with them both! It's sort of irritating! That's why I really like this forum, because you can get lots of opinions from people who know what they are talking about!

Same, my hands feel like sand from washing constantly! Since I got Pebbles, on school days I'd scrub my hands before feeding and playing with one rabbit then scrub my hands with hot water and soap after then repeat the process for the other rabbit. Then I spend until super with one rabbit, then the same amount of time with the other rabbit after dinner-after my shower.. then repeat the process from the morning at night time! Well, at least I probably won't get a cold!;)

I think I am going to wait until the nof April just to make me feel better, and also to check again with my cousin where I got her from to make sure she's still a female, because sometimes when the private of a male is split or something it looks like a female? Even if Pebbles was a male it'd still be too young for her to breed right? (She's just over 9 weeks) and my cousin was definite she was a she but I just like to have these things finalized because I don't want any litters!;)

I've also read from another forum that after an unbred female passes a year old and hasn't been breed her pulvic bones fuse and she can't give birth? That's why I want to double check I actually have a female!

Spring wrote:
I've also read from another forum that after an unbred female passes a year old and hasn't been breed her pulvic bones fuse and she can't give birth? That's why I want to double check I actually have a female!
I bred a Holland lop doeat 1.5 yrs. She did just fine, but it is recommended to have the first litter around 1 yr. to avoid complications related to bone and fat development in the pelvic area.

Rose

Ok, she's a netherland dwarf. I was just worried that for some bizarre reason the little one turned out to be a boy even on a later check up and got Pepsi pregnant (She's about a year and a half). Although if I wasn't as attached to Pepsi and not such a worry wort I might have bred her.. so tempting but so not tempting at the same time! lol!

Latest posts

Back