New Holland Lop owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Christi. All good advice. I like the ramp. I will make one as well. Feel like it will stash away more conveniently than stairs. 8 days til we bring Gertie home. Weather is so great here in Houston. Perfect time of year for her to be running around the yard.

Is it ok to let a baby bunny snack on st Augustine grass, clover etc while she is out running around in the yard? I still have a bunch of research to do on diet. We have some great quality pellets and hay already. I’ve read a little on veggies and know that is down the road. We have fake turf in our backyard where we spend a lot of our time. I assume she may try it and realize it’s just plastic and move on.

At first, the grass and clover may upset her stomach so it's best to wait until she's 3 months because when younger, rabbits can't tolerate too many changes at once. Then those outdoor foods can be introduced as long as they aren't sprayed with pesticides. She may actually enjoy eating the fake turf. If so, blankets/other flooring may need to be placed down to prevent her from ingesting too much and causing a blockage. You may get lucky and not get a chewer ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Christi. All good advice. I like the ramp. I will make one as well. Feel like it will stash away more conveniently than stairs. 8 days til we bring Gertie home. Weather is so great here in Houston. Perfect time of year for her to be running around the yard.

Is it ok to let a baby bunny snack on st Augustine grass, clover etc while she is out running around in the yard? I still have a bunch of research to do on diet. We have some great quality pellets and hay already. I’ve read a little on veggies and know that is down the road. We have fake turf in our backyard where we spend a lot of our time. I assume she may try it and realize it’s just plastic and move on.

Steve,
You’re very welcome. Limit the veggies and lettuce until she is older. It tends to give them loose stools. My buns don’t bother the artificial turf but they sure ate every leaf off my bushes. Glad you liked my ramp, it was easy and they love it. Gives them just enough grip to run up and down. The stairs just help the other cage ramp not be so steep. But bunnies are very smart, they figure it out in one try. I️ recommend lots of Timothy hay, it really helps their digestive system. I️ give a fresh handful 2x a day. You can buy the dumoor bag at tractor supply. Open and smell the bags, pick the freshest smelling one. (Learned that trick on this website). Good luck with your bun. I️ truly think they make the best pet.

Christi

Steve,
You’re very welcome. Limit the veggies and lettuce until she is older. It tends to give them loose stools. My buns don’t bother the artificial turf but they sure ate every leaf off my bushes. Glad you liked my ramp, it was easy and they love it. Gives them just enough grip to run up and down. The stairs just help the other cage ramp not be so steep. But bunnies are very smart, they figure it out in one try. I️ recommend lots of Timothy hay, it really helps their digestive system. I️ give a fresh handful 2x a day. You can buy the dumoor bag at tractor supply. Open and smell the bags, pick the freshest smelling one. (Learned that trick on this website). Good luck with your bun. I️ truly think they make the best pet.

Christi

Oh one more thing, you can hang the ramp from the side of the cage when not in use. Makes for easy storage.

EB8948F4-40E5-4C6E-AB4B-D434E3291D26.jpeg FYI all, we picked up Gertie on Saturday morning. She is the SWEETEST little girl. Such cute mannerisms and very cuddly. Kids are super excited. There was some concern about her cage at first but she seems to like it so far.

I’m glad someone still has a sense of humor. For real she’s cute and seems to love her ferret nation cage. She goes up and down the ramps and loves to look out the window. She doesn’t eat the turf at all but loves to run on it. She does her little binkies all the time outside. And she’s been eating clover and grass while outside and seems fine. Our breeder said she’s been giving them similar access to grass already.

Attachments

• 0A0F6953-4D70-4167-ACEC-5B5DB4FF2F75.jpeg
    0A0F6953-4D70-4167-ACEC-5B5DB4FF2F75.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 4E2959BC-6391-486D-BA29-944501ABA8AA.jpeg
    4E2959BC-6391-486D-BA29-944501ABA8AA.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 39
HAHAHA, I just realized that was not the same rabbit in your OP or your last post. I'm such a dim-wit sometimes.

I wanted to write an update since our bunny is now six months old and we’ve had her for four months. Maybe this will help people who are on the fence about buying a bunny. Basically she has been an amazing pet for the family. She loves her ferret nation double cage and so do we. The litter box training was a breeze. She keeps a pretty clean cage. A few stray poops and hay but overall she is a super clean animal. We made a ramp for her to go in and out of her cage and let her run free in one big room for a few hours a day. She likes to run around and explore but surprisingly she voluntarily goes back in her cage on and off. I hope that means she like it. And best of all she always goes back in the cage to use the litter box. She’s a little shy and won’t typically run straight up to people but she loves being pet. She’ll run fast in circles and then jump up and bink. It is really funny. She does mind being carried around by my 7 year old daughter which is nice because she loves to carry her around. Gertie will just lay on her back and let you pet and scratch her. My biggest surprise is how much easier she is than a dog. I’d say the real work is less than five minutes a day. Pellets, veggies, hay and a quick vacuum with a little wet dry vac. Then maybe dump the litter box every few days. Really a fraction of the work a dog required. She is also super clean. Doesn’t smell. Has only had one shed and it wasn’t bad. Just overall a great pet. I’ve also been surprised how well the kids have taken to her. She gets a ton of attention and they even help feed and clean. I wasn’t expecting that but it’s been nice. So if you’re on the fence, I’d definitely consider a bunny. It’s been really fun for us. I’ll try to post a few new pictures as well

Hey buddies haven’t checked in in a while. Hope y’all doing ok. Gertie still doing well. My little show bunny

Attachments

• IMG_2361.MOV
    10 MB

Latest posts

Back