New Mother Acting Strange

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sav

Reaction score
My doe, a Mini Rex, recently kindled 7 kits on the 28th. All has been fine, however when I went to check on her and the kits this morning, she was very much so off. She had no interest in her food, hay, and only nibbled a few bites off of a dandelion leaf. So, I checked pulled her out and checked her over, nothing noticeable other than it seems as though she may have had diarrhea (a liquidy yellow ring near her bum). As far as behavior, she has just been laying down any chance she gets, and even ran away from me to lay on top of her kits (she was definitely not feeding them, just laying relaxed on top of their nest). She is a first time mother, and has been doing amazing, but I am a bit worried for her. She’s had access to hay, water, and feed at all times. Any ideas what could be wrong, or how I could help her?

Also wanted to mention that her lower left side of her abdomen has been shaking (almost similar to sort of seizure looking motions, but only in the cusp of her left hind leg, going towards her spine?). Curious as to if this may be a note able symptom.

I would give her a gentle tummy massage, for about 15 vminutes at least if she tolerates it, and keep her warm. Could be that the kits squirming under her or the warmth oif the nest do feel good.

Anyway, a doe going off food is an emergency. One reason could be hypocalcemia, that she is too low on calcium, giving her a Tums can help with that (fruit flavourd are said to be accepted rather well), I put egg shells in a coffee grinder and put the dust on somewhat damp kitchen oatmeal. Or I soak pellets to a musch and mix it in there, and fforce feed it if she doesn't eat by herself.
Offer her all tasty stuff that she's used to.

This is just something you can do right now, but I would see a vet ASAP anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sav
Gave her 1 tum crushed up and mixed with a few pellets in a syringe and belly massages, and watched over the next few hours (closest vet to us is two hours away, so wanted to be sure it was an emergency). Thankfully she’s now back on feed, and acting herself again!

A yellow ring around her bum- possible diarrhea- sounds like bacterial enteritis to me. You need to look at her poo and see if she has any yellow mucus or if they are soft. Bacterial enteritis has to be treated with a antibiotic so I would take the doe and her poo to the vet.

Reactions: Sav

Latest posts

Back