New here! Holland Lop Cuteness Inside!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveLaughLop

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New here to the forum, from Florida! I grew up with two pet store mix breed bunnies and when my 4 year old told me she wanted a bunny for her 5th birthday, I totally jumped all over that! I picked up an adorable purebred Holland Lop buck from a small local breeder, has papers and all that jazz. To be honest, I just went there to meet the bunny, she had no pictures of him at all, I only knew he was a broken black.

Well he looks like Picachu (Pokemon) and he is a total sweetheart. He was born 5/15/14. My kids are away with family on summer vacation while we move across town so they have not met him yet. Until my 5 year old gets home and sees her gift, he will be nameless although I highly suspect his name might end up being Sponge Bob lol

Quick question, he was outside in a cage that has rust. The pads of his feet are orange. Will that go away now that I have him in a cage with no grate?

Here are some cute pictures of our little man!

1405647099796.jpg

1405647156844.jpg

1405647207132.jpg

Last edited:
Super cute! Welcome to the forum!! I've got a purebred holland lop too:)

(Just a side note: if you're trying to litter train the bun, it won't work very well if there's litter all over the cage cause it'll think its a litter box..)

Oh goodness!! I love his pattern! So cute! Yeah I agree about the litter training thing. You have to have something different on the floor to make it easiest to train. Like felt, paper pellets in the litter box, newspaper, etc. ;)

What a cutie. I have lops and mine had yellow feet from the previous owner not changing the litter or cleaning the cage on a regular basis. I can't get over your poor guys feet but you can use vinegar in a spray bottle and then wash the feet good to get that off and see if that will help. Remember to remind kids and adults never squeeze the bunny! Every time someone visits me and wants to hold either Brooke or the new one I have they think squeezing the rabbit is the way to hold it and I'm telling them that is a good way to break their little backs...

Keep us posted and I love the face and pattern. What a cutie! You have to post more pictures!

Vanessa

If those are cedar chips, those are not so good for bunnies. Get the recycled newspaper litter- it doesn't cause cancer like wood chips.

Thanks guys! I plan on taking the litter out of the bottom, I just felt so bad for his feet haha. I also find that he likes to sleep in his litter box! Any other potty training tricks?

The shavings are Aspen and not Cedar or Pine. We have hamsters and so we keep a giant bag of Aspen, is Aspen no long acceptable for small animals?

And here is another pic of our sweet guy!

1405808569859.jpg

Hahaha he so looks like picachu just in black and white lol! Love the markings! Welcome to RO!
~Shell and Shida

HRS (House Rabbit Society) recommends either wood pellets for wood-burning stoves or recycled paper pellets (i.e. Yesterday's News).

Thanks! I actually read from the HRS that Aspen was a good bedding for rabbits. It came up when I searched for bedding for small animals when we got the hamsters lol.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

But they get kicked around so much! The hamsters aren't too bad, but bun has already made a pretty big mess outside of his cage just from moving around. I may try some of the other suggested litters for just the box and see if that makes a difference!

For anyone with a plastic bottom cage like ours, do you leave the bottom uncovered or do you put newspaper or something on it?

Last edited:
Thanks! I actually read from the HRS that Aspen was a good bedding for rabbits. It came up when I searched for bedding for small animals when we got the hamsters lol.

But they get kicked around so much! The hamsters aren't too bad, but bun has already made a pretty big mess outside of his cage just from moving around. I may try some of the other suggested litters for just the box and see if that makes a difference!

For anyone with a plastic bottom cage like ours, do you leave the bottom uncovered or do you put newspaper or something on it?

Didn't know HRS approved aspen. Good to know...

Some like the pelleted litter better, some don't. It took me getting a tall enough litter box for Miss Thing (Trixie, the bunny in my avatar) to not kick out her litter. She's 11 and STILL a spazz, but she's MY spazz lol

I put down a cheapie fleece blanket on the bottom of Moos cage, washable, reusable, and comfortable for the bun. Wouldn't recommend towels though, because if the bun eats the towel, the strings can get caught inside the buns tummy and cause lots of problems.

Didn't know HRS approved aspen. Good to know...

Some like the pelleted litter better, some don't. It took me getting a tall enough litter box for Miss Thing (Trixie, the bunny in my avatar) to not kick out her litter. She's 11 and STILL a spazz, but she's MY spazz lol

Haha our boy spazzes out too, and he isn't very graceful yet lol!

I put down a cheapie fleece blanket on the bottom of Moos cage, washable, reusable, and comfortable for the bun. Wouldn't recommend towels though, because if the bun eats the towel, the strings can get caught inside the buns tummy and cause lots of problems.

Fleece is a great idea, thanks!

I too use blankets, and I plan on making fitted fleece covers soon when I redo our NIC condo. :)

He's a cutie!!! :)

Aspen litter is perfectly safe. I had the same problem though. It tends to get tracked everywhere. I've pretty much tried all the other litters and tend to like the wood pellets the best. They control the odor well, very absorbent, don't get tracked out of the litter box as much, and if you get the stove pellets or horse bedding it is a really good price.

You may find you need a larger litter box than the corner one. Larger rectangular ones tend to work a bit better. Easier to move around in, lounge in :), and you can put a pile of hay in the corner(preferably a non peeing corner) for your bun to eat. Rabbits tend to like to go potty while eating, so this helps encourage litter box use. I also like to put a thin layer of hay over the pellet litter, to make it a bit softer on their feet. Here's a good example of a litter box set up like this:
http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/litter-box-training/litterbox-setup-success-0

Newspaper or fleece are both good floor coverings. If your bun likes to rip and shred, then newspaper can get quite messy, though it does provide them with a fun activity :) Fleece can tend to attract peeing accidents. Something about soft things and peeing. So fleece may or may not work, and it can also be a bit hot for them in the summer. A lot of buns just prefer to flop out on the cool plastic bottom. You'll just have to try a few different things to see what your bun likes best. You'll find that what your rabbits likes and what works best, is a lot of trial and error. I've changed litter boxes and set ups numerous times, to find what works best for my rabbits. What works for one may not work well for another.

If you do opt for no fleece on the cage bottom, then just keep an eye on your buns hocks(heels) to make sure they don't get sore. Some rabbits are more prone to sore hocks than others, and hard floors can sometimes aggravate this. Most rabbits will have a bit of a bald patch on the heel, sometimes with a bit of a callous. You just don't want it looking really red and inflamed or have an open wound. So just something to keep an eye on.

Feline Pine is great also tractor supply has the 40lb wood stove pellets for like 5.50 a bag. If he starts to get red sore spots get some preparation H and put that on his feet where it's red. Works like a charm.

Latest posts

Back