New holland lop :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisslacie

Reaction score
So we took Lacie to the vet to get just a general check up and the vet said she looked perfect! I asked her about bonding and whatnot because we wanted to get another bunny and she said it would be best to get another young female soon so that they could mature together.
So of course it wasnt hard to find one we fell in love with.. an 8 week old holland lop, we named her Reese.
We brought them home and put them in their own cages, and they were nuzzling eachother and sniffing eachother through the bars. They seemed to have no problems so we got them out and put them into the bathtub to see what they would do. I know this was probly wayy to early but my bf was very impatient lol.
When they got into the bathtub they sat beside eachother and started to groom themselves. They didnt seem to care about eachother. They would sniff eachother and then go back to their own things.
Then Lacie tried to mount Reese?.. now they're both females. Is this normal? When she mounted her, Reese got scared and would try to run away, Lacie reacted by trying to follow/lunge at her. If we said Lacie's name she would stop and look at us all innocently and go back to grooming herself. Then it would all happen again.
We put them side by side and pet them both for a long while until they both calmed down. Then put them into their kennels that are side by side.
Once again, in the cages they're perfectly fine. They sniff and will lay there and not have any problems.

Any tips for bonding or where we should go from here? All advice would be very helpful!!

Pictures are of our new bunny Reese :)

May17th027.jpg
[url= target=]

Reese is adorable! Feel like pulling her out through my screen, lol.

Mounting is dominance behavior in many species. Lacie was tellingReese who was boss; scary, no doubt.

I better let the actual rabbit experts give you advice on how to properly handle introductions though. Patience for now :)

Reese is so cute! I love little gray loppies. She's precious, congratulations and good luck with the eventual bonding.

I love Hollands, She looks so sweet!! Yep, just like ItsaZoo said, Lacy wants to be the top of the pack or the alpha.

"I would have two cages set up for the rabbits side by side, about three inches apart. It is important to keep the cages slightly apart because they will sometimes try to bite each other through the wires. Many rabbits have scars on their lips from this. You do want them in the same room so they can communicate with each other. I will often place the litter boxes on the far side, away from the other cage. Greens are typically placed in the side closest to the other cage. Eating is a social activity and this will force them to be a little social. Lastly, I have the rabbits switch cages every night. This way they get used to living with the other rabbit's scent and neither gets too possessive about either cage."-http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

awwe thanks everyone! we think shes pretty cute too :) haha
Thanks for the advice Bunluvvie. How long should we keep switcihng cages before we take them out again and let them see eachother? :)

If that isn't the most pitiful pouting look I've ever seen on a bunny, I don't know what is! She definitely has the "wook at da widdle bunner who needs treats" look down!

Personaly, I would keep them in separate cages until they are both spayed, hormonal females can really go for eachother, mine fight through the bars of the cage.

Aww, congratulations! :)
It may help to have them mature together, but there's a point where things may change when they reach maturaty. Not a massive deal, but just be aware that as they leave their 'baby personalities' and start becoming hormonal, their attitude towards each other may change. For this reason, I wouldn't completely bond them (living in one cage unsupervised) until a month or so after they are spayed. But no worries, can always work on bonding in the meantime!

When I usually do bonding sessions, I set up a little pen (3x3 will do.. give or take space if they seem to be doing well in a larger space or smaller space) with toys and some hidey holes in it. Then just watch from there!

Also wanted to bring this up quickly (so you don't have any surprises later!) If Lacie is still intact, I would be very alert of the possiblity of the gender fairy striking Reese. Even the most experienced eyes can misread during sexing! Most likely they are both females, but just something to be aware of (so you dont have to worry about surprises!). Thought I would make a quick note, just so you are aware :).

Good news!!

We putReese and Laciein the bathtub for 20 mins today and we didnt have any mounting or biting! A few times you could tell Lacie wanted to get a little bit rough but if we said her name she would completely back off.
We gave them some veggies in the tub and they shared some Cilantro :) And they layed together for part of it!
It was a much better start than last time! :)
Thanks to everyone who helped and gave me advice!!

May18th037.jpg
" alt="">

May18th047.jpg
" alt="">

Latest posts

Back