New hedgehog to meet my two bonded bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samanthaann

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a hedgehog to a pair of bonded, neutered male buns? I'm not going to house them together, but I was wondering if anyone has a hedgie and has any tips of tricks for making the transition/introduction less stressful?

Honestly, I probably would not try it. A rabbits first instinct is usually to try and gain dominance (aka humping) and I don't think that would go over well, for the bunny or the hedgie.

Also, do you happen to know if there are any transferable diseases between them? I have to keep my Chinchilla completely seperate from the rabbits since the chinchilla can be effected by the pastuerella bacteria rabbits carry.

I also agree with the above. I would definitely not try it! It could prove terrible for bunny and hedgie!

I would first see how they do interacting through the bars of a cage, or while the hedgie is in your hands. I can't imagine they would get along well enough to be let out loose together, but it all depends on their personalities I guess. Some buns can get along with cats and dogs just fine, and others get really territorial or are terrified. Be very careful!

Also agreed, I wouldn't do it. All the animals that live in my house have at least seen eachother which is nice because then at least they know who they're smelling, but I wouldn't expect a rabbit to be friends with any species but its own (and, to some degree, us humans of course).

Latest posts

Back