New Member. Need Advise.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gia Costa

Reaction score
Hi all!
My name is Gia and I am not really a new rabbit owner but have owned guinea pigs for years. I've owned my rabbits for over a year now but have many friends who are very experienced. My one year old Netherland Dwarf has always been litter trained and never pees anywhere except his litter box. For a month or two he was living in a large pen but now he is free roaming in a spare room. I was very surprised to find that he has been peeing outside of his litter box on my carpet. He's also been peeing on my expensive chair that is pretty difficult to clean. He is living alone right now until I can get him neutered so it's probably not territorial, right? Does anyone know why he has started this behavior? How do I stop this? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Gia xoxo

Toblerone.jpg

Is he peeing or spraying? If he is spraying, it is because of his hormones and neutering will solve this. If it's peeing, perhaps another member could help you with some litter box training. I struggled to get my bun to use a litter box in the beginning.

I have a rabbit that will intermittently stop using her box. I have to confine her to a smaller space with her litter box to help her remember what its for. I have been told this gets better once the rabbit is spayed/neutered. I also have given her extra litter boxes around the house.

Yes this will get so much better with neutering. It’s really difficult to get an entire rabbit to be 100% with litter training. Since spaying, my rabbit has the run of the whole house and just the one litter box, we’ve never had any accidents. Bunnies naturally want to be clean, but when they are hormonal the desire to mark territory can override that. They will still mark even if there aren’t other rabbits around.

Latest posts

Back