new food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubagirl68

Reaction score
I started giving my rabbit new food yesterday,and she isn't really eating it, and she began lunging at me. I used togive her "Extrusions" pellets and she would eat them the second I putthem in her bowl. The new food is a mixture of seeds, cord, vitamins,and pellets. It's a "gourmet mix". I'm wondering if I should just giveher time, or if I should try and get the old food again (I won't beable to until the weekend).

Hi!

I'm new, but I have read that rabbits should not eat foods that havethe corn and seeds and other extra stuff in it to look appetizing to*OUR* eyes, but rather, they should stick to the plain timothy haypellets and be free fed fresh timothy hay daily.

I could be wrong, but I would also like to know the answer to this question.

~Denise

it's always best to buy one kind of rabbit foodall the time, as changes in food can upset their tummies. also.. thatgourmet stuff can not only cause blockages, but makes rabbits obese.it's best to buy a pellet with JUST pellets and nothing else. how oldis she? she's most likely lunging at you because it's time for her tobe spayed by a knowledgable rabbit vet.. not because she doesn't likeher food.

and adult rabbits can be healthy on alfalfa pellets, just make surethey're limited and they have access to timothy hay, not alfalfa hay..at all times.

If you have no other choice, she should be finewith the gourmet till the weekend. But generally the "gourmet" mixturesare bad for bunnies. The extruded alfalfa should be fine.

You should go over and check out the variousarticles and threads here in the site about food. If youcheck out the "101" section about what to feed your bun, it providesthe following article, which has a section about corn and seeds.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

The site has the following to say about corn and seeds:

A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT CORN AND OTHER SEEDS Some types of seeds(especially things like "Canadian peas" and corn kernels) have hullsthat are indigestible to a rabbit, and can cause life-threateningintestinal impactions/blockages. Corn, fresh or dried, is NOTsafe for rabbits. The hull of corn kernels is composed of a complexpolysaccharide (not cellulose and pectin, of which plant cell walls aremore commonly composed, and which a rabbit can digest) which rabbitscannot digest. We know of more than one rabbit who suffered intestinalimpactions because of the indigestible corn hulls. After emergencymedical treatment, when the poor rabbits finally passed the corn, theirfecal pellets were nearly solid corn hulls! Those rabbits were lucky.

Hopefully this'll answer your question. :)

Be sure to read everything else it says about bun diet, too. There's LOADS of great information there! :)

P.S. Here's the thread I found that site:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

:)

Thanks,
The whole "gourmet" thing wasn't my intention, it was a friend whopicked it up for me mistakingly. I decided earlier to just dump thegourmet mix, as she really didn't seem interested in it. So the lungingthing can't be related to the food? Because it only really began afterI switched her food. It is time for her to be spayed, I booked anappointment for her earlier, but it had to be cancelled because she hadpinworm. Hopefully she is clear now and I can get the spay done.

Latest posts

Back