New Litter Box Bedding Research

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnygreen

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been using Carefresh natural and Carefresh white bedding since I had my first rabbit, and am now with my second who is about 2.5 years old. The Carefresh bedding has always been great for my previous rabbit healthwise which is my primary concern, but Dr. Cheese my current rabbit seems to have a bit more potent smelling urine (he is fixed as well). I've been thinking of trying another option to see if it helps with the odor, but haven't done research in a while since I have always had great success with their health and odor in the past. Are there any newer brands or suggestions? I've avoided the wood-based due to respiratory concerns for him, and my own allergies.

Even if a newer suggestion doesn't help the odor too much, it sparked my interest into refreshing my knowledge into any advancements in case there are safer options for him, while potentially benefitting the smell.

Thanks in advance!

Only certain wood bedding/litter isn't good to use with rabbits. Wood pellet litter is pretty much the standard for a lot of us with rabbits. I found they worked the best of everything I tried, for absorption and controlling odor, and is pretty much all I used for the last 10 years. I would usually get the equine wood pellets from the feed store, though sometimes I did use plain wood stove pellets. Both are usually around $6-8 for a 40lb bag.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Litter_training
I tried carefresh years ago, but didn't really like it much. It didn't seem very good at absorbing the urine or controlling the smell to me, but that was just my experience with it. If you absolutely can't use any of the rabbit safe wood litter, there are paper and straw based pelleted litters that may work better than the carefresh.

Hi everyone! I've been using Carefresh natural and Carefresh white bedding since I had my first rabbit, and am now with my second who is about 2.5 years old. The Carefresh bedding has always been great for my previous rabbit healthwise which is my primary concern, but Dr. Cheese my current rabbit seems to have a bit more potent smelling urine (he is fixed as well). I've been thinking of trying another option to see if it helps with the odor, but haven't done research in a while since I have always had great success with their health and odor in the past. Are there any newer brands or suggestions? I've avoided the wood-based due to respiratory concerns for him, and my own allergies.

Even if a newer suggestion doesn't help the odor too much, it sparked my interest into refreshing my knowledge into any advancements in case there are safer options for him, while potentially benefitting the smell.

Thanks in advance!
FELINE PINE, WOODSTOVE PELLETS MAKE SURE THERE IS NO ADDED CHEMICALS, HORSE STALL PELLETS . GOOD LUCK

We swapped from loose bedding onto wood stove pellets, those worked for quite some time but seemed to irk both rabbits and me, so we swapped over to straw-based pellet bedding, as reccommended by our vet for a bun with respiratory struggles. It works great for us, is low in dust, has a nice weak hay smell, keeps yuck contained and is also relatively wallet-friendly.

We swapped from loose bedding onto wood stove pellets, those worked for quite some time but seemed to irk both rabbits and me, so we swapped over to straw-based pellet bedding, as reccommended by our vet for a bun with respiratory struggles. It works great for us, is low in dust, has a nice weak hay smell, keeps yuck contained and is also relatively wallet-friendly.
Thank you! Do you happen to have a link to one that you would recommend?

Only certain wood bedding/litter isn't good to use with rabbits. Wood pellet litter is pretty much the standard for a lot of us with rabbits. I found they worked the best of everything I tried, for absorption and controlling odor, and is pretty much all I used for the last 10 years. I would usually get the equine wood pellets from the feed store, though sometimes I did use plain wood stove pellets. Both are usually around $6-8 for a 40lb bag.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Litter_training
I tried carefresh years ago, but didn't really like it much. It didn't seem very good at absorbing the urine or controlling the smell to me, but that was just my experience with it. If you absolutely can't use any of the rabbit safe wood litter, there are paper and straw based pelleted litters that may work better than the carefresh.
Thank you! As for replacing the bedding, is it similar with hay/food swaps to slowly adapt over? I've always used the same bedding so that's one thing I would question. I'm assuming you would leave part of the old bedding so their scent is still there, maybe 50/50 to start? Then 75/50 until fully adapted.

Thank you! Do you happen to have a link to one that you would recommend?
The ones we use aren't avaliable in the states, i think, it's a company/brand that spreads across the balkans and baltics of Europe.
But i'm pretty sure that any type of horse stall pellets and/hay-based ones are good to go. Just go to any of your local farm stores and see what they've got to offer. Our local chain is someting called Scandagra, but you probably have tractor supply or target or something, i'm not quite aware.

Also, litter isn't like diet and as far as i have experienced, rabbits aren't that picky about new litter going under them, especially if it is in any way similar to their previous one.

They might just nibble on the new one to see if it is in any way consumable, but should soon stop if they see hay added to it. Aka getting distracted by something they know is really good and tasty.
(My royal duo is mischevious and will eat a few bedding hay pellets if i snooze on giving fresh hay when the litterbox is changed. Not all will be inclined to do that, and it's not harmless by itself, because it's compressed hay, but just a fun lil' antic to watch out for)
So i'd just keep using the old stuff until the bag runs out and then keep a couple poos in the new litter for the first time or two.
Unless your bun raises specific fuss for longer than what you think would be normal, i wouldn't hassle with the old-new mixy-mix thing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Still-River-Pellets/5001965889
These are an example of what to look for. Just top them with hay and your rabbit should have no problem with the change. Without hay on top, some rabbits may hesitate to take that first step onto these "strange new things." The hay makes it enticing and also serves a purpose as explained at this link.

Latest posts

Back