New Hutch cage extension.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
Ok so this is the hutch we ordered.
Stanshouse.jpg

Got some advice from here than he may not have enough room to jump and stand up, So me, hubby and daughter built this cage extension today.
DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0374-1.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

Should set right up aginst the side of the new hutch, and will just remove those wires so he will have acess.

Still working on triming and covering all wires so there are no pokes and need to tile the floor with some laminate tiles.

looks awesome! You might want to seal the floor before putting down the tiles. I know that I'm thankful I did (since a lot of water etc has gone through the cracks) so it will last the 10 years it'll be in use.

I have heard that some rabbits can chew through chicken wire, so (especially if you're planning to put this out side) do be careful.

I'd be careful with the chicken wire; once Vegas got his nose stuck in it and I had to take him to the vet for antibiotics because it got infected. Just watch you bun while he's in there!

He will be inside and i will keep in eye on the chickenwire... I think in the furture we will be upgrading to a thicker smaller more sturdy wire. Thanks for looking and the input it helps alot. Without the input i wouldnt have even made a extension at all!

Oh, I see you said he will be inside? So the hutch will just be his cage inside?
I have also heard that buns can chew through chicken wire. It probably depends on the bunny though and whether or not he's interested in chewing on it.

I don't know if you've addressed this elsewhere or not, but do you plan on allowing him out of his hutch and its extension for exercise time? It's great, of course, to give him more room in his cage. I was wondering if you had considered bunny proofing an area or using an x-pen to allow more running area. (please don't be insulted by my question. I know that some new bunny owners just aren't aware of this)

Last edited:
Never insulted, I love the advice. I need to learn as much as possible.
When i got stan he was already almost a year old and still in the 2x2 cube in the back of the pet store. He gets time out of the cage but spends it in one spot. He lets me know when he is ready to come out. Now that marci is here he has perked up SOO much and loves being around her. But shes to young for a spay and his neuter appt is still another 2 weeks!=[

We are thinking about changing the chicken wire withen the month to a nicer thicker sturdy wire. But so far he has not messed with it at all.

(And yes he is inside full time for now, Florida fleas never die!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxDNJ1duy4[/ame]

Here is a video we took when it was all done with stan in his extension

Thankyou!
He LOVES this thing... Still waiting for the main hutch to arrive.
Stan has done SOO good with not chewing im proud of him.. However im still going to upgrade the chicken wire beacause it only takes 1 minute of me not looking for him to get seriously hurt on it. You should see the scratches i had all over just by working with it!

Looks good. Shouldent the side without wire be one of the long sides? That way you can but it up to the cage easier. I do not know all the details though.

For now it is extending the cage out length wise, If this works out well for him we may be adding another one beacause this extention is so cheap. Depends on the space we have !

Latest posts

Back