New here and also have questions :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baska

Reaction score
Hi there! I've been browsing aroundtrying to find a good rabbit forum and I kinda hopped onto this one:DI'm a new rabbit owner...I just receieved 'Jack' 2 daysago. For about a monthI've beenvisiting apet shopand I couldn't stand it any longer to see him hunchedup in a lil cage with another rabbit. I just decided to lethim out of his cage today and he was having such a great time jumpingaround and hiding in a cardboard box. He decided to lay downsoI layed down about a foot away from him. Hedidn't even flinch! So, I thought I'd try to pet him...as Islowly moved my hand twords him he pinned his ears back and lunged atme. I'm not sure if it's that he dosen't know mewell,or ifits' from being in a pet shop for solong,OR he misses his buddy that was in the cage withhim. I've been trying to start the bonding but he just won'tlet me touch him at all. I tried to hand feed him treats andhe's ok with that but as soon asI go to pet him he skiddishlyhops away. Is there anything I can do to help himadjust? Is there any other way to bondwithhim? Or should I give him time? Any sugestions arehighly appriciated:D

~Baska~

Welcome again, Baska,

Give Jack some time. He doesn't know to love you as much as you lovehim yet. He's probably been freaked out with most of the contact he'shad with people, so start out very slowly. Don't try to pet him fornow, just give him his space and give him his treats if he goes in thelitterbox if you've got him inside.

When I first got my rabbit, he never tried to bite me, but I swear hewouldn't let me really pet him for months unless it was to say goodnight. It was killing me because I had this adorable little rabbit, butI couldn't touch him. He's not like that anymore. (I'd definitelyrecommend you petting him good night when it's lights out. I've foundthat and feedings at the same time every day a great way to build abond and trust.) When I'd bend down to pet him, even after months offeeding and cleaning up after him and litterbox training him, he stillwould beat feed away from me. I got to the point of thinking, "If youdon't want me to pet you, Fine. I'm not going your way Any Way!" I'dsit on the floor, and still do, and he'd hop up on me and I wouldn'ttry to touch him because he'd be sniffing his pompous nose up in theair at me. It gave him a chance to check me out.

Ease into it, give him some space, feed him at the same time every day,talk to him a lot, get on his level, and before you know it, he'll becoming to visit you. He'll relax. I wouldn't try to pick him up much atthis point. Just let him get used to his new home and surroundings;which it sounds like he's already made himself quite at home stretchingout near you. That's a great sign right there, but let him come to you.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Two days...a bit quick to achieve all that you aretrying to do. Buns don't like changes. Give himsome time to acclimate to his new surroundings, like a week or two.

Obviously, feed and water him, speak to him gently, in a cooing voice,but don't try to grab him or expect him to come running up toyou for a while.

Buck

Baska Welcome and Congratulations!!

It does take time. I wanted to do nothing but pet and love on Athenawhen I brought her. But she wanted no part. I had to content myself tolaying on the floor near her. It took a little more than a week for herto come up to me. It will happen.

Enjoy getting to know your new baby.

Tina

When I first got Jade and Jezebel they were totallap bunnies, then they grew into their "own" and wanted nothing to dowith me. NOW.......6 months later :) Jezebel is finally letting me pickher up VERY briefly only to look into a room that is usually offlimits, and the pets? It all depends on her mood, if she is layingdown, sure but not when she is exploring. Jade on the other hand cannow be stopped dead in her tracks for a good pet, she immediatly bowsher little head down and gets comfy forit! Time, time andmore time.

Cher

Latest posts

Back