New owner of 2 rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brerrabbit

Reaction score
Hello, I've just joined after getting 2 rabbits. I haven't had a rabbit since I was a child, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I have just adopted a 5 month old male which I'm told is a rex mix. They didn't have any females available, so I ended up buying a female from a pet shop and was told she is a 9 week old mini lop. I will introduce both of them with pics in the registry section.

I plan for both rabbits to free roam my living room together, but I am currently having to keep 1 in a cage and 1 free roam till they switch halfway through the day. The male isn't neutered yet, and the female is frightened. I plan to get the male neutered ASAP, but he doesn't weigh enough. He was underweight so they had him on a junior rabbit pellet, but it was a cheap, pet-shop 'own brand', with lots of filler ingredients. I'm gradually changing to junior nugget with alfalfa in (along with his supply of fresh hays) to help him gain weight. He also has long nail wicks, because he's had overgrown nails in the past.

The male was named oreo when I adopted him, but I've changed it to Br'er. (There were 3 other rabbits named oreo just in the adoption centre alone🙄.) He had been adopted twice- and returned again. He is brimming with personality, so cute 🥰 yet naughty! If I move something away from him, he wags his tail (SO cute) and defies me! I was worried about leaving him alone until I've had more chance to observe any bunny-proofing I may have missed, so I took him to work with me (I'm a support worker for 2 ladies with learning disabilities) and he made himself right at home there too... The ladies I support clicked with him just as much as I did, he was so good with them! He's thumping right now because it's his turn to be in the cage.

The female isn't named yet. She is very nervous - buying from a pet shop was so different from adopting. The lady asked no more questions than my contact details, before she swooped down and pounced on my poor new baby bunny like a starved bird 🦅... naturally, the rabbit thought she was fighting for her life and escaped her clutches twice until she was eventually dragged up by the middle and trapped into my pet carrier. At home, I placed her into a play pen and, when she had gotten explorative, I added Br'er. He pounced straight onto her head and humped. I picked him up for a moment before trying again with the same result. I know this is normal, but I decided that it wasn't the right time for either of them and I was rushing. She is still frightened, and Br'er is 5 months and unneutered.

She is currently free roaming the living room while I drink tea and join this forum. She is gaining confidence in exploring, she's grooming herself and she is having a good chew on my table legs and the wooden safety gate. She is still very alert and flinches a little when I get up, or there is a sudden noise. She hops away more calmly when I reach out to stroke her, and she is interested in smelling my hands and feet.... She's also been chinning the wooden gate which has left me confused. I was of the belief that this was scent marking or territory marking behaviour found in males and females from adolescence, but she 9 weeks old.

I'm really pleased to be able to join, and looking forward to reading!

Good morning and welcome to the bunny forum @brerrabbit 🥰👍
I want to start by saying thank you for caring for your two little luvbuns and giving them what sounds like a wonderful furever home.

I think it was the smartest move to keep the buns separated until you can get your male fixed. I would suggest you get them both done at the same time though so the healing and confinement can happen for both of them at the same time. Females need spaying to help prevent cervical cancer as well as unwanted pregnancy (males can impregnate even a month or two after their surgery).
I think it is wonderful you have taken your little fella with you to work. Bunnies are wonderful compassion support animals 🥰

As for your little female... You need to give her all the time and space needed to come out of her shell if she is as frightened as you state.

I have a double mane lionhead who was abandoned into a high traffic area when he was only 4-6 months old.
After I got him home, I noticed how absolutely terrified he was and it broke my heart.
He never hopped forward to go where he wanted to go unless he was certain humans weren't near.
As soon as he saw or felt you coming, he'd zip away as fast as a blink, backwards like a shrimp does in water 😔.
I decided at that moment I would NEVER make him deal with anything he didn't want to. No petting, no picking up, no cuddles 🥺.
I have had him now for 4 years and he doesn't shrimp out of water anymore. He has learned to trust me and the few folks I have come into my home.
His favourite snooze spot is at the right corner of my coffee table, not even a foot from me if I lay at that end.
I can stroke him a few times while giving him a treat and I can even give a few brushes into his fur coat when he has his favourites 👍.
He bonks me in my ankle as I take a step, a game we call "bonk sha bonk" and what I say to him when I go to lift my foot to take the next step.
The other day, I think I got my very first "residual kiss" 🤗 a lick of the last smells of treat on my finger 🤣 his little lop wife does this every single time, but that's the only kissing I get from her too 🤷‍♀️

Anyhow, I do hope you find your time here helpful and that you find yourself in a great group of folks who can fully relate to being a bunny parent 👍🥰💞

Good morning and welcome to the bunny forum @brerrabbit 🥰👍
I want to start by saying thank you for caring for your two little luvbuns and giving them what sounds like a wonderful furever home.

I think it was the smartest move to keep the buns separated until you can get your male fixed. I would suggest you get them both done at the same time though so the healing and confinement can happen for both of them at the same time. Females need spaying to help prevent cervical cancer as well as unwanted pregnancy (males can impregnate even a month or two after their surgery).
I think it is wonderful you have taken your little fella with you to work. Bunnies are wonderful compassion support animals 🥰

As for your little female... You need to give her all the time and space needed to come out of her shell if she is as frightened as you state.

I have a double mane lionhead who was abandoned into a high traffic area when he was only 4-6 months old.
After I got him home, I noticed how absolutely terrified he was and it broke my heart.
He never hopped forward to go where he wanted to go unless he was certain humans weren't near.
As soon as he saw or felt you coming, he'd zip away as fast as a blink, backwards like a shrimp does in water 😔.
I decided at that moment I would NEVER make him deal with anything he didn't want to. No petting, no picking up, no cuddles 🥺.
I have had him now for 4 years and he doesn't shrimp out of water anymore. He has learned to trust me and the few folks I have come into my home.
His favourite snooze spot is at the right corner of my coffee table, not even a foot from me if I lay at that end.
I can stroke him a few times while giving him a treat and I can even give a few brushes into his fur coat when he has his favourites 👍.
He bonks me in my ankle as I take a step, a game we call "bonk sha bonk" and what I say to him when I go to lift my foot to take the next step.
The other day, I think I got my very first "residual kiss" 🤗 a lick of the last smells of treat on my finger 🤣 his little lop wife does this every single time, but that's the only kissing I get from her too 🤷‍♀️

Anyhow, I do hope you find your time here helpful and that you find yourself in a great group of folks who can fully relate to being a bunny parent 👍🥰💞
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome and the useful advice. They certainly are great support, I'm lucky I was able to take him, he brightened all of our day.
Absolutely agree, I'm giving her as much space as I can within reason. Her nails do need a little trim, but it's not urgent. I've read some other people's posts saying they place a slate in front of their water dish to help with nails, so I'll try this for the time being- just until she's a little more confident.

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor bunny's start in life, so glad he found you! He sounds very sweet 🥰 I bet it feels so rewarding, to have a helpless being that's lost faith in humans learn to put his trust in you. You're obviously benefiting his wellbeing.

Many thanks to you, and best wishes to you and your bunny family!

Latest posts

Back